So there was this little conversation started on the Nisha Top Gear thread about elemental effects proc chances when you matched elements.
Basically some people (Mainly @Aite and @akdere1) said that if a fire gun for example, had 20% chances to ignite it’s target, the chances would rise to 40% on flesh (Because fire does twice the damage to flesh in UVHM) and would fall to about 5% on shield and Armor (because fire on those is only 40%)
I initially laughed it off (Like the arrogant SOB that I am) but they insisted I at least give it a try…which I reluctantly did, if only to prove them wrong so they would shut up about it and once again prove my superiority through witty rhetoric…
Turns out that my initial testings revealed that there might be something to it as my results seemed in line with their claims. So I immediately started screaming about it like an amphetamine-crazed Isaac Newton wannabe. After @Sljm wisely recommended that I calm my tits and reminded me of the fickle nature of RNG (And of @HeyCarNut’s brillant post on the subject) I set out to find the truth using much more reliable (and tedious) testing methods.
This is a thread about them.
- Strip naked
- Turn on my playstation
…wait, that’s not right.
- Turn on my playstation
- Strip my CHARACTER naked (removing all gear except for the guns I’m testing)
- Turn BAR off
- Reset skills
- Only spec into snap shot, Bona Fide Grit and Fistful of bullets (so that I won’t have to reload as often… it’s already long as it is.) They shouldn’t affect the results in any way.
- Get a hold of one gun of each element: Snipers, non-Maliwan (because they have splash) Snipers were chosen because they have high elemental chance, so the results would be more significant. (I could have used railers too but I found 4 snipers first)
- Shoot at the flesh dummy’s torso with the shock sniper
- Register each time an elemental effect proc’ed
- repeat until all 132 bullets are gone
- save/quit then reload character (to reset RNG seed)
- repeat twice (so 396 shots in total)
- shoot 4 more time to satisfy my inner OCD
- Repeat whole process with the shielded and armored dummies
- Complain that it’s very long
- Repeat WHOLE process with a fire, corrosive and cryo sniper
- Post my numbers here so we can discuss them
I will edit this post with new results as I generate them (I’m not doing this in a single night… I have friends and responsibilities)
##The actual numbers
Number of procs:
On flesh: 86/400 = 21.5%
On armor: 83/400 = 20.75%
On shield: … 400/400 = 100% …I’m as puzzled as you are
on flesh: 167/400 = 41.75%
on shield: 98/400 = 24.5%
on armor: 103/400 = 25.75%
on flesh: 96/400 = 24%
on shield: 80/400 = 20%
on Armor: 168/400 = 42%
on flesh: 108/400 = 27%
on Shield: 31/400 = 7.75%
on Armor: 98/400 = 24.5%
it does look like there is substance to the idea, but so far, I’m getting well below 30% on both flesh and armor, and WAAYY more than 30% on shield. In fact, even if it was linked directly to elemental modifiers, 100% procs is above the 90% chances we should be seeing if it was the rule (shock is 3x damage on shields in UVHM).
Edit: Shock is x2.75, not x3.