Did this game get a difficulty buff in the past year?

My brother and I have put over 300 hours into BL2 since launch. We never found the game very difficult prior to UVHM, and difficulty just ramped from there.

However, we just came back to the game for the first time since May last year (prior to the most recent patch the game got) and we’ve been running new characters and things just don’t feel right. Playing the same characters and same builds as last time we are getting demolished in TVHM. We’re equal level to the enemies and we’re still in the first quarter of TVHM and we are dying more than we used to in OP6 difficulty the last time we played. Shields and health getting shredded off in 1 hit, things like that.

We don’t seem to be playing notable worse than we used to, we both got back into the feel of the game very quickly but it just feels way harder than the last time we played.

No overall buffs afaik! A few tweaks here and there, but nothing that makes the game go crazy.

One of the main reasons that you find the game much more difficult, is probably because of your gear at the moment, and also your skills. When you were on the OP levels, you probably had top gear and it was also on par with your level. You also had a full skill tree to go with that.

The gear you have when you finish off the Warrior in NVHM will not last very long in TVHM. It will start feeling weak after the initial side missions, unless you have something really nice in your inventory. And then you have to go with what you get. So, it’s basically NVHM all over again, but with tougher enemies. And since you don’t have all the skills yet, you can’t boost your damage output while at the same time boosting your protection.

Which characters are you using? If you show us your builds, using this link, you can get some friendly advice if something seems off.

2 Likes

If you have any tokens for your BAR use them, as it will make new characters a bit easier to manage- even a difference of 300 to your shields, health or weapon damage can make a difference…

1 Like

I think it’s the lack of skills available due to your level. Even though the enemies are tougher in UVHM, your character can produce and/or tank a lot more damage with the, what, dozen or so extra skill points between TVHM and max? This is one of the reasons, I think, that some people’s first steps into UVHM are harder than at the end.

It could also just be as simple as being rusty

2 Likes

this, it does help a lot, and helps even more if you think about what you want before placing the BAR tokens just anywhere (You do not have to have points in all perks). this link is a post I made about BAR perks and about where to place them for best results BAR & BAR Perks Discussion

1 Like

If you have any tokens for your BAR use them, as it will make new characters a bit easier to manage- even a difference of 300 to your shields, health or weapon damage can make a difference…

Holy hell I have 58 of these to spend, thanks for the reminder I forgot BAR existed.