DAE files exported from 3DS Max crash the game

Essentially, any DAE that I export from Max and run through HODOR crashes the game.

If I take the DAE for the Turanic carrier, for example, import it into Max and export it without any changes then run it through HODOR, the game will crash if I enter a scene with the carrier in it.

However, if I take the DAE files from the examples and run them through HODOR directly without involving Max, the game runs fine.

I am using the default settings for importing and exporting the DAE files, and am using 3DS Max 2015 with FBX Import 2015.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out your hwrm.log file. it’s in bin/release

Thanks for the response. The log file says that zero sub-meshes were found and suggests that I am running an old version of the exporter. Perhaps the FBX 2015 exporter isn’t compatible with HODOR? That doesn’t seem likely.

Check Post #18

Works. Thanks a ton. I probably should’ve searched around a bit more before making a thread…

Let us know if this fixes your problem.

The problem with the default model is fixed. However, I still get the zero sub-mesh crash when I try to import a custom model using the proper DAE settings. Could someone explain what sub-meshes are exactly?

Refers to your model itself. Double check that your mesh objects have the correct MULT[meshname] format in 3dsmax. Sounds like the meshes are either not named correctly or are not being included when you’re exporting the dae or converting it to hod.

Also study the examples in Max’s schematic view and compare them to yours. I suspect something might be awry in your hierarchy.

1 Like

You were right about my hierarchy being incorrect. However, I now encounter a new error in HODOR.

This is my current hierarchy:

And this is what is now displayed in HODOR:

This error was not displayed when my hierarchy was incorrect.

The .HOD is still generated despite these errors being shown, but, as expected, they crash the game with the zero-submesh error.

To clarify, I am editing the Turanic Carrier but I have a custom model that is using the P1 Mothership name and borrowing the rig.

If you look in the DAE you should see an immediate child to the JNT[P1Mothership] node that is the MULT[P1xxx] - but in this case that doesn’t happen. There’s an extra node (with additional transforms) in the middle. Make sure that your MULT has ZERO local transforms relative to the parent JNT. Reset XForm, etc.

Reset XForm did the trick. It’s working perfectly now. Thanks to all three of you for the wonderful help. You are my savior. I am your son.

Hi All,

I got this same “un-reset xform” error but there’s no levels between the joint and the meshes, am I missing something?

I did find that xform button on the right side, and selected each of the meshes (even the collision meshes) but there wasn’t any effect :confused:

After you hit the reset xform button, you have to go “collapse” the modifier. Go back to the “modify” tab and right click on the reset xform listing in the modifier stack and choose “collapse.”

1 Like

It seems to be working now! Thank you! I just need to get my ship to not be over 100km long now :smiley:

//EDIT:

■■■■ this is painful! I get the ship to be at the right scale (with the Axis all wrong now somehow) but even though the joints and all that are in the right spot in MAX they’re not off 100x too far in the distance! Why does the scale in MAX just not work :cry:

Ok, so the main problems are:

  1. Scale something in MAX = no difference in DAE file
  2. Rotate something in MAX = no difference in DAE file
  3. Scale issues, somehow all joints and markers are 100x further out than they should be

I was able to reimport the ship mesh after scaling it in MilkShape and it has stayed the right size (but not orientation), now the joints look right but are in fact wrong.

Why does MAX let you edit something then not have that reflect when you export it? This is infuriating!

Yes, Max is frustrating as hell.

It sounds like one of your dummy objects/markers is scaled and is throwing off all the stuff parented to it. Easiest way I’ve found to check the scale on objects is by pulling up the scale dialog box and clicking on each item in turn and seeing if anything’s scale is set to something other than 100%. See blue highlights in below image.

Also, there’s a right-click > “unlink selection” option in the Scene Explorer window that comes in handy when you’re futzing with objects that need to be reset etc.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

if you think scaling is frustrating, wait until you need to rescale an animated model because it is too small. The best solution is to go to the utilities tab and utilize rescale world coordinates and actually rescale the entire world!

1 Like