Corporate inclusiveness

This game is a mess in more ways than I care to explain. I would normally just move on, but I spent a decent chunk of $ on the digital deluxe version of this game from the Epic store. Now that the novelty has worn off, I hardly touch this game anymore. Nerfs or buffs don’t even matter when people are editing their own items and playing online . It pains me to say this, but this game is complete and utter steaming pile of failure.

The main reason this game is an abomination is that we, the true Borderlands fans, were forced to endure a story and characters that were such a massive departure from what made this game great and what we expected. Like a Super Bowl ad, It reeks of corporate inclusiveness messaging. The suits in charge may have thought the writing was a good idea, but they don’t play games. Borderlands 3 may have sold well initially, but the Twitch streaming stats speak for themselves. Like a WNBA game, no one is watching…

11 Likes

Bl2 I think had more game breaking bugs that I recall, yes bl3 crashes for me time to time but bl2 was literally unplayable for many people with the stacking save glitch and that took maybe 3 months to fix. I know it was around when Scarlett’s DLC came out.

Yes we have bugs but its playable and most times I don’t notice anything.

8 Likes

So stuff like… female characters… make a game an ‘abomination’? Seems a rather extreme perspective. (I may be wrong about what you’re referring to here as I really don’t see anything resembling it).

Yeah. Tbh I wasn’t sure bl3 would play on my ancient rig at all, but it’s comparatively good. I appreciate why people are frustrated when they encounter bugs, but given that they really don’t manifest for everyone I’m not convinced that this is Gbx seeing a bundle of errors and thinking ‘ah who cares about fixing those, launch it anyway’.

10 Likes

Blockquote
So stuff like… female characters…

Blockquote

No. It has nothing to do with the gender of the characters. It’s their story lines, how they were crafted as characters, and the themes. Go back and play the original game and look at what they left out and what they inserted. Many people have commented on the same thing. Compared to the original game’s character and story line elements, I think calling B3 an abomination is being kind. Fans of Borderlands didn’t get what they were expecting. I can live with bugs and whatever else, but I don’t need corporate inclusiveness shoved down my throat after I leave that environment and come home to play a video game…a game that never had those themes in any of it’s other iterations. Games are supposed to be an escape. - and this game in particular - they ruined it. I’m not the only one saying this…watch any independent video review and they all will say the same thing: This game has the most annoying characters and out-of-place / tacked-on politically correct story elements inserted into a game that has always been the opposite.

6 Likes

Could you give some detail about what this refers to? I’m still not much the wiser about what themes and characterisation you have a problem with.

By the original game, do you mean Borderlands 1? If so it seems a bit random to insist that the story should follow the same themes.

Not quite sure what “corporate inclusiveness” there is here. The game isn’t trying to sell random Gearbox products… It doesn’t stop dead and have a character explain why you should buy a plushie in support of feminism. The “themes” you describe might well be in there because the writing team feels passionately about them. The idea that they did it to curry popularity or for financial gain doesn’t make any sense if everyone is reacting negatively to it in the way you describe.

Still not entirely sure what you mean so it’s hard to address it, but this is most definitely not the first game to have generated anxiety or disgust for players who don’t like its “politically correct” storyline. The number of threads I’ve seen complaining about Springs’ sexuality on exactly the same lines that Fl4k’s gender is criticised is pretty large.

4 Likes

I don’t quite know what you mean by this, can you clarify.

4 Likes

Hm, that’s a new one. Gotta fetch my Thesaurus Rex.

abandons thread

10 Likes

Is there a kind of inclusiveness that you do like?

“the practice or policy of including people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized, such as those who have physical or mental disabilities and members of minority groups”

6 Likes

I would be here all day if I wrote out my reasoning with examples, since I know every fanboy will attempt to rip me to shreds. I’ll summarize - just look at the characters they chose to include, what role they gave them, and the dialogue they were assigned. Look at who was marginalized or left out entirely. Too many themes like female empowerment (way over done), non-standard family, sexuality, body-type acceptance, are all forced into the game. Hardly any of it naturally fit it into the game, but it was done just to make a statement. They didn’t leave any topic untouched and we ultimately pay the price. The jokes weren’t funny at all either, because everything felt forced. The only person who was funny was Ice-T, but even his jokes were forced.

And last but certainly not least, Ava. My character probably uttered 2 words, but I have to endure this whiny, snot rag ON TOP of 2 douchie millennial streamers? The net sum of all of this ends up equating to a game that makes you cringe any time anyone opens their mouths. I can count the number of times I laughed on one hand.

5 Likes

Categorizing anyone who disagrees with you as a fanboy isn’t really a path to meaningful discussion, though, is it? I’m assuming you’d rather not be categorised and thus dismissed for holding a particular view? If, for example, you’re a straight white cis male, you don’t think your view should be disregarded on that basis, right?

9 Likes

Is there a kind of inclusiveness that you do like?

No, in a video game, honestly there isn’t. I don’t think trying to blend how you treat people in reality into a game where you’re shooting thousands of people in the head even make sense.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like you’re keen on debating the point, but I will ask…

Who? Aren’t you just asking for a different kind of inclusiveness here?

6 Likes

What about people who fit a minority category, don’t you think it might be meaningful or make sense to them?

2 Likes

Blockquote
I think you just categorized me. But regardless, I don’t blame you - because it would make sense.

‘IF, for example’.

I have no idea who you are. But should I then disregard you because of that categorisation, regardless of accuracy, or not?

2 Likes

Did you get everyone? You go down a slippery slope attempting to do that. This is supposed to be a game, not a tool for reinforcing everyone’s security.

2 Likes

So who decides how much is enough in a game designed by Gearbox? You? Me? Or Gearbox? Which other forms of media shouldn’t have social comments in them?

(Btw, there are a few more queries upthread that I think you missed)

3 Likes

That is a new term for it but ok.

I just don’t understand the negative, I don’t see a gay character and say “hey they are shoving that thing down my throat” which I will say in this thread as well that choice of phrasing is quite interesting.

I don’t see a big girl like Ellie and think anything of it, I just see Ellie.

I don’t see a trans character and think anything of it.

I don’t see a black character and think anything of it.

These are all things I see in real life on a weekly basis.

So it just seems natural to me, I don’t see any agenda or purpose.

I guess the question is why does it make you uncomfortable?

11 Likes

Typing “if for example” is your get of out jail free card? We all know what you meant, including me and it’s probably right. I’m not going to respond to everything because I need to get back to work, but I don’t want moral or political anything in a game. My whole point is leave that ■■■■ out and stick to story telling the way it was originally done. This story is all over the place for the sake of covering everyone. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the story suffers and characters that were the highlights of borderlands are all marginalized to make room for this or that. Nothing bothers me personally.

3 Likes

Again, what other kinds of media shouldn’t have social commentary? Don’t we tell stories because of the moral or political content?

1 Like