Early Access Patch (Build ID #3731106)
A patch for Risk of Rain 2 Early Access is going live today, April 16th, 2019!
This patch is to address a ton of the more severe bugs we couldn’t safely patch in the first week, especially associated with connection or de-sync issues. It also comes alongside some balancing, and also a slight reworking of some Elite affix behaviors to try to make them all equally threatening. Below is a full list of the changes included in this patch, or you can visit our Knowledge Base or Discord !
You might noticed that a lot of these fixes are Community Found or a Community Suggestion. Risk of Rain 2 is still in Early Access, and we are paying attention to the community. These suggestions are coming from the General Discussion on the forums and the Feedback and Suggestions channel in Discord. If YOU have any feedback or suggestions, feel free to voice them in either location!
If you experience any issues regarding the update, or in general, please contact support.gearboxsoftware.com.
==== Gameplay Changes ====
- [Community Suggestion] Rework burning calculation with unique new burning damage type
- Number of stacks of Burning on the player are now visible in the buff bar.
- Burning is now capped at 5% of your health a second PER stack. Just to be clear - this is a nerf. It’ll always hit for less this patch.
- Now ticks at twice the frequency (but same overall damage).
- This damage type has also now been applied to the Magma Worm’s impact and fireball damage, alongside Elder Lemurian’s fire breath
- The intent here is to make it clear to the player what exactly a burn DOES, regardless of how it’s applied. Players never were told by the game that burning actually stacks. If you have a certain number of burn stacks, you will now be aware of exactly how much that will hit for. Overall this should make the burns way less bursty and way more consistent, also allowing heal over time effects to help counteract. The intent is NOT to make the entire game easier, or to make burns never kill you. Fire elites are the only purely offensive elite-type, so they should be causing deaths. It should just feel less BS now.
- Rework ice bomb
- Improve graphics for ice bomb left when killed to be more clear.
- Ice bomb damage reduced from 350% to 150%
- Ice bomb damage is no longer reduced at the edge of the radius
- Ice bomb now FREEZES characters in the radius for 1.5s
- Fire elites have always been the most threatening type, with the other 2 being pretty easy. The hope here is that after the nerf of the Fire affix, the Ice affix can now also be respected as a serious threat. The improved visuals should help clarify what the ice affix actually does - most players don’t seem to notice it drops a bomb at all. We’re starting with a low freeze duration to test how it feels.
- Lightning bombs from Lightning Elites now properly attach to players.
- Lightning elites now always spawn at full shields
- Improve lightning bomb graphics
- [Community Suggestion] Now switches between two modes of movement.
- Leaping: goes high in the air, raining fireballs when it impacts the ground. This was the Magma worm’s only previous stance.
- Grounded: Snakes low but fast around on the ground.
- The intent is to give a break from the Worm’s constant leaping and to give short range characters a chance to attack. The Worm should also be an intense fight, not a slog.
- [Community Suggestion] Reduced armor from 20 to 15 to make it less tanky.
- [Community Suggestion] Can now jump off of platforms so it doesn’t get stuck on certain ledges.
A Moment, Fractured
- [Community Suggestion] Obliteration now grants all participating players 5 lunar coins.
- People want a legit way to get more lunar coins, and there’s currently no purpose on obliterating past the first time. This should help alleviate both.
- Increase radius from 6m to 9m.
- [Community Suggestion] Reduce proc coefficient per tick of his laser from 1 to 0.15.
- This primarily affects the duration of burning effects.
- [Community Suggestion] Reduce proc coefficient of mortar attack from 3 to 0.5.
- *This primarily affects the duration of burning effects.
- [Community Suggestion] Reduce base health from 150 to 100.
- [Community Suggestion] Reduce base health from 250 to 200.
- [Community Suggestion] Increase Artificer proc coefficient on Flame Bolt from 0.2 to 1.
- [Community Suggestion] Increase Artificer proc coefficient on Snap Freeze pillars from 0 to 1.
- [Community Suggestion] Increase Artificer’s Snap Freeze explosion radius from 1.5m to 2.5m to alleviate it not always freezing enemies who trigger it
- Artificer mistakenly had very low proc coefficients. Consider these bug fixes.
- Arrow Rain proc coefficient raised from 0.1 to 0.2 per tick.
- Arrow Rain had a very low proc coefficient because of its AoE dot status, but it was unnecessarily low.
- Extend timeout duration to recast Blinding Assault from 2s to 3s
- Small QoL. Allows Merc to be able to cast his other abilities between recasts of Blinding Assault without losing his recasts.
- Improve FMJ impact graphics
- We think that a majority of the Commando’s problems are actually VFX and SFX making him feel weak and boring. This is a small first step towards that. A full pass will be done in a later patch.
- [Community Suggestion] Time now pauses in intermission stages (A Moment, Bazaar, etc)
- [Community Suggestion] Add 3 second invincibility period when first spawning into a map.
- [Community Suggestion] Add localized formatting for numbers in the scoreboard (i.e it will now say 1,234,567 instead of 1234567.)
==== Bug Fixes ====
- Fixed a MAJOR issue with preplaced networked objects. This issue was especially frequent for clients with better performance specs than their host. This should fix at least the following bugs:
- [Community Found] Map assets (portals, shop contents, Teleporters) will no longer sometimes be missing for clients
- [Community Found] Clients will no longer be stuck in the pod when entering a stage
- [Community Found] Clients will no longer be stuck mid-air when entering a stage
- [Community Found] Clients will no longer be unable to select a character if joining from one networked session to another
- [Community Found] Clients will no longer be missing out-of-bound zones, causing them to fall forever
- [Community Found] Allow changes in maximum health/shield to instantly fill that missing amount. This means that Wake of Vultures / Transcendence will no longer give you empty shield.
- [Community Found] Improve spawn logic to reduce chances of spawning through the floor
- [Community Found] Clean up Engineer Turret skill drivers to fix their AI not working sometimes
- [Community Found] MUL-T’s secondary Equipment will no longer inherit the cooldown of the first when picking up Equipment off the floor
- Improve collision detection of Helfire aura
- Update Elite naming for localization and appearance in pings
- Prevent pre-placed map objects spawning into dynamically spawned ones
- [Community Found] Clean up Save procedures to reduce chance of save corruption
- [Community Found] Names for reconnected players will now appear correctly instead of ???
- [Community Found] Bloom can now be turned off in the settings
- Frozen material overlay now properly always display
- Update Huntress strafing animation to blend properly. Fix incorrect normal textures. Add missing jump animation.
- [Community Found] Fix Artificer’s Snap Freeze explosion radius not being large enough to always freeze enemies who trigger it
- Fix AI sometimes considering itself as a target for friendly searches
- [Community Found] Fix Engi being able to sometimes get more than 2 turrets
- [Community Found] Fix Merc being able to take major fall damage during dashing attacks. This is actually a significant portion of blazing deaths - you dash in, get set to 1, and then get ticked for that last point of health.
- [Community Found] Remove typo in Engineer description
- [Community Found] Fix slider value text scrolling past the mask in the options menu
- Imp Overlords no longer blink off into the distance if no viable target is found
- [Community Found] Brass Contraption bodies can no longer be targetted by clients
- Radar Scanner now properly identifies teleporters and barrels
- Correct some typos
- Reducing screenshake no longer reduces controller vibrations
- Controller vibration no longer persists into the main menu after quitting a run
==== QOL ====
- Reduce particle system noise quality to improve performance.
- Allow use of the Pause menu in character select
- Slightly increase bloom threshold in Abyssal Depths to be less glowy.
Early Access Patch (Build ID #3743353)
This hotfix patch is to address a bug added in Build ID #3731106
==== Bug Fixes ====
- Fixed an issue where enemies executed from freezing didn’t call the correct events, leading to no money, on-kill procs, and potentially a stalled Teleporter event.