Early Development Amara's Name

I am not sure if this is a spoiler or not but perhaps it could be considered one, so

Did anyone else notice in the Behind the Scenes animation called “Cycle 15 RNR” that Amara’s original name was Lorelai?

I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing this, but maybe I missed it in the pre-release coverage.

5 Likes

Yup.

1 Like

I would have probably preferred it, Amara sounds too much like Maya in my opinion.

1 Like

I thought it was quite interesting that they re-used the name for another character also.

2 Likes

It is a very nice name, I’m glad it got used in the end. There’s also quite a bit of footage of Lilith using her model, which is interesting.

Furthermore, in that same clip there are also Fl4k as Fl-4k and, very briefly, Zane as Marco.

4 Likes

@an_arbitrary_firefly Cool catches! I missed the Zane as “Marco” thing. That was a good call by GBX to go with Zane. Dope name.

I did notice the Fl4k (which is how I always have written it because I am too lazy to hit the shift key to capitalize “L” on my phone :rofl:) spelling changed from a lowercase “l” to a capital “L,” and I believe the reasons, in my estimation, are that (a) the capital L is more consistent with the leetspeak theme, and (b) because in the “Borderlands” font, the lowercase L’s look like 1’s or capital i’s - so it looks like “Fiak” or “Fonak” depending on how you interpret it. So that one made a lot of sense too.

1 Like

Lorelai is not really an Indian name, isn’t it? Perhaps that’s one of the reasons it got changed.

3 Likes

My guess is they changed the name when they decided that the Siren character would have an indian theme to her. Lorelei is pretty central european, so it just wouldn’t be particularily fitting.

4 Likes

I was trying to look to see if I could tell if the character was Indian to start, but the character model was too small in the video to identify any hints of any race at all for the “Lorelai” character. But maybe someone on PC would have the display quality to see it. Or I am just blind. :rofl:

I’m probably being really stupid but how exactly does one access all the behind the scenes stuff? Is it in game or do I just simply go on YouTube or something?

If you own the Director’s Cut, there should be a “Behind the scenes” option on the main menu :+1:

3 Likes

It occured to me after watching the D’sC that because the siren originally was named Lorelai, that’s why there are NPC comments like “that Lorelai would make a great vault hunter”. It’s possibly an internal GB joke of sorts.

4 Likes

Sweet, I was being an idiot. Cheers mate

3 Likes

I like the idea/name “Lorelai the Siren,” but it does not comport with Amara’s character background as well as the name the writers chose.

1 Like

@piratebones2 I am playing the Ava missions right now. In the process I am noticing that Lorelai definitely was “drawn” to look like she could have been or will be a siren. The weird makeup, covered forearms (hiding potential tattoos, etc.), and general vibe kind of make her come off as a Siren. So I wonder if the Lorelai we got was originally supposed to be the character model for what ended up becoming Amara.

It would be interesting to hear from the devs whether there is any substance to this.

2 Likes