Yes, promote it, but be cautious in your promotion.
Some forms of promotion can be inappropriate.
EXAMPLES OF INAPPROPRIATE FORMS OF PROMOTION:
- Firing a rocket launcher in the middle of a crowded Wal-Mart whist shouting the name of one of the game’s protagonists in aggressive monotone.
- Firing t-shirts with the game’s logo from a t-shirt cannon through the closed windows of a school bus while they’re stuck in traffic whilst in your underpants and also covered in chicken blood.
- Sending cryptic Tweets written in Klingon on the game’s official Twitter page that when translated seem like death threats because everything in Klingon sounds like, and probably is, a death threat.
- Buying 400 tons of Florida oranges, slapping stickers with the game’s name on them, and dropping them from the sky on unsuspecting New Yorkers.
- Viral marketing the game. With actual viruses.