Does Anyone Remember The Original Concept For Borderlands?

The other day I was playing and chatting with a friend about this and another freind didn’t believe us about the original E3 game concept trailer.
When he found it on YouTube he was blown away. Because he considered himself to be a big fan and know all of the lore of the franchise…And never knew that the original concept of the game was going to be a gritty realistic FPS loot and shooter.

If anyone can find a link or a video and post here it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED…
Seeing how it’s been 10 years since the launch of Borderlands, I’m quite sure there’s people who have no idea about it, and how far the game has come since the original concept…

Note; I know this isn’t new to some of the community, I’ve seen it posted before on the Old, Old fourms.
I’ve been around since the OLD days but recently had to start a new profile since my old email was hacked.
I’m on my console rite now and having trouble trying to post a video if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it…

1 Like

this one

3 Likes

you might be also interested in this.

2 Likes

Yea that’s the one THANKS!!
A little :heart:and +1 for you…

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for all three posts.

2 Likes

Man watching that Codehunters thing…there’s no way Gearbox didn’t take…er…heavy inspiration from that.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen this before…
It was totally worth a watch. Another +1 to you…:grin::grin:
Just curious if this is where they got the idea to change from the original plan to change to the shade cell look?
I know the amount of guns and gear, plus hardware limitations were a big part of it.

1 Like

controversial. feels bad for ben hibbon.

I was contacted by Gearbox prior to the re-design of the game – in 2008. They asked me if I would be interested to direct/design some cut-scenes for them. We exchanged a few emails but the project didn’t materialize in the end. I didn’t think much of it at the time – until I saw the final game in 2009.

To be absolutely clear – I have never created or designed anything for Gearbox or Borderlands. Gearbox saw my work and decided to reproduce it – make it their own – without my help or my consent. The hardest part for me when this happened was understanding why they wouldn’t ask me directly. We were already talking about doing some work together – it made no sense.

4 Likes

got to step on the back of the little man to get rich, it’s always money over morals.

2 Likes

Wow this takes me back. I remember seeing this after starting the game and being blown away

2 Likes

We got talking about this a little bit ago on these forums after talking about the age of the characters and that lead to some old magazine scans. I’d forgotten that originally Lilith’s model was supposed to be Steele and some where along the lines they changed it.

1 Like

“Ain’t no rest for the wicked…”

1 Like

damn right, always scheming.

Seeing the original trailer takes me back too.
I’ll never forget that a buddy of mine watched it over and over and we played the original game in a group of friends with him.
And all the way through our first play through he kept saying " I can’t wait to get to the vault. There’s going to WALLS full of GUNS!!"
When we finally got there and beat it he said " What the f**k" in one of most disappointed tones I’ve ever heard.
And just quit the game without saying another word…
Ahhhh memories…

That video made me wish that they had put some sort of callback to Helena Pierce in BL3. :frowning: