Could More SHIFT Codes Help?

I’ve thought frequently since Battleborn release about how under-utilized SHIFT codes / rewards have been thus far.

Especially with for how long and how many people have been saying that certain lootpacks are either too expensive and / or can take a frustratingly long time to yield the taunt / skin / piece of gear that you want.

I know it wouldn’t fix the real scary problems of matchmaking / player experience gaps / player base, but it couldn’t hurt and could maybe help stir up or maintain interest?

Start putting out a few (or more) SHIFT codes a week.

Have the SHIFT codes provide a mix of different lower end loot packs, a smaller number of higher end lootpacks, a certain number of gears for each rarity, skins, taunts, experience or credit boosters, etc.

Or maybe institute a golden key system a la Borderlands?

Or possibly even a Grinder system where you couid combine unwanted gear in the hopes of a better piece of higher rarity gear?

I realize this would probably eat into their micro transaction profits, but I truly think it could generate a lot of good will.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

No, simply because the people who use and follow the shift codes are the ones who are already invested in the game. This game needs more casual players to make the player base larger. Yea, a shift code more often may keep some diehards from leaving, but that is something to stem the bleeding and not reverse the trends.

4 Likes

@vegancookies5

You don’t think the promise of some free guaranteed weekly or few times weekly quality loot would be an incentive to bring in some new players or entice back players who had left?

no…I still have a ton for PreSequel, use them for what…Purple gear in a Gold chest? Gosh :pensive:
In BB when they work we get Purple skins.

3 Likes

More shifts would be good for the people sticking around, but considering the number of issues that have popped up with previous shifts I can’t see it doing much to stem the tide.

Please, no, on the grinder. I thought it was a nifty addition to Borderlands at first, but the more I used it to get the items I wanted the more I realized I wasn’t actually playing the game anymore. Instead of playing around and going after specific enemies, “grinding” as it were, I was just going back and forth to the grinding machine. I’m not saying that’s singularly the reason I didn’t like the pre-sequal as much as the sequal, but it’s definitely up there.

2 Likes

Rewards behind shift code is a part of the problems that made that game lose its active player base.
Shift codes may be nice for mostly solo/co-op with friends games like borderlands, but that’s awful for a game relying on an active pvp community.
What they needed was a system of rewards behind regularly timed community challenges, repeated time-limited personal challenges, as well as “repeated daily play” rewards.
And they also needed to reward with a bit of platinum someone who played at least one game every day after 6-7 days.

That’s way to keep your playerbase active. This would also have in the end probably resulted in MORE peoples actually buying platinum, ironically, so the whole “not losing money by avoiding giving players platinum for free” doesn’t work here. A more active player base =more peoples tempted to buy some even if we win a little for free every week. Heck, even I may have bought some if I saw that the community was healthy.
There is tons of small mistakes like that, and adding them one by one is how you don’t keep your playerbase.

3 Likes