Dear gearbox, please add dlc characters, revamp skill trees for siren and zane, and allow customisable skin/gear options

Buff Zane for the love of god, the drone is SUPER WEAK, the Shield is useless a bunch of times and the Clone is not even that good.

Make the Drone and Clone deal a lot of damage and make the Shield regenerate AMMO.

If you just keep playing the game, you’ll probably eventually find the “Mane Event” head mod that I think will be more your tastes for her hair.

Skin tone and abs…I think you’re gonna be out of luck on those. In today’s sociopolitical climate, game devs are very hesitant to include white women with traditional supermodel bodies.

Is that why Gearbox made horse head mods and skins that make human characters look like cyborgs?

Well they have, none of the Sirens have been implied to actually be the mythological or religious figures claimed. That said they started out with a clear pattern, and my point is that they seemed to violate their own canon. I mean sure it’s possible that someone like Amara is simply choosing not to use her given name, but I’d think that would be something that should be made clear when it comes to a playable character.

That said we will likely have to agree to disagree. As I just got accused of racism (love today’s discourse) I’m about to back out of any discussion here, though I did flag the message. It’s one of the reasons I’m less than enthusiastic about continued discussion of the topic. I’m not even going to bother to explain or justify my comment as that allows people who drop bombs like that to “win” and defuse conversations. I think to most it’s pretty obvious what I was saying.

1 Like

Actually I got the impression Tyreen was lying, as did many others. Ditto for Steele’s name. I just checked sources for a THIRD time and let’s just say throwing out terms like “head canon” doesn’t do much to validate your point when I already said we would likely have to agree to disagree here.

That said, yes, I am one of “those guys” who believes that in an ongoing universe the writers should remain consistent, and over time integrity of an ongoing universe with a huge following takes precedence over the creative desires of even the original writers. Both “Star Wars” and “Star Trek” are good examples of what happens when care is not taken with an ongoing universe’s lore and mythology. Something that could last forever winds up being destroyed due to writers, an initial team, or a new one, deciding they want to change or re-define things. While this issue with Borderlands is a small one, it’s the kind of thing that snowballs into something going from a property with millions of rabid fans, to a fringe community of apologists.

As far as Maya goes having a mythological name does not mean following the ethnicity perfectly in these terms, as I doubt the Sirens were literally supposed to be the beings the have the names of, though they might in some cases have a connection (that part has never been explained). For example Lilith isn’t from the Middle East (it’s doubtful the biblical Lilith would have looked caucasian either if anyone cares). The issue is entirely in the name. Unless “Amara” is an assumed identity or nickname/handle sort of like “Scooter” or “Firehawk” it seems unlikely given the initial patterns established that this would be her actual name.

As far as comments about Commandant Steele goes, again, this was discussed heavily even before there was a Borderlands 2, and I believe there were some comments from the writers about that not being her actual name. That said I cannot prove this at the moment (and I have been digging) which is why I am leaving it at “agree to disagree”.

Have you played the other borderlands games? Sirens are always sought after in nearly every game they have been in. They are extremely powerful.

What is wrong with Amara? I am going damage elemental Amara at the moment, and I am in M3, and having a blast with her. Don’t really see much of an issue. She has some absolutely insane survivability, arguably one of the tankiest in the game. 25% health per second at nearly 100% uptime? Pretty insane really.

She can go full melee and shred. I think she is one of the few who all 3 trees can be good in all their respective rights at this moment.

If anything, Zane might need some tweaking, and Moze’s Orange tree might need some tweaking, as her bear machine doesn’t scale up nearly as well as others do, even when trying to focus on just it, and FL4K’s pet build might need some tweaking.

But after that I think that we can have some really diverse playstyles after that.

You forget Steele. And the girl in the BL1 comic book (which is apparently considered canon)

2 Likes

no i def included steele. I wasn’t aware of the girl - any details on her? yeah the comics are canon tho bc they were meant to provide story in between the games being “finished”

nice to see you again buddy :slight_smile:

Or, just maybe, he or she (not going to presume) is a fan of the show Supernatural, that has a pretty bad ass character named Amara. Like she (or he, still not presuming) said.

How about you dial it back about 50% there.

Or, how about we educate. For example, everyone tends to think of Amara based off of the Indian race when it is more likely that she is Pakistani.

Yes, you know that country that used to be part of India until the split in the early 1900’s.

Amara is a Muslim name comes from Urdu (the religion and language of Pakistan). The voice actress is also Muslim and speaks Urdu.

Snark without education is just being a spiteful little Richard.

Let’s try to drop the passive aggressive tones…

1 Like

Amara is Arabic female name the name is also written with ending letter H. The name is shortened version of the Ancient Greek name Amarantham meaning ‘eternally beautiful’ or ‘one who will be forever beautiful’.

Sorry mate, looks like Gearbox not only managed to pull an Urdu name but they tied it to the Greeks also, locking in the siren lore as well. Lol

1 Like

You’ve come in very heated and I was recommending you dial it back while making a point.

Instead of attacking how about we ask for clarification. The poster you rashed over the name was just letting his opinion be known about it not tying in, and how if they were making her Indian why didn’t they use an Indian name.

That argument was flawed and could easily have been corrected by saying what I did.

I’m sorry this upsets you, but if you keep lashing out unprovoked than your just as bad as the people you lash out at.

1 Like

Maybe they just saw the name somewhere and thought it sounded cool? Maybe there is a secret real life cult of the sirens that Gearbox writers are basing their character names off of?

Maybe y’all are reading far too much into a fictional video game characters name?

1 Like

Or maybe the writers did the work and research. And just maybe we can appreciate that just a little.

I know, it doesn’t fit in to the narrative that they were just jerking off and forrest gumped their way into a winning narrative but hey, it is a maybe.

Sure, anything is possible. But why would the writers be researching obscure occult and mythological meanderings when their game is purely a fiction of its own? What need is there to inject historically accurate or mythological facts?

I’m mean, I’m sure as with all great art, the artist draws upon inspiration from various places but this thread sounds like it is trying to force a theory that all the siren names and characters are somehow universally linked via linguistics, religion and mythology.

The reality is that it’ss far more likely that the individual siren characters are just built based on their own internal conversations and storyboarding. While they may snag a name or other tidbit that lines up with a cultural profile here or there(Lilith/Amara) it’s highly unlikely that they setnout with the intention of making their characters historically aligned with anything at all and far more likely that it’s just mere coincidence.

Several facts:

#1: I have not complained about an West Asian Woman being present in the game. Anyone who thinks that is entirely wrong. Everything I have said has been entirely based around naming conventions and a pattern. Indeed my entire point was that if they wanted to have a more diverse roster that is fine, but I was saying that they likely should have used a mythological name (like Kali) from the region.

Now to be fair India and Pakistan hate each other, and if Amara is supposed to be Pakistani it becomes a more complicated issue as the Muslim faith has fewer specific “empowered women” good or evil to represent this. I still maintain however that even if the actress is Pakistani it seems likely Kali was the intended inspiration given the depictions of that goddess and the way the arms manifest when Amara uses her powers.

#2: Amara is a name used in Pakistan and India but it is NOT from that region, it’s origins are Greek and Nigerian. I know because I looked it up before I posted anything in a search to see if there were any actual “goddess” or “demon” type characters, or really any women of mythological or religious signifigance under that name, I was unable to find any. If you do a search for it this information should be easy to verify as well as the meaning of the name.

That said as I warned if you search for things like “Goddess Amara” you are likely to find a lot of adult entertainers (of the Dominatrix variety). One was the top search result when I used those words together, and I ran into a few others (though it might have been the same person in different places, I didn’t research it that heavily).

#3: Simply due to the stink I did some digging on the whole “Siren Naming” issue, even beyond the initial search I did, and since I was trying to avoid exactly this kind of confrontation I will put it to you this way. We are likely to get no answer, however I am not exactly wrong. Out there in the wild world of the interwebs the bottom line seems to be said that people who think along the lines I do are largely remembering things said by a guy named “Anothy Burch” who was the writer for Borderlands 2. He left the company in 2015 which makes this controversial. I am not sure what happened there, but in doing a couple of checks it seems like a lot of what he said about Borderlands can’t be easily vefified. That said the point here is that while I could be wrong, unless Anothy wants to pop in and set the story straight (as a former lead writer) we will have to agree to disagree. For obvious reasons I didn’t want to start dropping names, but apparently this is one that comes up.

At any rate, this is a key element of why being consistent in an ongoing universe has to be a #1 priority for teams, even when they change writers. Companies that control ongoing IPs (Star Wars, Star Trek, Borderlands, comics) need to take the attitude that new writers are just borrowing the IP for a while and have all the answers written down somewhere (even if they are supposed to be a secret). Otherwise you create a mess, new writers need to be prevented from “doing their own thing” or “putting a new spin on it” or “updating it to current attitudes” if they want to do any of those things it’s time for them to write a new IP and see if it sells. Or such is my attitude.

#4: I am not “upset” about anything, though I put more time into this than most things of the sort, as it got my attention. Rather it’s those who have been attacking me (well mostly one person who I flagged) who have been “upset”.

In closing I will say this. False accusations of racism (and I neither said or implied anything remotely racist) are just as bad, if not worse, than actual racism. Going after people who drop “isms” in posts under false pretexts should be a top priority for moderators along with other kinds of similar behavior. It’s my opinion the person who accused me of racism should at least be suspended, and probably “flagged” as a trouble maker for a while to see if there is a pattern of behavior of making these kinds of personal attacks when they said something.

Understand also, I could be wrong about the Siren naming thing, I do not think I am however, though I suspect under these circumstances we will never know. I think Borderlands probably had too many people contributing to it to really answer whether this intent was there or not. THAT SAID I have a right to be wrong on the internet without being attacked, and I certainly have a right to be protected against being called a racist over something like this. Please note even in the response above it was explained very specifically “you were called a racist for being against there being a West Indian woman in the game” I never said anything of the sort, I simply questioned the characters name, and said multiple times she was a fine character. Indeed I plan to play her after Fl4k… I just think they should have given her a mythological or religious name. There is nothing remotely racist about this, and this is why the mod-hammer should have fallen on that guy in my opinion, whether they like what I was saying or not. I guess it might be too late now, but if we want to keep these forums civil allowing people to casually drop “ists” and “isms” to personally attack anyone saying something they don’t like (even if the person is clearly wrong) has to be stopped. Given how common it is nowadays it should probably be close to the top of things a mod steps in on… however they chose not to do so, and it’s not my place to say more about it as I’m not trying to “mod the mods” and am simply commenting since I talked about it happening.

I doubt anyone read all this, I already get the impression people did not read a lot of what I actually posted, but for anyone who actually cares this should set the record straight.

1 Like

My last post was long, but I am going to point out I also flagged this post for attention. The reason is your outright lying about me here (which takes some audacity given that my messages are still up). I never, ever, said “I am mad because of a west asian woman being portrayed in a video game”. I never said anything of the sort, I never even said Amara was a bad character.

As such I have been accused of racism, and now a lie is being put out to try and support that accusation, and this is why such behavior needs to be moderated in forums like this.

I just re-read everything I wrote, and you’d REALLY have to stretch to remotely justify what is being said here, so as far as I’m concerned that’s a personal attack, probably motivated because you don’t like what I’m saying about game-lore, and as such I think action should be taken.

All told I am going to drop this now, regardless of what else is said or done, as I have better things to discuss and I’ve said everything that needs to be said at this point. I do hope if Gearbox wants to run good forums though that they keep things reasonable, and civil, by taking action against posts like this.

1 Like

Going to be opening this back up in a while, once we get everyone’s inability to keep ad hominem off this forum in check.

People should expect some PMs.

A bunch of people should expect PMs.

Any and all personal attacks on any user are immediate violations. This is a discussion board about ideas, not some kind of character assessment survey. Several mods asked for civility, and none arrived, so after responding to a multitude of flags, here we are.

Again, Gearbox cares about your opinion on their games and your ideas on them. Stick to that. Disagree on that. You want to insult one another? You’ve got the rest of the internet to do it.