Differences In Metas Between Platforms?

Hey guys.

Based on some very interesting comments and observations from @wrriddle and @whitethroat in the “Cross Platform?” thread, I was wondering:

Could some of you kind, knowledgeable souls please explain to me the differences in metas and playstyles between xBox, PS4, and PC?

Hell, even though I’m on PS4, please feel free to go into detail on what the PS4 meta is, as well; I’ve been taking a break the last few weeks and even before then, I was never very meta minded, I just wanted to play the characters I wanted to play.

Thanks in advance!

If Im not wrong, the current PC meta is playing Overwatch or Paladins

16 Likes

@Nicetoknowyou

Oh, snap!

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, I laughed a little louder than I should have.

3 Likes

Pssh @FlamesForAll I wasn’t involved in conversation at all was I :confused:

2 Likes

Kelvin and Boldur are pretty much always banned. It kinda depends who’s playing because there is now room for target bans, since Beatrix and Gali no longer require a ban.

2 Likes

Everyone on Xbox seems to have suddenly realized how powerful Thorn is so she’s dominating in every match now with her insane bleed damage and joke of an ult. Lots and lots of Boldurs obviously. The less skill a character takes to secure kills the more likely you are to see them so there’s a ton of Benedicts. Weirdly whenever I get invited to a 10 man somebody suggests honor banning Beatrix which I just laugh at, tell them I’m not playing if we honor ban a middle of the pack character, and then the other team takes her and doesn’t do much with her. There’s still this perception around her for whatever reason but she’s pretty reasonably balanced at this point.

5 Likes

I’m very confused as to why people are still picking Montana/Miko first pick on Xbox? It’s possibly the easiest thing to counter early on!

2 Likes

Disclaimer: I’m not really talking about “the Meta” now, just some characters I’ve often seen in public games in the last few weeks (I’ll leave balance discussions to those who have more experience):

A combination of Montana, Ghalt, Alani and Thorn plus someone with a stun became quite disturbing to go against for me in some matches.

I also see Orendi, Rath, Benedict, Ernest and Ambra pretty often.

Boldur I have only seen in one match lately, but this was quite the experience.

2 Likes

I think the meta is or should be the same. Last league match I watched the caster was suprised why Rath was 1st/2nd picked (he dominated the match with Ghalt). Just some console players are a still lil confused or they don’t know the helix choices to pick, what comps work well with certain BB, etc. Hopefully the league matches will add some clarity to the meta

3 Likes

I just think there’s not many people who can really draft well in general :joy: It’s definitely not easy though when you factor in what characters people can actually play! It’s not too hard to draft a strong team, but it’s hard to draft a team that your teammates CAN all play :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

True true!!! Good point!

3 Likes

Thank you kind sir :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I play on xbox and it boggles my mind with the early Monty picks. I understand taking Miko early on as he is the best healer atm (when it comes to heal potential) and very easy to play. You just hold lt and throw spores at waves to lvl and later on at players to help confirm kills. If you have a very experienced Miko he can make the whole difference of the game however as they won’t be as easy to pick off constantly. As far as what I think with Montana most opposing teams aren’t going to pick Montana if you already have a Miko on your side as he has so much health to maintain. So picking him early into three counters on him makes no sense as Miko can only heal so much when Montana is wounded or being blasted by multiple shooters.

2 Likes

What’s even worse is I saw in an Xbox league stream was this:

Team 1 banned Boldur - This should NEVER happen.
Team 2 banned Kelvin - Perfect ban
Team 1 banned Ghalt - Okay I guess
Team 2 banned Thorn - Another good ban

Team 1 picked Benedict - Benedict is waaaay easily countered, and usually not a great 1st pick, but definitely a 2nd/3rd/4th
Team 2 picked Miko and Montana - Miko is a good first pick. Montana on the other hand was an awful pick, as it made it SO easy for the other team to counter…

But what happened next almost made me throw up :joy:

Team 1 picked Caldarius and Alani - Words cannot describe how awful this was.

Then Team 2 made them pay for this horrendous mistake, and picked up Galilea and Whiskey.

Basically, Montana was a bad pick as he is way too easily countered early on, but the other team decided not to counter him for some reason :joy:

Obviously I don’t know these people but that is just awful :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Its simple. This game is dominated by cc, Monty has strong cc and it forces the other team to take multiple shooters early generally speaking. That means you aren’t drafting the other strong cc characters, so we will draft them. If my Monty is constantly drawing the attention of 2 shooters, he’s doing his job. If you don’t draft shooters early, we take them and then Monty has free reign.

4 Likes

Taking Montana/Miko first left Gali/Whisky/Rath. Any 2 of those 3 would have rendered Montana/Miko completely useless.

2 Likes

Rath rendering Monty useless, I Lol’d

2 Likes

Not Rath on his own, but his CC combined with Gali’s would have taken him out.

3 Likes

What? Alani is a counter to Montana.
BTW What did Team 1 picked beside Benny, Caldy and Alani?

2 Likes