Do BL's games reward poor playing?

Yeah Mayhem 3 certainly drops more loot. But how often do you just say… ‘Not the legendary I want, not the anointment I’m looking for, what a crap shield. Or I’ve already got that…’

The question is about whether anyone knows if the algorithm is weighted beyond pure rng, and not me stating a tin conviction…

Its all subjective, as they’re all mainly world drops, odds are game thinks the loot is equally as valuable aside from the scores… stopped farming bosses as obviously their rates have been dropped… i can spend the same amount of time nuking slaughtershaft @ 80% more loot. Faster the kills the more it drops (something to do with the guardian rank luck ability). Major plus that i dont have to quit n restart every time

I think it’s just the amount of loot possible with the amount of annoitments possible, it’s difficult to get exactly what you want. I’d say roll 40 dice and hope they all roll a single number and that’s about your chances of getting exactly what you want. There’s actually an equation to figure out your chances but You’d need to know the exact amount of legendaries with the amount of annoitments. I’d bet it’s around 1 in a million chance if you’re looking for one very specific gun, parts and everything.

If only…

Yeah the boss drop rates now, and the vaults in BL3, pretty appalling.

So in a sense people are rewarded more for play time vs skill…

Can’t wait for dedicated drops with more fast travel options. And I really hope they offer anointed weapon drops with rgn variations for multiple farms…

I don’t find it all that bad. Really…if thenissue is specific legendary drops, or specific anointment drops, then yea…its a bit harder.

Sure 90% of legendary drops I ignore. But I also have 100+ saved between bank and characters. Now is just the grind for a perfect one.

I’ll never understand this statement. In all previous titles getting a legendary was EXTREMELY rare. Most badasses in Slaughter Shaft drop 1-2 legendaries, even after a nerf.

BL1, BL2, TPS were at a 10. BL3 at launch was at 1000, so they nerfed it to 500. Fake numbers but that’s the jist of it. The numbers are lower than at launch but still way, way higher than past titles.

definitely booted up some bl2 the other night and didnt see a legendary after a few hours just murderizing everyone with Sal. Maybe I shot the legendaries too.

1 Like

That’s pretty much always true for an RNG looter game.

I don"t know which version of Bl2 you were playing. But farming for top-tier build synergistic weapons was far easier and less hindered by swarms of unvarying canon fodder.

FYI I mentioned drop rate - e.g. blues, purples and the occasional orange.

While loot drops are most likely associated with your total playtime

I’d be extremely hard pressed to believe it’s based off your character skill, items, etc. That’s WAY too much coding to do.

If Mayhem 3 is being cruel, jump to Mayhem 1.

Methinks it’s the difficulty interfering with your perception of drops

Borderlands 2 has a horrible drop rate lol

1 Like

go farm two max level DP Harolds. Go ahead. get back to me when you are done.

In BL2 DPUH are easy both to farm from vending machines in DLC and from Savage Lee?

Got them at OP levels over and over again.

Try a Flying Shock Sandhawk for Maya in OP BL2 … now thats OTT…

1 Like

Re drop rate mathematics…

Does anyone actually know?

Nowhere am I stating anything as fact.

I’m interested to know the formula more as that’s just more strategy at my disposal…

You’ll have to look on modding forums if you want exact numbers as Gearbox hasn’t publicly stated what the values are in Borderlands 3.

Paul Hellquist talked about the mechanics of Borderlands 2’s system here:

https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/2013/09/inside-the-box-the-borderlands-2-loot-system/

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated

It was actually studied pretty extensively before and after the “Inside the Box” article. I ported-combined several articles from the old forums on the topic specifically for BL2:

First impressions are that the basics haven’t changed much at all in terms of both the loot and part systems. Anointed gear appears to use the unused accessory slot from BL2 (that had the moonstone enhancements in TPS).

I haven’t done a co-op session yet, but it would not surprise me if things like extra chances and higher chance for ammo and health drops based on number of players carried through.

The numbers seem tweaked upwards - even without the BL3 equivalent of the Vault Hunters Relic from BL2, I definitely see more blues, purples, and oranges through regular play in the base game.

2 Likes

Some of my favourite quotes from the article…

“The most interesting thing that came from that day was the unanimous realization that the game was dropping way too much loot! There was so much loot on the battlefield after a battle that the game became incredibly tedious to play because there was so much loot to collect and sort out.”

“It is important to remember that probability is only accurate over huge sample sizes. Using the example of the probability of getting a legendary drop from any old bandit the chart earlier in the article says you have a 1 in 10000 chance. That does not mean that if you get 9999 drops and have not gotten a legendary yet that the next drop will be legendary. In fact you might not get one until roll 19998 and then get two in a row! Or you might go 50000 rolls without getting one and then get 5 in a row. If these strange cases occurred your results would be at the expected 1 in 10000 rate but it might feel to you like the game is doing something strange or odd behind the scenes. In fact, that’s just how math works.”

But it also means that if enough people flag an issue then it probably needs attention, and commentary on individual experiences is probably pointless.

Hopefully more people read this article, and realise they have a raffle addiction.