Does anyone else REALLY enjoy the process of leveling?

I really enjoy NVHM playthroughs, just grabbing whatever drops and having some fun with it.

HATE TVHM, it’s just a time suck and your build hovers in no man’s land before you get twin caps.

UVHM is fun again usually, but sucks having to swap out underlevelled gear sometimes.

OP8 is my preferred level for gameplay, but there is a certain joy in the levelling process.

2 Likes

For me, that’s when you first hit UVHM, 50-57 is the WORST time for leveling! Some characters can do without double caps, but Krieg and melee Zer0 in particular have a hard time in that early UVHM stage.

1 Like

Yes Zer0 in particular has a very difficult time without twins, in my experience the best way to play him in that awkward phase is cap cunning for Kunai and make do with a subpar sniper set.

Others have no issues. Maya and Axton especially have enough versatility to do well throughout.

1 Like

Depending on the character and build either Flynt is the first brick wall or the first encounter with rabid stalkers are. On Zer0 I had a serious fight with Flynt which made me wind up giving up on him altogether. When I was running an all Jakobs Salvador I was doing fine until I got to the Highlands where two rabids were chilling. I discovered very quickly that the bridge that crosses that little creek is a safe zone from stalkers save for their tail spikes.

I had an easy time with Krieg in UVHM but I went with a Mania focused build which does well in UVHM. I had more issues with him in normal mode than I did in UVHM.

2 Likes

For me it was fun leveling characters up for the first few times. But at this point I can’t level up with some sort of power leveling from someone cause I don’t have the patience to grind xp naturally.

3 Likes

Yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the question is more specifically leveling through normal gameplay vs. power leveling, then normal gameplay 100%.

The part that sometimes bothers me about this game is that it requires three full runs through the main story to reach level cap. Never seen that before in any game, and it has burned me out on BL2 in the past. Probably will again in the future too. I have to carefully manage my time between repetitions. Like many players I have all six characters active, at various stages of various playthroughs (Maya at 72, Axton in early UVHM, Krieg in mid-TVHM, Sal in late NVHM, Gaige in mid-NVHM, Zero in early NVHM). Now that Maya is at level cap she should be a good way to break any monotony that might set in with the other characters. That’s what I’m hoping anyway. :slight_smile:

I’ve had many more alts with much more repetition back when I played MMOs a lot and it didn’t burn me out the same way; I think it’s because the alts were spread over 4-5 years and there was only one repetition of any given content within each character’s progression.

And the main reason I’m in no rush to try Digistruct Peak and don’t expect to ever reach OP8 is because with 18 repetitions of the main story already lined up (6 already completed), doing further resets is the last thing I want to do. I’ll take Maya as far as her level 72 gear can take her, upgrade with farmable stuff (Hammer Buster, Bee, Hornet, etc.) and pick up some Lady Fists - I’m deliberately saving that quest for exactly this purpose. And when that isn’t enough, that’s where Maya stays.

4 Likes

I love starting fresh characters and leveling them up. I’ll echo what others have said and say I enjoy NVHM and using whatever world drops come my way throughout that playthrough.

Once I hit UVHM with them, I still find the leveling aspect fun. I tend to do more XP farming at that point (Bunker, Snowman, spiderant runs in the Dust, Pete’s bar) but it’s still fun for me to get the XP from those runs and grab the at-level loot that keeps me up to date (especially from the loot train and Bunker’s drops).

Going on to the OP levels, my interest drops a bit. I’ve gotten a Sal to OP8, a Maya to OP6 and a variety of others in the OP1-3 range, but I usually prefer to stick to 72 (with level 72 characters who are complete Peak virgins… I have 2 or 3, sometimes 4 of each class) for general endgame play. But knocking out those Peak runs is a great sense of accomplishment and it’s fun, don’t get me wrong!

3 Likes

i love to level. its whole reason for mobbing for me its where the fun factor for me is. everything dies. but once u hit 72 its like many people would just run through and skip mobs. i wished they didnt stop gaining xp at 72. my thought is they shud have made 72 a base for a build to be viable though UVHM. and then leveling after 72 would be Extremely slow like a 50xp per enemy kill stopping at like lvl 80 or not giving a skill point after 72 just a health/shield boost or something. that way you have something to gain when running through mobs instead of just skipping them.

1 Like

What I like about leveling or rather playing NVHM and TVHM is playing with whatever best gear I happen to get. On UVHM however refarming stuff gets old quickly.

4 Likes

One of the interesting things about the weapon proficiency system in BL1 is that it gave a reason for providing (and farming) XP even when you were max level. You can kind of still do that in BL2 with the BAR challenges, especially if you prestige. But, to be honest, I prefer starting a new character from scratch. I must be crazy…

2 Likes

I really do love that system. It made those guns you enjoy using last forever is some cases.

2 Likes

I probably shouldn’t raise this from the dead, so to speak, but I only just noticed this thread.

I used to enjoy getting to 72, on Xbox 360. But that was on an old gamertag and since then i’ve changed account and moved to Xbox One, so essentially I started again from scratch. I got 3 characters to 72, and it was still fun. Once i’d got two others through TVHM I just lost interest for a while.

I think the key when the leveling gets stale is don’t aim for leveling, but aim for other targets. It’s amazing how fast that XP bar shoots up when you aren’t thinking about needing to be level 72!

Sorry if I shouldn’t have posted so late after the last post :blush:

3 Likes

3 months is nothing! I’ve seen a necro post over 10 years old elsewhere. Other posters continued on the conversation as though nothing had happened! :smiley:

I’ve been in a bit of gaming slump and stepped away from BL2 to give myself a break but I think levelling a new Sal down the right hand tree might be just what I need :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m leveling a Brawn Sal right now actually (I believe I just finished TVHM Bloodshot), and it’s really refreshing not to be dependent on Moxxi weapons to get by.

1 Like

My Brawn Sal is done NVHM and most of the way through TVHM. So, that’s three Brawn Sals in 3 posts - must be doing something right, then!

4 Likes

I’ve been a Brawn Sal since day one. He was my first characters. :acmsmile:

Every Sal I have (four of them) is built the same.

2 Likes

I’ll stand by my March 1st post, though the repetition problem is getting even worse lately…

Mostly posting to add to the Sal side topic. Per Chuck’s advice, mine is working into the Brawn tree in TVHM (not sure that’s “Brawn Sal” since most points are in the middle tree to get the core gunzerking skills first). Even with 5-9 points in Hard to Kill, depending on COM, and carrying a Rubi, he still goes down a lot. Hopefully AGTTB will help.

1 Like

Have you try Abestos and / or I’m the Juggernaut ? I don’t know what your build is, but I find those skills more helpful than Hard to Kill when I build a Sal.

1 Like

Hard to Kill AND Asbestos make for a great combo…

1 Like