[DISCUSSION] Megaliths and Collision Avoidance!

Yeah, probably might as well bumped into another segment.

Actually, ships can navigate through the ring fine when moving (not attacking)…

Formations are also coping, but sometimes get a bit jittery on the sides…

3 Likes

@Dom2, You shoul cross-post this to the mod thread, since this is pretty awesome!

1 Like

OK that actually looks smooth.

I think you meant "I was wrong’… :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently and fortunately.

1 Like

@Dom2 You said that your object is made up of 3 objects forming the torus shape, it is all one entity though correct? That seems like it might be the key, separating the different sides of the tunnel into different objects, “freeing up” the center. This may still not be very practical gameplay-wise yet, but its a cool start!

If possible, someone should test it out with a different object created in the same fashion as Dom’s.

1 Like

Well yes, splitting up the main mass into several pieces was always the only way you could even dare to start attempting it.

It’s just that in the old days this alone wasn’t enough, because the ships would avoid the collision with the single object they saw in front of them, while not taking into account any surrounding ones. Which ended up with them bumping into whatever was next to the object they would be avoiding. There always had to be an awkwardly large gap between the objects for you to have a chance to look at something presentable.
I still don’t know how come this works, what has changed.
And my question would be whether it does work constantly, without any “head bumps”.

2 Likes

I need to test it more extensively, but I have seen the occasional “head bump”. I did manage to get a frigate to go through the ring though. It only just fits, but it managed to find a path.

3 Likes

I did a few more tests. In general ships are quite good at avoiding the sides of the ring and making the choice to go through the centre or round the outside. The problems start with strike craft formations, especially when they are trying to go diagonally through the ring:

What impressed me most was this:

The scouts passed between the two spikes (which incidentally belong to different ships) without hitting each other or jittering at all - completely smooth.

For me one of the most important things is this:

In my case, for whatever reason, this is not happening. I have not had to scuttle anything in all my tests so far. Nothing has become permanently stuck.

3 Likes

I should return to my Masada map and see how that works.

2 Likes

So, for my next experiment I tried sizing everything up. I made a crude Balcora-type gate, but not quite as big. It is in four quarter-circle sections. Frigates won’t even try to go through the ring, and fighters get confused:

So, I made a small segment of ring and constructed the whole ring in the map:

The following ring is actually 27 “ships” arranged in a ring. Fighters and frigates can pass through it fine.

In other words, collision avoidance is linked to size/distance, not shape. This is why the Taiidan Republic platform rings behave differently to Balcora Gate. It is perfectly possible to construct huge megaliths and ships will be able to navigate around them. However they must be composed of many small objects in the actual game. @Pouk you may have to take an angle grinder to your Masada map and glue it back together again in the level file.

EDIT: couldn’t resist another GIF. This ship is about the size of a carrier:

Diagonal passes still cause problems sometimes.

6 Likes

SORCERY ! MAKE HIM BURN ! MAKE HIM BURN !

:grinning:

1 Like

Hah, love that lighting as it passes through.

2 Likes

Similar experiments here, except not specifically with rings. each dock segment is 1km (except for the larger shipyards) since the segments are based off of ships It is interesting how larger ships will just plow into it and there is a pool ball effect sometimes.

2 Likes

Changing the avoidance family can help to an extent. I’m wondering whether custom code could be used to track nearby ships’ speed and directions and prevent such collisions…

I haven’t tried my maze maps recently. I wonder if they work now. I don’t think they will.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=399477672

Also, I experimented with creating large objects around which ships should totally ignore collision meshes (i.e. fly straight through, ignoring solid surfaces). It works mostly, but the camera hates this and gets all wonky.

1 Like

One of the things on my list of things to play with is to try to set up scripts to force ships to artificially avoid large objects or fly on pre-determined paths through them.

1 Like

Hw2.log Fatal Error: “Mesh with radius greater then 20km”