Defeat by surrender? More like defeat by disconnect! (Am I right, am I right?!)

Oh no, another surrender topic… Bear with me folks, bear with me!
(It’s more about disconnects, than surrenders… Kinda)

We have all experienced the following…

You are owning the other team, they are miles behind, you are killing them one after another… Hahaha! I am the victor, look how awesome I am, what chumps!

Or

You are trying your hardest, desperately trying to claw at any chance of a win, seem like you are getting a few kills but still getting no where on the score board, this sucks!

Next thing you know, surrender happens, whether you are the victor and it pops up as a win, or you are the one having to reluctantly reach for the surrender option and call it quits…

On the screen flashes “Victory by surrender” or “Defeat by surrender”…

The score board then shows a team of 5 VS 5, and each team member on the winning team looking like kings, and the players on the surrendering team looking well… Shameful…

BUT!

What it doesn’t show, is the ‘disconnect’ symbols the surrendering team could see when playing the match, being down 1, 2, or even 3 players… Compared to a full team of 5.

Yes, this can happen to the victors as well, maybe at last minute a player got disconnected and they found themselves down a player but still managed to hold on, well done!..

But if you are already on the losing end, there seems to be no way to tip it when you find your team being down a player or more, because this only disadvantages you more…

Should this defeat really be a defeat?

Should the game continue on despite players being disconnected?

I’m not so sure…
Yes this is what surrender is for…

But maybe the stats from that game (as much as it sucks for the winning team), should probably be void.

These win/loss ratios after all are having an effect on matchmaking…
So should victories/defeats by surrender WHEN disconnected add to that tally/margin?

There is a possibility for the disconnected players to reconnect and return to the game…
But sometimes they don’t because meh, or can’t because the server refuses them to…

Unfair for the winning team to have such a victory not count?.. Yes, clearly, I get this.

But far too often am I finding myself in matches where they start 4v5, or they end with 3v5.

Just ‘leaving the match’ doesn’t count however… But disconnect should.

Or it should at least show on the final score board…
So the winning team can see, they won because ‘oh look, two people have the disconnected symbol next to their names, they only had 3 players’…

This might mean nothing to the winning team, but it might help boost the losing team, justify their loss (a little)…

All of this irrelevant?
Maybe…
But it’s just another example adding to the ever growing tally of dislike for surrender…

And I just wanted to put it out there… Discuss amongst yourselves!

1 Like

Why can’t new players just connect if the others turn tail and run?

2 Likes

That would be good too…

But this isn’t a matter of players turning tail and running, this is players having the server fail on them and drop out…

I just wonder if a timer for ending a match due to disconnect would be beneficial?

Say a player has been disconnected, then they have say 5 minutes to rejoin the match, or it will ‘draw due to disconnect’, rather than have a winner and a loser due to a clear disadvantage…

This may be unfair to the winning team (especially if already winning by a large margin before a player disconnect)…

But these player disconnect issues due to server issues, seem to be happening ALOT…

And I’m just curious how the results are effecting the matchmaking component of the game.

Edit: I’m not sure if the game recognises the difference between a server disconnect, and a player just leaving the match?

I doubt the server could know the differences… Capcom got the issue of ragequitting in Street Fighter 5 and hasn’t been able to fix the issue in any way except educated “guess”.
It’s even more complicated for Battleborn because of its way to intrusive link to Steam since even a Steam issue can result in a disconnect, as opposed to a disconnect because of the ISP.

Obviously for this reason alone a game should result in a draw because one or more people disconnected. That would be unfair and promote quiting because that would avoid a loss. Which would be even more of an issue if/when they add ladder. That, and obviously punishing players for being disconnected is unfair to “legit” disconnection.

At any rate for now I agree the best course of action is to at least display the Disconnected icon on the match debrief screen. If I remember correctly, Smite did it, and a lot of games do it. It kinda eases the loss by showing the victory wasn’t completely “complete”, in a way =)

1 Like

I know I’m really glad that we NEVER get dumped into a match in progress. And we have even had 4v5 matches start to finish that we’ve won, which were epic. But as far as stats go, and what counts as a win or loss I wouldn’t sweat it; 5 years from now you won’t even be playing this game any more.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t think there would be a difference, I’m not techy on that know how, haha…

But yes, at the very least, if it were possible, showing the disconnect symbols on the final scoreboard would nice, whether I’m on the losing side, or the winning side, I’d like to know whom was or wasn’t there for the entire match.

I’m not sure what the life of these online games are, can they still have an audience after 5 years, or does it die out?

I guess I’d hopefully be playing Borderlands 3 by then… Or have Battleborn 2 in the works or completed, uh time frames, I have no idea how they work, haha.

You can see if anyone on the opposing team has disconnected if you bring up the scoreboard at any point during the game, but I agree it should be on the end game stats for anyone who didn’t notice

1 Like

Oh right, just had to test that out, you are right, haha… When playing solo that is.

In playing split screen co-op, it only shows your team, because the screen is smaller and therefore can’t show both teams…

So for the split screen players, the ‘disconnect’ symbols on the final scoreboard, are needed to see a complete overview of whom was and wasn’t there.

I don’t think I’ll even touch the split screen Co op until they fix that layout. I cannot believe they messed it so bad. It’s painful to look at :sweat:

But yes, on that post game stats they definitely need to add it. I’ve played enough games to notice when the enemy team is down even one player though. There’s a noticeable shift in the battle, lanes are easier to push and enemy players are easier to pick off

1 Like

Why can’t new players just connect if the others turn tail and run?

Because this is a MOBA. Teams are(supposedly) matched up by level, win/loss record, etc.) and teams choose characters to play in order to have a balanced team. Each person proceeds to play and build their own way in the match to satisfy their own playstyle, but also to compliment the team and counter the enemy team.

So…let’s say someone disconnects. Who do you get to replace them? If it’s a new player, what do they do? Do they have to spawn in as that other player’s character, with all the choices they’ve made? Their level, helixes, gear, and other shard expenditures?

Do they spawn in as a fresh level 1 of whatever character they chose?

How exactly do you balance things so that it is fair to everyone in the match? The answer is that you don’t. It can’t be done. This is why every single MOBA out there does not replace someone if they drop. The entire match is dependent upon what other players do. To suddenly swap someone out will change the entire dynamic of the match.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @junkyardj, I’m pretty new to this style of game play, so appreciate your explanation on the replacement of characters/players (or more so why they aren’t), very interesting.