Cringe overload during the conclusion of the Claptrap and Veronica story... (SPOILERS)

Please, tell me that this line was sarcastic… please, tell me this line was sarcastic… Because if it wasn’t, then I’m very concerned with the direction Gearbox is going with the Borderlands’s story, especially considering on how the story is being heavily criticized by pretty much everyone right now, I really hope this scene was supposed to be sarcastic, even if in a distasteful way.

I was already expecting that the conclusion of the Claptrap x Veronica story would definitely end up with Veronica denying Claptrap’s friendship, but when I concluded this quest and saw how the dialogue played out, I just felt disgusted and cringed through the whole thing…

Like, there were so many ways this conclusion could’ve played out, like Veronica simply telling she can’t stand him and going away, or I dunno… politely telling him she’s interested in one of the cleaning robots in Sanctuary… hell, making this scene play with a Borderlands level of humor, but no… the writters had to turn it into a cringefest that wasn’t even funny and made Claptrap sound like a sexist pig, even though the little guy only wanted someone to be with, since he’s was the only Claptrap that wasn’t destroyed…

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you, Gearbox? What the hell are you doing with this series?

3 Likes

They took the line straight from pop culture, how is that any different from their usual?

1 Like

I see no issues with it. It kind of feels like it’s a jab at the odd guys and gals who create virtual partners. But I’m pretty sure that it’s a reference to something else.

1 Like

I was rooting for ol’ Clappy, but expecting him to fail.
Said failure amused me. Especially when they subtitled the ‘ugly crying and sniffling’. When I did it, however, Claptrap said something after he got up which wasn’t in this video. I can’t remember what the line was, so I figured that had to be what was cringeworthy. So… where was the cringe supposed to be?

3 Likes

I found it pretty hamfisted too.

In their conversations before this she doesn’t seem to mind him. Honestly, the real joke would have been if she actually likes him, the one person in the world who likes claptrap.

@jgartenbenz OP cringed at the “strong, independent woman” bit. I thought that was a wink-at-the-camera thing. Nobody would write that unironically into a rant like this… would they?

4 Likes

Hasn’t that line been meme’d into the ground enough that everybody should take it as a joke even if it was intended to be serious?

2 Likes

Huh. I have…a lot of mixed feelings about that.
On the one hand, it’s funny cause it happens to Claptrap, the universe’s chew toy.
On the other hand, holy ■■■■, I actually feel bad for Claptrap.

4 Likes

The way I see it, it is a satire at Veronica. Kinda funny I felt.

1 Like

Moved to the spoilers section.

Oh boy…I mean: Come on. Are you even serious?
God, it really feels kinda hard these days to take a look into this forum.
Don´t take me wrong. Everyone can has his opinion and bring it to the table. But…this?!
It just feels like many guys here are just here to criticise…are here cause they kinda feel themselves “forced” to jump on this critisism-train. To be part of it.
Dude - if u even have the least portion of “fear” when facing sometimes cringe dialogues. How could you even stay that long besides this franchise? Or is this your first Borderlands? This would at least explain some ■■■■.
A whole text/thread for this…What´s about this forum?! Damn…Just shout out your ■■■■! But then…I don´t know…leave the game if your not able to enjoy?
Really…This all for a damn, single line, which - in my opinion - you totally overrate and overintrepretate. At the end of a quest, most of the community will never see ( Should be no argument right here). That´s just disgusting.
At least get a real benchmark, if you really want to jump on this train, create your own thread.

But I mean: You´re totally right. This sentence also ruined the whole series for me. What did gearbox even allow themself?!

Some people in here should really tryhard to find enjoyment in their lifes again and see some things from another perspective…I don´t know…

1 Like

Why not?

Well it sets with the all the other parts of bl3 are “woke” take that as u will the main story isnt even u as a lead but the females npcs are.And"woke"/ woman power and what not thats the clear path bl3 went.
I found a lot of the things in bl3 to be cringy as hell.And this is comeing from some one that out right loved bl2.

4 Likes

I get I’m late but I thought this game already has a few other similar jokes in it somewhere. Why is this a surprise especially when it’s Cl4p?

It has to be this way because if the roles were reversed … if claptrap built veronica but suddenly decided he wasn’t interested in her, and she threw a fits, launched herself at the floor and started crying … can you imagine the response?

There are no fewer than 3 “shoot them in the dick” moments in BL3.

Isn’t it obvious that gearbox hates men?

2 Likes

I wish there were an option to shoot and destroy Veronica, Yeah, we were the ones to physically go out and gather the parts, but it’s Claptrap who thought of it AND built her, there was literally no reason for her to be so damn horrible to him.

3 Likes