Do you enjoy mini match?

I’m not a major mini match player so i’m just curious on what others think.

• Play once in awhile to switch things up.
  • yes, i like all the modes in mini match.
  • yes, but mostly supercharge
  • No, I prefer the game in 5v5.

0 voters

1 Like

Option 5: Never had a chance to try it.

I couldn’t even find a game in it on PC at prime time on the first sunday after it was introduced and haven’t tried again since then.

I did enjoy playing private PvP games with smaller group sizes, but as far as I’ve heard by now, that concept doesn’t apply as much for public games.

6 Likes

Where is the “I’ll let you know when i can get in a match…” option? :smirk:

8 Likes

i wouldnt say its super alive on console, but most of the time it feels like your getting hit with premades when you do find one.
Shutting down montana and boldurs with pubs feels almost near impossible at times in 3v3. That was a big turn off for me i guess.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to find enough matches to formulate an opinion. Unfortunately trying to find any public games on PC has become a once in a blue moon thing.

2 Likes

True. Didn’t even find a Bots Battle game today again. :frowning:

3 Likes

Same

3 Likes

i just got home from work. I recently tried making a FTP account on PC with my friend since he doesn’t have a ps4. we can’t really even get out of the novice que because there really is no one there. Quite sad really.

2 Likes

Supercharge was fun for a bit. But then people started voting for 3v3 Meltdown and 3v3 Incursion and that was it for me.

4 Likes

I’ve never been able to try any other modes in 3v3. I would’ve liked to try capture and face off at least. meltdown and incursion don’t sound good in 3v3. besides supercharge i don’t really think this game was built for it.

2 Likes

Both of those sound fun in 3v3 with different strategies but yeah incursion 3v3 just feels like dragged out incursion.

2 Likes

These are words that usually were reason enough for me to send you a direct message with an offer to add me on steam that I maybe can pull you into the “grown up queues” for levelling. I honestly don’t know if I can do that anymore. When I started playing yesterday, I’ve seen quite a few people on my friends list ingame, I looked at their status and most of them were “in matchmaking”, so: I jumped into quick match as fast as possible, because I thought I might be able to get into a game fast!

Found three teammates pretty fast, but no full team yet. After a while, one of my teammates left and I messaged a friend of mine if they are also waiting in quick match as I do. Answer was yes, one team of 5 people was ready and waiting for a match (and already a little angry, because they were insulted for being pubstompers in a game earlier). I’ve waited for a while and my team became smaller and smaller. When I was alone again, I apologized to my friend that I’m already too frustrated to play PvP now and I switched to Bots Battle in hope to maybe even be able to finish some daily before I have to leave for bed. Same thing: Started with two teammates this time, one by one dropped out.

In the end, I’ve played one 3v5 private game with and against bots. Monuments and the game went over full length. When I finished, I’ve looked at my ingame friends list again and asked my friend if they are still waiting for a game or if their team just had an unbalanced and short game again: They didn’t find a match. On a saturday. Prime time. With more than an hour of waiting.

It is frustrating what became of that game. I was almost begging on my knees to add solo/duo queue with Elo reset and map voting when playercount was in a better state (i.e., first week trial), but nothing happened. People came out of novice queues and were mauled by the real stomp comps (who by now also left again - my friends really aren’t like that, they just want to play the game too :frowning:), other people just left because they were fed up when they were forced into Face Off or Capture for the tenth time in a row. Playercount was halved again after the first weekend. When quick match was finally changed to something no one complained about anymore here (i.e., the current system), the whole momentum of going free was wasted. People were stuck in novice queues, I’ve personally tried to get them out of that situation if I found them and had time for playing a bit with them. I begged again to at least open access to the regular Bots Battle queue for low CR players to give them a chance to get into a game, nothing changed.

We are back at pre trial numbers again and it’s almost only the same people playing as before, but with one small change:

I don’t really know if it will now become private match only again or if most now just stop. Everyone I’ve talked to lately is just frustrated that always absolutely nothing has happened until it’s too late. This frustration flares up every time you start the game and it hinders just having fun with it. Personal problem of mine is also that I’m usually always been a little too late to get into those private sessions and spectating wasn’t really appealing for me.

Honestly, that “lorem ipsum”-Battleplan last week just added insult to injury.

Back to topic - mini match: The 3v3 queue might look like a solution for PC’s problem with low playercount, but people just don’t want to play Supercharge, Face Off and Capture. Private games with small teams can be fun, but you need to have control over the people you are playing with, because e.g., a Boldur still can take up to three players single-handedly out of the game by keeping them busy. Legendaries still are a balance mess and running more expensive gear is not as difficult with less players.

Mini match is fine for private games - even 1v1 Incursion can be fun. It seems to be a huge failure for public games, because of amplifying any balance problem the game has.

3 Likes

Honestly if they worked on all the issues around this game faster i don’t think the population would be bleeding at the rate that it is.
People voiced their concerns about spawn camping in capture ignored. people voiced their concerns about boldur still being immortal ignored. people voiced their concerns about the CC meta, i guess they forgot about the cleanse/ new gear or itll be here in another 4-6 months.
Matchmaking sucks, (hiding command ranks/group status isn’t fixing matchmaking) certain gears/combos are disgusting, and some characters are still devastating.
If they were to do that i’m sure they could do a meltdown/incursion 3v3 as a “final solution” the “real solution” IMO was to do a cross play but with how long ago that post was i don’t think it is on gearbox’s mind. :confused:. If they would’ve done the trial and cross play earlier, showing some dedication, perhaps we would have a nice sized community to play with.

2 Likes

I went into it with high hopes and I really wanted to like it but I thought it was pretty terrible honestly. I say “was” because the queue is dead and I have no idea why it’s still there. Supercharge feels rushed and unfinished. The massive damage the shard barrels can do makes the mode feel very gimmicky and helps to eliminate the need for any actual wave clear characters. It’s a minion based mode where Attikus serves as a better wave clear option than Orendi. The game simply isn’t balanced around the concept of a 3v3 which gives even more power to the tank meta and chain cc meta. Characters like Attikus and Boldur were designed with the thought that there would be five enemies on the other team to draw their fire. Boldur isn’t even balanced in a 5v5 so he’s sure as hell not going to be balanced in a 3v3. This makes the pool of viable characters extremely limited. Furthermore, it makes buildables overly powerful. You’ve got more reason to protect the elite bot spawn than the capture pad and the singular turrets that either team can buy make the mode largely a race to the buildables which isn’t exactly fun. Horizon is spread too far and virtually unplayable if you aren’t in a team of 3 communicating. I had hoped a 3v3 setting would allow individual performance to shine and carry a bit easier, but having one bad teammate sinks you far harder than having multiple bad ones in 5v5. The mode turns into just a deathball and snowballs out of control really hard. Most matches I played ended with one team having their characters at level 10 while the other were all around 6 or 7. When the mode was first hinted at, I had envisioned something like if you take Paradise, chop off one lane, and turn the central shard spawn into a capture pad. I figured the capture pad could improve the quality of your shephard so it grants overshields quicker or something of that nature. The mode might have worked if it was all one lane but with the two lanes, small waves, and short minion paths, it just doesn’t. I had some fun in 3v3 Incursion. The other 3v3s feel a bit too empty. Elite bot spam in Meltdown is already awful in a 5v5, brutal in a 3v3. You’d have to massively modify Supercharge to make it work and you’d have to do an entire re-balance dedicated to the 3v3 queue which obviously isn’t worth the time or effort which should be spent on much more important things like balancing the characters for preexisting modes, bug fixes, better queue offerings, map improvements (looking at you, Echelon), etc.

6 Likes

I ran supercharged the first two days it was out. It was fun in the beginning but I think that was only for the hype. Me and my team won many games, but only because we were running the broken comp. I feel like there’s around 5 characters that dominate the mode and the rest of the cast just doesn’t have a chance. The games are too short for cooldown and there’s a lot more exploitable ■■■■■■■■ to put up with (exploding barrels and knocking off map)

Anyway, I’ve only touched it twice since then, and after seeing the exact same comps both times, I just went back to 5v5.

3v3 imo lacks what makes battleborn BATTLEBORN.

4 Likes

Needs more chaos

4 Likes

THIS.

A hundred of these!

2 Likes

i feel like i should post my matches where i played montana and just sat on the supercharge the whole time wrecking all the non tanks.

3 Likes

I find it frustrating because either you’re team is steamrolling or your team is getting steamrolled, I have yet to see an in between of the two.

3 Likes

■■■■■■ mode. Just get rid of it and put draft mode back in.

4 Likes