Disproving zane myths: zane needs very specific/perfect gear to be viable

while it is a challenge it is also to make a point that it is not so challenging at all and actually zane can handle mayhem 3 without any specific gear easily. (there are some things you can not do like SS M3 but i am crazy enough to do that as well one day :d with this very conditions)

it really isn’t, all you need is any facepuncher and any cutpurse relic, it can even be a white one. thats all you need to get the build going. ^^
throw any easy to get babymaker or something in there and you already have a perfectly good build.

2 Likes

Also some of the e-techs are pretty good and you might wanna use non-legendaries for specific throw effects (home in and shoots before exploding, mirvs and bounces, etc.).

1 Like

@Gentlemann
@GimmickBuilds

Thanks guys. i @'d you just in case my info was wrong. really enjoy the nova berner build and plan to try the tediore build

I don’t see anything particularly wrong with what you said because the strongest builds will always use the best items, but he’s not as gear dependent as common wisdom might suggest.

Nova Berner can only be done with this build because it has 2 nova effects making it at least 4x more powerful (nova on shield cast, nova on shield disappear, nova on clone cast, nova on clone shield depletion, nova on clone end, nova on Zane shield fill/depletion) but you could use any nova shield technically.

With Digital distribution, you will still get a nova when the shield disappears, which is still pretty good.

Unforgiven Overkill build literally only requires 2 items (Unforgiven and Legendary Executor) with 8/5 playing Dirty. Everything else is bonus.

Ripper SMG build requires Ripper SMG and Facepuncher. My Facepuncher is actually anointed for Fl4k’s Rakk attack, so rolls are irrelevant (you only need its item mechanic).

YES Zane will always be the most gear dependent character, but that’s because he can use gear in the most creative ways.

but to be fair if you can use every gear are u not the least gear dependent? :smiley:

I have to admit that I do not like most regular bullet guns on Zane. This might be a personal bias, but I hate most non-gimmick non-projectile guns.

For example, most of the OP guns are regular damage bullet guns like the Butcher which everyone loved and I hated. I’ve always found a projectile to be better in the same circumstance that I could use any of those guns.

The easiest way to do damage with Zane is Playing Dirty and Torgue gyrojets (of any rarity). The Duc is also extremely powerful and relatively common.

Bish. Scuse me? Drone and Clone is life. Lol, get out of here with that blanket garbage :joy:

1 Like

I agree with this. I think gbx design team expected proving grounds and such to be a stress test of specific builds with synergetic gear.

With the announcement of the maliwan event, they even indicated it’s intended for that kind of thought process. You’re not expected to go in with blues and purples.

Likewise my build only requires a White Elephant and Facepuncher for minimum effectiveness, so I understand what you’re saying, but the backbone of our builds is not going to get you through M3 with the ease that the backbone of Mozes Bloodletter build or Amaras elementalist/gunslinger/melee build will.

We require decent rolls to reach the ease of play they do with any rolls. I’m firmly in the “Zane works in M3” camp, but I do think he’s a bit undertuned. Or that they’re overtuned. There’s some tuning that needs to happen is all I’m saying.

added some more gameplay back up and improved streaming quality to full HD should be a better watch now

Loved the gameplay and flexibility in playstyle. Though TBF, the guns you used were also some of the best non-uniques in the game - Bangsticks, Jakob’s shotties are really not inferior to high end Legendaries. My Fl4k primarily runs non-uniques too, but not because I feel like hampering myself, but simply because they perform to the same level as top-tier Legendaries.

I have used literally everything in my inventory i am trying to not use already proven guns like masher bangstick muck but then again if i do not use any semi decent guns that proves the point that zane can use every gun in m3 XD i mean the whole point is to prove zane does do m3 with relative ease without some item dependancy right? People asked for comparability ofc fl4k will beat zane in jacobs shotties due to fade away ofc moze will use non unique splash better but anything i put in characters hands by far has worked from pistols to rocket launchers. To me that is helluva good job by zaneboy. Alaso survival was mentioned a lot and deaths are few in the run though i am not trying much so he stands on his feet just fine with absolute random anshin shield which is nothing like transformer or back ham or stop gap. If anyone has a wish to see a certain gun mail it to me and i will try to make it work. In my game play i try to use all guns i pick up last part on lectra city has a lot of smg’s uses not only i am not trying hard or using best non uniques i am also experimenting with any guns i find on the fly )))

Cheers

After reading the tread all I get out of it is that the op has put in the time and effort into the game to both be really good and have a deep understanding of Zane and his abilities. Congrats to the op on his hard work and skill. It does not however prove that Zane is a character that doesn’t need some buff or tweak to make him more user friendly.

However, a tweak doesn’t mean a 100% gun damage buff, or 200% crit damage bonus or any nonsense. A tweak would be to change a skill that gives 20% gun damage on a kill, to give a 10% gun damage bonus with an additional 10% after a kill. That means you don’t have to always be perfectly juggling kills and action activations. Also not all skills should get this treatment.

1 Like

Gear aside and ime: Any and all BB Mellka mains out there ought have a red carpet to maining Zane … :wink:

Welp i have myself advocated for buffing zane many times. this is in no way a thread to suggest that buffs are not needed. A lot of Zane’s skills need buffs check my thread on “lets complete respectable survey” and drop your input there.

This thread solely focuses on disproving idea that zane needs very specific pieces of gear :slight_smile: he really does not i would say moze needs more specific gear than other vhs.

#buffzane

I agree that if you have the skill and character understanding, then for the most part Zane is absolutely not gear dependent. There were a lot of game design choices gearbox made that hinder Zane. Some of his best gear (masher/maggie/bekah) are non-elemental and M3 can severely punish these. The anointed militants can be a hassle as well if you don’t know how to handle them. This to me is more bad game design rather than a flaw with Zane as a character.

I did leave a post on that thread. It’s hard to buff Zane because of the interactions between skills. Even if you did what I said above you could inadvertently make him weaker because Death Follows close could now only buff the 10% kill bonus instead of a full 20%. This would actually make him weaker overall.

The real problem is that as stated in other threads Zane is completely viable with multiple gear and builds, but he requires a level of effort average bl3 players won’t be willing to put in. I actually feel I am much better with Zane than Moze (might be because she has little way to gain health and as you pointed out gear dependant). It’s complicated and I am a little afraid about how gearbox goes about making changes to him. It would really suck if they either break the character through good intentions or way throw off the balance where he will have to be nerfed down to a reasonable level.

that is exactly why they did not change much, we should focus on fixing his skills but as to buffs let’s see UVHM and where it leaves zane then we can talk buffs.

I agree that he needs some buffing, mainly because most of his skills require conditions to apply with bonuses compared to what others get as flat rate.

this has been addressed here and i hope we will be heard some day.