Drop outs idea - let AI fill the slot temporarily (and let new humans replace)

In PVP, unranked at least, please consider filling missing player slots with AI players. It works really well in “Rocket League”. The problems with the current system:

A) players drop out midgame sometimes and usually never come back. Whether it’s because they ragequit the match, or lost connection. Odds are they won’t come back, so it leaves that team at a disadvantage. I don’t know how PVE handles it (does the difficulty scale back down?)

B) if players drop out after the vote then the rest of the players get subjected to a full minute of character selection and map loading before the game finally saying “not enough players”.

If the game just filled the empty slots with Bots until a human could fill the slot then gameplay could be more fluid and fair. You could even give the bot the same stats and maybe gear that the human left it with. At least let the bot be the same level the human was.

And another thought, let humans join games in progress to replace the bots. They could get at least the level the bot was so it wouldn’t be too disadvantaged. I guess things could get weird in the helix tree, so you could let the human choose each helix option from scratch. or even let the human choose a character and gear loadout like usual as they enter the match.

Remember, this is unranked anyhow. Sure, weird things could happen like I could drop a match and then try to rejoin the game with my other profile on my system so I could “fix” the game by using a new class. But, I think the benefits would far outweigh the issues. Plus, it would be hard to find the same open game.

This would help a ton with matchmaking delays and rebalancing teams.

@Jythri , any thoughts on this?

1 Like

The problem I thought of with this idea, if youve played against bots, they are far worse than the majority of people I play with/against. There are games I would rather try and 4v5 rather than have a bot feed, even if it’s only a few deaths before another player joins in. Then once that player joins in, what’s stopping them from saying “ew I hate playing Toby”, and quitting as well, more time with Bots McFeed A lot.

Also, say my friend disconnects, and he is replaced by someone else before he can rejoin. That just gives me a reason to quit as well.

As far as the pre game quits, as long as the players quit rather than don’t connect to the lobby, I agree it should immediately disconnect. I don’t enjoy waiting the minute either.

Just my 2 cents.

Allow joining players to chance character and start at whatever level the leaver was.

1 Like

if youve played against bots, they are far worse than the majority of people I play with/against.

Gods yes xD I play the odd Versus Private match if I want to try out a new character against something more closely resembling players than PVE mobs, and I had one where an AI Caldarius spent the entire thing trying to fly through a pillar. And another where an AI Miko kept running back and forth over a shard cluster point when no shard cluster was there.

TLDR the AI needs some fixin’ before it gets any use in actual PVP.

Also, say my friend disconnects, and he is replaced by someone else before he can rejoin. That just gives me a reason to quit as well.

As for this I’d just say have it on a timer. Say, 60 seconds of being disconnected and the game looks for a replacement. It’s long enough that people can get the game back up and reload (and maybe even reset their connection) without being so long that the team is put at a serious disadvantage for it.
Of course the ideal would be if the game could somehow identify if they were kicked off or hit Exit Game of their own accord; in which case I’d say the wait should be longer if they were kicked off due to a bad connection, but shorter if they hit exit game themselves. (Not instant because some people, myself included, might have to drop out and in to try and fix a lag issue or framerate problems or similar.)

1 Like

Yeah, my fear is that the bots are either going to be exploitably powerful, or become feeders.

The one bots that are decent are the ones with hit-scan weapons. Melee bots are total feeders.

This is imho the very problem to solve to fix PvP. Even more than unbalanced teams. You can win 3vs5 or 4vs5, but in the majority of cases it’s just a boring waste of time for everyone.

1 Like