Elements on the Peak

Again, according to my tests, shock did extremely poorly against robots but I’d love to have some more data on that.

Okay. I did some testing on OP4, and enemies had elemental resistances. Corrosive was doing less than fire on flesh targets, but did more to armoured enemies, which fire did not. I dunno if it was my set of Infinities or what, but they distinctly had resistances

Wow - now I’m even more confused. I was sure fire was “neutral” - therefore no buffs. I recall Bahroo hacked his session to trick the game into thinking he wasn’t there so he could demonstrate something or other - this would be helpful!

I think it’s time to do this scientifically. Take a non-splash elemental single-shot gun ( Hyperion sniper maybe? ) and duplicate it with all 3 elements (I going to have to break down and Gibbed this), skills off, no BAR, no relic. Then try on bandits, robots (I know they have a shock resistance on the Peak), beasts, bosses - they all may have different a different elemental status. To survive, I’ll run a OP8 Maya in OP0.

No time this weekend to do it but I’ll get on it soon.

2 Likes

See, NOW I’m cornfuseded.

I did OP1-2 already with a new siren. Main weapon was corrosive Bandit SMG level 72 (BotA & Leg. Cat are given). It didn’t seem to take unusually long to kill fleshbags, except that the many ‘slagged’ enemies in the 1-to-2 run just took doggone forever (assuming a slag resistance was at work). But even DPUH didn’t make much difference there.

Corrosive, as expected, still sucked against shields and crushed bots. Didn’t bother even equipping fire (launcher, corr. SMG, Grog Nozzle, DPUH). Now I may have to try fire just for those slagged spiderants and BA skags. Or shock. Not sure.

:frowning:

1 Like

I’d love to be able to test explosive but I’m not sure how exactly - at the very least it would need to be compared to Peak vs non-Peak. :fearful:

1 Like

IIRC, and I may be mistaken… I think enemies with specific resistances retain those in the Peak, while enemies who typically have unspecific resistances were neutral to fire in the Peak?

Bandits and slags there seem to get wrecked by Cloudkill, while Oney clearly retains explosive resistance, etc?

2 Likes

Refresh my memory here. AFTER doing the side quest with elemental weapons, does the range in Marcus’s shop give you different targets or is it just the one?

I know the one on Deck 13 1/2 in TPS has different types, but don’t remember the one in Sanctuary.

At any rate, would need to find spiderants, skags, bandits, and loaders & surveyors. Vidcap/screencap results against them, then run the peak and do the same with the exact same explosive weapon. As it happens, I think I held on to a Lance from the Torgue DLC. Single projectile should be more straightforward to test with.

It’s just the one flesh target. Deck 13 1/2 in TPS has a dummy with shields, a loader and a flesh target

2 Likes

As I feared. And that one fleshbag is a Hyperion engineer. Bummer. Gonna have to test completely in the wild.

Pre sequel and BL2 are very similar. The elemental damage multipliers are the same (I think). You can test it by shooting the flesh dummy in BL2 and the one in TPS with a white-rarity Maliwan pistol of different elements (all with matching parts, of course).

Not quite, TPS has different UVHM multipliers. TPS buffs them going from TVHM to UVHM in BL2 TVHM has the same multipliers to UVHM(exception being Slag).

1 Like

Likely influenced in part by the lack of slag in TPS. Yeah, just to eliminate the question of there being potentially any difference behind the scenes, I think it should be trsted in BL2 for any BL2 reference.

Preliminary report:
So as proposed : all Hyperion snipers (Auditory Transactions) completely identical other than in shock, corrosive, fire - base damage 79152. BAR off, no relic, Leg Binder COM with no damage skills specced:

All testing strictly done on Digistruct Peak

OP0 skags:
Body shot :791K damage all elements / 2374K with slag
Crit shot : 15830K all elements / 47490K with slag
Obvious conclusion : all elements neutral on skags

OP1 spiderants

• Monarch and Slagged Centurion:
    Head armour shot : 249K fire / 84484 corrosive / 142K shock (slag : 747K fire, 256K corr, 427K shk)
    Crit shot : 2849K all elements (slag : all 8548K)

-Fire spiderant:
Head armour shot : 83109 fire / 94982 corrosive / 158K shock (slag: 249K fire, corr data lost!, 474K shk)
Crit shot : 949K fire / 2849K corrosive and shock (slag: 2849K fire, 9498K corr & shk)

NOTE: quick test on a fire spiderant with identical non-elemental Hyperion sniper
Head shot : 237K / Crit shot : 3799K

Conclusion : spiderants have resistance to all elements (esp corrosive!! But least to shock) whereas elemental foes also retain their additional specific elemental resistance. IIRC, the only elemental beasts on the Peak are fire spiderants (other than slag). Non-elemental weapons do substantially more damage unless elemental relics (BoA’s) are used and then they are roughly equal - but only on crits. A case may be made for defaulting to non-elemental for sp-ants.

Edit : the more I look at @scclarke 's post, the more it seems I’m simply duplicating it, so I will halt further testing as he’s done a great job.

4 Likes

To be clear, this is on the Peak right?

Yes. I’m only concerned about elemental anomalies on the Peak. I actually thought I should update the above post to clarify that - so I’ll just go ahead and do that.

1 Like

One question about your non-elemental testing

You said you used a identical sniper
But dont non-elemental weapons(other than shotguns I think) have a higher base damage?

Yes - in this case 949814 vs 79152. It’s just that the splash damage plus any elemental buffs (BoA) may not equal non-elemental in certain circumstances. Or rather, spiderants have such erratic and goofy elemental weaknesses ( eg shock was best on body hits or Scorch’s fire resistance) that it may be simpler to go non-e rather than try to remember which element is best. In one test corrosive was the worst element.

Basically it’s worth considering and trying out. And only with spiderants. Any other enemies elemental will win out for sure.

1 Like

So I took some advice from this. Seems that shock worked better than corrosive or fire against Spiderants for non-critical hits. SO, I equipped a Florentine (along with a nice Hyperion corrosive SMG, Grog Nozzle, and Badaboom), corrosive BotA, etc., and ran the Peak for OP3. Smooth as silk. Didn’t bother swapping anything around, and ammo consumption never got truly problematic. Corrosive handled the Assassins just fine, as well. Either SMG worked plenty well against the Surveyors. But where I was taking forever to kill spiderants (those slagged centurion spiderants are a pain) before, they were dropping pretty quickly this time around. Still not sure if it’s a better solution than just pounding them with DPUH, but it’s better than an all-corrosive loadout to be sure.

2 Likes

My new Scorch killer is the Crit w/ shock Bone and L Cat COM. I swear it’s out-DPS-ing any other setup I’ve got - mind you, this isn’t testing, it’s just killing. I don’t have a shock SandHawk, so can’t compare that.

1 Like

Leg. Cat or Binder + Shock Ladyfist = 2 dead scorches. Hold that crit spot still for a couple seconds and Scorch just dissipates.

3 Likes