DeputyChuck's Gunzerking management class

(Sheriff) #122

Of course you will get the most DPS with a build set in the Gunlust tree.

But your build is kinda already in the right direction, and you seem to really know your stuff generally speaking, so I wanted to offer an alternative take on it if you will, as your build was basically perfect for a Gunlust/Rampage Hoarder.

This thread is mostly meant for beginners and to make funky stuff work :slight_smile:

To me, Brawn is more efficacious as it kinda covers my mistakes and meshes well with my playstyle. Some people don’t need those “crutches” but for those that do, it offers a bit more of everything. I go down less often, kill stuff faster and clear maps faster as well with Brawn than with Gunlust, but I’d be hard pressed to say exactly why and how.

The intangible benefits Brawn offers will more than make up for the pure DPS gunlust offers… for some people.

3 Likes
(Sheriff) #123

5 points difference
Seems like we’re pretty much in agreement here, as usual :slight_smile:

5 Likes
(Frost_Dragon) #124

Yea, I haven’t played BL2 in years, so I was mostly asking to see what people who have been more active had to say, I just recently transferred my characters over from my ps3 to ps4, and all of my save files were from late 2013. I have been doing some research on the side as well, some of my friends sometimes complain that when I get into a game, I go a little too deep, but that is just what I like doing.

2 Likes
(How much time do we have?) #125

You’ll find quite a few things have changed since then! I suggest taking a look through the October 2015 update notes, since this covers some pretty significant developments. (Not quite so much for Sal, but there’s a lot in there!)

2 Likes
(Really, really, ridiculously good-looking) #126

The big boy in lower Gunlust is NKLO, though. Lay Waste and Bubblegum may as well be interchangeable from a practical perspective, though Lay Waste is technically better. KiPH doesn’t have an analogue in brawn, and Sal has few normal Gun Damage bonuses, so it’s worth more proportionally than on say Cat Maya. Way better for Explosive than non-splash guns though.

If anything it’s the top half of Gunlust that you should feel meh about. Divergent Likeness and Huckleberry are niches, and Money Shot is dubious on Hoarders.

I’d say if you’re not using a pistol with your Grog, you feel less invested in Gunlust than a DPUH bro should. Still, NKLO likes to triple your DPS if you have the right enemy priorities. Orphan Maker doesn’t really need it, I know, but it shows itself on guns that Money Shot less than half the time. I loved it on DPUH, Pimpernel, Stalker/Stinger, and Kittens.

I agree on the sentiment, if not with the semantics. The Rampage investments and Down Not Out are all that should feel required if you’re not doing a time trial.

I use Flame of the Firehawk for the same reasons you like Brawn hp recovery. But it doesn’t cost me skill points. ;p It was never about the damage, which I had a hell of a time trying to get people to understand. It’s free, passive hp regen with Moxxi’s (and crowd control!) which Rough Rider doesn’t do. It’s down in combat either way.

For a semi auto build like Deputy, I can see the value of having passive regen, even a little. For a bullet hose, I don’t as much. You won’t be not hitting stuff most of the time, know what I mean?

4 Likes
(Sheriff) #127

Yes, and I wholeheartedly agree with you there.

The top half of Gunlust is indeed just ok. I really like L&L and Money shot is key to many builds, but other than that, the point of the top half of Gunlust is to reach down not out.

As for NKLO, by itself it is a bigger DPS boost than the rest of the tree combined, even with a hoarder build. But that’s a lot of skill points spent to get it.

So to me Gunlust is either just enough to reach Down not out, or full commitment to NKLO.

If Down not out was in the Brawn tree, we would be having a completely different conversation.

6 Likes
(Really, really, ridiculously good-looking) #128

Oh god, that would totally screw up my dps whoring, no please!

2 Likes
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #129

Dear Salvador gurus,
I recently started my second Sal with the intention of using the Leg Hoarder com that I got some time ago. I’m using Vladof and Bandit weapons (grenades too mostly, but I can’t say no to a Fastball), but not restricting any other gear. I’ve got a long way to go before I get to the build I have in mind (currently level 20ish with all of my points in Rampage), but I figure there’s never a bad time to get input from the community at large. The build I am aiming for is: http://bl2skills.com/gunzerker.html#505050041514105014415142405000000 I took Divergent Likeness thinking the accuracy would be good for Bandit shotguns and the damage would be good for pistols. Huckleberry also with pistols in mind. I skipped Moneyshot because Inconceivable and 5So6 would make it unreliable, took Keep Firing because I thought it would help Bandit gear, and NKLO because I’ve never used it before and it sounds like a good DPS spike. Am I thinking clearly, or have I gotten my wires crossed somewhere?
Thanks
Paul O.

4 Likes

The build certainly looks good - particularly for Bandit. Bandit needs fire rate, accuracy and reload.

• Keep Firing & Lay Waste take care of fire rate.
  • Divergent Likeness helps accuracy - I suppose Steady can improve accuracy although I have no idea its effect.
  • Reload is where you’re not getting much - only Keep Firing and 25% isn’t much. I’m not sure if it would be wise to recommend All in the Reflexes over 5or6. I would for Bandit ; probably not for Vladof.
  • I would personally take Incite & H2K at 5/5 each and skip Asbestos. Especially to get Incite’s reload (50% with the L/H COM :+1:).

What’s your plan for healing? Bubblegum might give you more than AGTtB.

Edit - this is my OP4 Vladof guy’s build

Kitten on hand at all times. He doesn’t need any more healing than that…usually.

3 Likes
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #131

I was sort of hoping that a Kitten and possibly a Hail or two would work in conjunction with AGTTB and H2K for the most part (I’ll probably skip Asbestos, that seems like sound advice), I’ll probably be using an Evolution when I get up around 72 (or a Rough Rider if/when I try out OoBG), and maybe transfusions and O Negs (slag, in case you were wondering), to supplement. I’m not averse to the idea of other Moxxi gears, but I’m not really planning around them. Of course, I’m still a long way from 72, so I expect that some or all of what I’ve got planned will change.

3 Likes

Right. The RR for me is so completely default I kinda forgot you actually have no other shield choice for Bubblegum (other than the FotF I suppose) :smile:

Edit , that particular guy uses a Sponge, because Vladof (and it’s easier to get than a Sham).

2 Likes
(Hyperion Numba Wan - Accept No Substitute!) #133

I suggest Kitten, if only because it’s more usable for Sal than the Hail would be.

As a rule of thumb, Sal (as I said above AND you can get some bonkers fire rates with it if you spec into Keep Firing…) and Krieg (Krieg in my specific instance wouldn’t count considering he’s 'Splosive) always get the Kittens. Axton (grenade damage bonuses) and Gaige (Anarchy, baby!) get the Hails.

1 Like
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #134

TBH, I’m a little relieved that most of what I was thinking makes sense. I thought that I might be lean on durability which is why I put 15 points in Brawn, but I really wanted AitR for those Bandit shotties and smgs. I might be awfully close to your Vladof build in the end, sort of the way my Deputy looks like your Striker build.

If SaVladof Bandi gets a Hail, he’ll have two. I agree about the usability, but I think two of them would be manageable, even with my PS3 field of view.

2 Likes
(Hyperion Numba Wan - Accept No Substitute!) #135

I’m kinda one that’s in no position to be talking though, considering my long-neglected other Gaige has a pair of Hails, one Incendiary, one Corrosive. And I play on 360 so the field of view is borked – although honestly that doesn’t bother me much.

I’ve never seen a Hail in slag though, come to think of it.

2 Likes
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #136

I saw one while I was dashboarding to get a corrosive a Hail for my Maya, and I know that there are guys here using a bladed slag Hail with their melee toons. But I’ll burn that bridge when I get there, mainly because I think it’ll be easier to get multiple Kittens than Hails.

2 Likes

From my experience, the Kitten is far better than the Hail for Sal.

Now read that quickly so I can delete it before anyone uses it against me. :laughing:

4 Likes
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #138

I agree, as I’m sure most here would. But I think dual wielding them would be fun, even if it was less than effective. :grin:

3 Likes
(Sheriff) #139

From mine as well

The problem with Sal and the Hail is that you have to alter your point of aim with it to compensate for the arc… which throws the other gun off.

The hail is good on Sal with 3 guns: Another hail, the Lead storm and the sawbar (assuming you have the right accessories to make the point of impact converge on those)

As for @paulothead’s build, I would just follow Jefe’s advice in general.
Reload speed with a Hoarder build is a non-issue IMO
One that Incite and keep firing will fix easily.

4 Likes
(The bespoke Eldritch Horror.) #140

Thank you, @DeputyChuck
In terms of the build I’m aiming for, and @Jefe’s advice, do you think I’d be better off paring down the Brawn investment to Hard to Kill and Incite and moving those points to All in the Reflexes? I know reload speed isn’t too necessary for Hoarder builds in general, but I’m limiting this particular Sal to Vladof and Bandit (mostly smgs and shotties, maybe a launcher or two) gear, and let’s face it, Bandit needs all of the reload help it can get.

2 Likes

Bandit shotguns are the real reload challenge - SMG and pistol mags can get practically endless.

If you avoid their shotguns, I’d say reload concerns are minimized to the point that you don’t have to sacrifice points just for Reflexes.

The Rok Salt has a respectable reload speed, but otherwise they’re brutally slow. So go for all the reload you can if using Bandit shotguns.

3 Likes