Do You Ever Feel Guilty About Playing Just A Few Characters?

Does anyone else ever feel guilty about only maining a few characters who you have gotten really good with when we currently have 29 to choose from many of whom have two or three very different ways to play them?

I know that since getting every character to 15 and now that I only have 3 very grindy lore challenges standing between me and all characters being fully mastered, I have been sticking with Alani, Orendi, Gali, Ernest, KLEESE, Marquis, Ambra, Reyna, and sometimes Monty or MIKO or Benny or OM or Whiskey or Pendles (ok that’s a lot of characters but the or ones are pretty rarely used) when I play.

It was soooo fun having a reason, between command rank and lore, to dedicate a good chunk of time to each character, win or lose.

Im tempted to go “Random” in every match but that can have horrifying results!

How to you guys feel?

1 Like

I’ll tryhard if I suspect the other team is tryharding but I intentionally avoid rolling with tryhards so it typically doesn’t help XD I find KU is a good insurance policy if you can defend long enough. I like to Random.

1 Like

I feel bad always. For not dedicating my time to the Empress,or for wasting my time on an absent leader

2 Likes

Ah yes I main Kid Ultra also how could I forget?

Hmmm. Pre-nerf, I always felt a little bit guilty playing Thorn because I know how annoying she is to play against, but now they’ve crapped on her AoE she feels a little bit more justified.

I know a lot of people don’t like Ernest, but I think he’s fine - I don’t cheese with him as a rule, and he has some pretty hard counters. Never really felt bad about playing him.

5 Likes

Maybe if we get 30+ Loadouts I’ll play more characters more often. It’s hard to play a character that you don’t know how to use very well with conventional gear.

I don’t mind playing any character but it all depends on the mode, the enemy team, my team, etc.

I don’t like Marquis much, but when i was doing his lore I managed to get THE MOST ASSISTS (40+) with him than I could with other mains (like Ambra/Kleese/Ernest).

then there are characters that I don’t like because I think they’re cheesy (Benny/Gali etc) or are too reliant on team comp (Montana/Miko).

1 Like

I generally stick to a character that I prefer for each role. I have mastered all of the characters, so it is about playing a character that matches my style while filling any holes in our team composition. I have been playing Galilea, Alani, Melka, Whiskey, Phoebe, Reyna, and Ghalt. I can generally cover any role on the team with that group. I end up playing Galilea or Alani more because less people want to tank or heal.

1 Like

@joshua_obrien

I’ve started playing Pheebs a lot too!

Ok, I guess i play almost half the characters lol…

I never feel guilty about playing my favorites over the rest. I will say this though, I dread playing the others I’m not all that good with due to if I make a mistake or just trapped in a spot I can’t handle on this character too well, everyone comes down on me terribly hard in which makes it no fun trying someone different. Main reason why I don’t do pvp or group pve anymore.

1 Like

Call me a weirdo but I use just about everyone. My lowest character is at lvl 13, almost done with kid ultras lore and ill be done with everyones lore and the only reason is I Have been getting terrible lag or else I’d have everyone at max rank.

There are times when I do stop and think maybe I should be using my top character, specially when i see a 5 man pre made on the opposite end, but hey I have a blast playing everyone, So i take my chances and head into battle.

3 Likes

@Accursius13

That’s awesome, man, respect!

1 Like

Nope not even a little bit.

2 Likes

I get like this too with fighting games. I do the same for MKX, I feel anxiety as if I’m not getting my moneys worth if i shun out characters and never play them. Sometimes those characters you think you can’t use if you give them a bit of time and play around with them they end up being your favorite or give you some of the best games. Happened to me with Montana, Whiskey, Mellka, Attikus, Deande.

1 Like

I get that. With that said, I try all characters out myself a few times but I end up going with the ones that I like their personality and/or enjoy playing the most at the end of the day. In BB my #1 favorite is Ambra followed by Caldarius, Marquis, Phoebe, Montana, Reyna, Whiskey, and Kleese. Of course the others are simple to learn with practice but most of them I just don’t like all that much gameplay-wise.

It’s different if I’m playing a fighting game against friends. I change it up a lot due to if I’m winning and playing the same character all the time with them, they will get really upset.

1 Like

The tag line for Battleborn is, “For every kind of badass”, and the degree of uniqueness reflected in every character at every level reinforces the tag line and suggests, to me at least, that there is nothing to feel guilty about. Based upon the tag line you are suppose to play the character or characters that fit you. Unless of course one is playing competitively because that’s an entirely different set of considerations. Case in point, Kleese. I love Kleese. I love his primary play loop, I love his callouts, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his Call of the Cantankerous taunt! But he is a HORRENDOUS character to play competitively because he is impossible to miss, slow, has no escape, and waaaay too territorial. But do I feel guilty about playing him so often? NEVER!!! :smile_cat:

5 Likes

The solution to this problem is to find a group of regulars to play w/ who don’t take winning as the be-all-end-all and are willing to help carry so that you can experiment.

3 Likes

@studdugie

This.

Such this!

I realize now I also play Caldy and Attikus fairly frequently and I REALLY want to get back into Boldur!

I also use play as pretty much everyone, it’s rewarding to try and find new ways to use them all. The only one I ever feel guilty about playing is Ambra since I can use her better than any of the other characters. I only take her out into battle when I see my team is made up of low CR players. That way they have the best shot at surviving long enough to get the hang of whatever character they are using. Otherwise, I prefer using other characters and getting to know them better.

P.S. This is my first post on the forums, I hope I made sense

3 Likes

I feel guilty that I’m not playing other equally awesome characters. They’re all too good! Play Mellka, see a Deande, play Deande, see a Marquis land an ult from halfway across the screen, etc. Etc. I bounce a lot. I have most characters at 8 to 13, as the ones I really like I play till 13, and the ones I like but get distracted from hit 8. Attikus is an example. Deande, Phoebe, Miko, Ambra, Orendi, Mellka and Kleese are mastered

1 Like

No, because I don’t.
However even if I just perma-played my main (Caldarius), I would feel no guilt, because Caldarius is amazeballs.

1 Like