Details on Handsome Collection Cross Save Functionality (UPDATED 4/2)

4/2 Update: The update that fixes missing Badass Ranks and Customizations for Xbox One Cloud Save transfers is now rolling out. You can recover your Badass Ranks and Customizations by updating your game and re-downloading a save. To maintain any progress you made before the update, you’ll want to select “Save As New” as BAR/Customizations are shared across your entire account. For more information, check out https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/65020860-Badass-Rank-Not-Transferring-From-Previous-Gen

4/1 Update: This fix for missing Badass Ranks and Customizations for Xbox One Cloud Save transfers has entered final testing on April 1, 2015 and will be released as soon as possible once testing concludes.

3/30 Update: The fix has successfully made it through the first round of testing. Should have more details coming later this week! For more information, check this page: https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/65020860-Badass-Rank-Not-Transferring-From-Previous-Gen

3/26 Update: The team is currently testing an update to resolve cross-save issues with Handsome Collection on Xbox One. For more information, check this page: https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/65020860-Badass-Rank-Not-Transferring-From-Previous-Gen

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is out next week! (March 24 and March 27)

Find out how you can bring over your existing Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel saves to next gen: http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1338/cross-save-in-borderlands-the-handsome-collection

[quote]There’s just over a week left until Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel make their next-gen debut in Borderlands: The Handsome Collection on March 24 in North America and March 27 internationally!

If you’ve already played Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 (or PS Vita for Borderlands 2), you’ll be able to transfer your save within the same console family. Here’s how it works.

To use a save from the previous generation versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel in Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, first you’ll need to download the patches enabling cross-save for Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, which should be available for download later this week.

Once you have that patch downloaded, follow these steps:

Ensure all versions of the games are up to date with the latest patch (old-gen and new-gen) and you are connected to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.

From the main menu of the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of BL2 or BL:TPS, choose the “Cross Save” (PlayStation consoles) or “Cloud Save” (Xbox consoles), then “Upload Save” function.

Once the save has been uploaded, choose “Cross Save” or “Cloud Save” then “Download Save” from the main menu of the PS4 / Xbox One Handsome Collection game for which you’re downloading the save.
IMPORTANT: Only one save may be uploaded at a time. If you have multiple saves to transfer, upload one save, then download it in the Handsome Collection, then repeat the process for successive saves.

Please note:

The Xbox family of systems can only move saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox One and not the other way around.
The PlayStation family of systems can upload / download saves from any system to any other PlayStation system. Think of PS3 / PS4 / PSV as a triangle, and saves can move in any direction (Vita saves are only applicable to BL2 and not BL:TPS).

Uploading a save does not remove it from the original system, it only creates a copy of the save on the network.
Players will need the day 1 patch for the Handsome Collection in order to download saves.
Players will also need the most recent patch installed for PS3 / Xbox 360 in order to upload saves.

When you transfer your save, here’s what comes along with it:

Character level and all mission progress
Badass Points (all of these will transfer, but you’ll get to re-spend them)
Backpack inventory
Weapon slots
Cash and Eridum/Moonstones

All unlocked character customizations (heads/skins) note that customizations obtained from Telltale’s Poker Night 2 will be added in a patch following launch
Items stored in the bank in Sanctuary
Note that items stored in Claptrap’s Secret Stash in Borderlands 2 will NOT transfer along with your save, so be sure to move anything you can’t live without to the bank. Trophies and Achievements will also not transfer over and will need to be re-earned.

Your Golden Key balance will also not transfer. However, as a reward for playing Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, all players will receive the following bonuses upon signing into SHiFT in The Handsome Collection for the first time:

Borderlands 2

• 75 Golden Keys
  • A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
  • Bonus character customizations

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

• 75 Golden Keys
  • A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
  • Bonus unique weapons and character customizations

Note: These bonus Badass points can only be earned once and are redeemed instantly upon entering the game. We recommend using the Cross/Cloud Save functionality prior to starting a game in The Handsome Collection to transfer over your account’s Badass Rank. This will ensure that bonus Rank is awarded in addition to existing Badass Rank.

If you have any trouble, be sure to visit support.gearboxsoftware.com for help. [/quote]

6 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Do we have to wait to find out shat the bonus customizations look like or can you tell us now?

1 Like

Oooh… I really want to know what are those bonus character customizations now. I hope they’re new or some of the harder to get ones. I know it won’t be the Goliath heads or the Poker Night 2 ones (those are the only ones I can’t get myself), but I’d settle for the Community Day ones (even though I already have them) or the ones from Vermivorous if they aren’t new. Anyway, nice to see that most of the goodies will transfer and that we’ll get some bonus stuff too. It sucks that the achievements/trophies and Golden Keys won’t transfer, but I was already expecting that, since those are stored on your gamer profile rather than the save.

You’re on the right track. We want to be careful not to go giving away skins that folks had purchased in the past, and Community Day customizations fall into that bucket. The skins we’re looking at are a mix of skins that were only available via limited-time SHiFT codes and some that haven’t been available yet. We’re hoping it’ll be a pleasant surprise :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does Handsome Collection on PS4 have separate trophy list like Xbox one?

1 Like

Dude, if we get the skins that were removed from the game and you can’t legitimately get anymore (like Dahl Efficiency for BL2), I would totally freak out! I’m a big customization collector and an OCD ridden freak, so those always bothered me… But I know, I’m just letting my imagination run wild here. Still, any new skins would be terrific. I’ll lower my expectations a bit and wait patiently like a good boy. Thanks for the quickie reply!

I bet if i put together every combination of letters in the alphabet, i could guess the item it will be…

So if I don’t have my PS3 anymore, only the saves on a usb stick not PSN, I cant use my usb saves? it has to be the system you explaind, use ps3 cross save to upload to PSN, and then use PS4 to download to Handsome collection. already sold my PS3, guess im starting from scratch

I sold my Xbox 360. I have my BL2 save stored in the Xbox cloud. I’d love to play through the Xbox One version of BL2. I am sure I am not the only one in this position (same goes for the PS3/PS4). Why not support reaching directly into the Xbox 360 cloud saves for my account to get my old BL2 save? I don’t know if that is something the Xbox One APIs support, but if not then there is basically no way for me to import my old saves short of borrowing a 360 and the older BL2 just to perform a 2 second upload :frowning:

1 Like

Well now I don’t feel as bad about starting over. Time to rack up some trophies (again).

Is it at all possible, with any amount of finagling or tech wizardry, to convert a 360 file to a ps3 compatible file? I have an xbox 360 and will soon get a ps4… I can just keep my 360 and continue to play on there, but the prospect of restarting every character is too daunting for me to upgrade to the handsome collection without being able to move my saves. Could gearbox maybe generate a playstation save based on some submitted proof the contents of a 360 save? Sorry if none of this is possible I would just hate to skip the handsome collection just because of file incompatibilities (and my own laziness on the restarting), and I’m sure if it could be figured out gearbox would benefit financially so I figured it was worth a shot.

3 Likes

Here come the factorials…

Yay!!! Time to put my leave in for the 24th-27th

2 Likes

So with multiple saves, you mean character saves? If so, how do customization options and BAR transfer? I thought the keys/customizations/BAR were stored in the gamertag file (BL2, Xbox 360)? I know TPS uses a different file.

I really shouldn’t be worried about this, as I’m sure it’ll work just fine, but I’m just curious.

OK Jeff, 1st thanks

2nd can you come over and do this for me, I need hand holding so I don’t screw it all up.

1 Like

I just thought about something… What about PC players? Since The Handsome Collection isn’t available for PC, does this mean they won’t have access to these exclusive weapons and customizations?

I was wondering this too because my three sons are PC gamers. They are the ones who got us hooked on the BL franchise. I would hate for them to be left out just because they don’t play on consoles.

So you can only upload 1 save at the time. Is that 1 save for each game or 1 in total?

Also, the patch for B2 is already online on 360 and I already upload a save. Hopefully the patch for TPS will be online soon. :smile:

No it’s one save at a time. You upload a save, then download it. Then repeat that if you want to transfer more than one character.

1 Like

quick question Jeffybug, sense I don’t have access to a PS3 by the time Handsome comes out, and say I still go ahead and play it on PS4 creating a new character, can I still use the cross save later on if I get a ps3? or would it create probs with the new playthru I was doing on PS4, thanks for any help