Everything wrong with Battleborn (and how to fix them!)

I could probably have lived with it, if not for the lag thing. :disappointed:

It used to be that, whenever we got shoved onto a west coast US server and I was rubberbanding/reload-glitching all the over place, I could just say, “Okay, no big deal, I’ll handle wave clear this match.”

Now that option isn’t viable, leaving me with nothing but awful-laggy-assassin in those situations. And because the game doesn’t properly show connection until the game starts (and characters are picked), you always have to assume the worst - which is why @Ginger_greninja, who loves Phoebe, was never able to pick her.

It’s a completely personal detail, but as I said above, as an Australian player, having that wave-clear playstyle as an option was very important for me. To me it’s as profound a change as if Alani lost her ability to heal, and Torrent instead only did damage. I loved playing assassin Mell, and I embraced it when I wasn’t on an EU or West server, but on those servers, I played wave clear.

I feel like my character is gone.

Mellka’s wave-clear was a combo, rather than just a single WC power, though. That’s Spike and venom and a helix option (Parting Gift) all stacked together. Now she can stack those three things and still not do viable wave clear. To my mind, it wasn’t intentional, but was a knock-on effect that Gearbox didn’t factor for… but seemingly are not troubled by.

Unwind the venom hotfix, revert her to launch health, and either increase the cooldown on Claw Lunge or reduce its altitude. And that would be done and dusted, imho.

1 Like

I think you’re probably right about the unintended effect of the stacked abilities. I think one reason we love BB is the depth of really learing a character, which skills to chain, how they move, etc. I also think it is entirely possible that some players have gotten to know the BB better than the devs themselves.

The aussie server issue absolutely sucks, but I also think it wouldn’t make sense to balance characters based on the effects lag have on them.

On the unintended consequences thing, I’ll say this: currently my favorite BB is Alani. I destroy with her. I usually outdamage everyone on the server and often have the most kills. She got a rather massive (unintended?) buff when the minion waves were buffed. Ever since that minion-wave buff, it is just very easy to have full torrent stacks 24/7. Was that meant to happen? Was the Mellka skill/venom stack nerf intended? Its hard to say. If it wasn’t intentional it could well be reverted.

Oh, I agree - that’s why it’s just a personal note. Although I do think there’s still a serious issue when a character goes from having a great wave-clear role (not top tier, but great) to no longer being a wave-clear character at all. Now that venom is 6 DPS over 8 seconds, no minion wave in existence is going to care.

That also said, I do think it doesn’t hurt to have characters that are viable in red bar, because frankly, we all know the red bar issue is never going away. Not until they put region locking on consoles (and every indication is that they can’t.) Having viable DOT characters on the rosters helps give options for players with all kinds of connections - and it’s kinda cruel in the tenth month to take away one of the few, if not only, DOT-centric characters this game had.

Ah well. I have the memories.

Yeah I see what you mean. I guess the pain of loss is the proof of the joy that preceded it. Now I feel sad. And here in Portland, where West Coast full-green bar servers are aplenty, it’s past midnight and I need to count my blessings and get some rest. Good night to all.

3 Likes

Well I started a write up on a way to go with Mellka’s design that would be fun, offer play style choice, and keep room for Venom…

But finally I just went “You know what, screw that!”

Would this new design be a fun Battleborn to play? Yes.

But would it be Mellka? No!

And that’s the point!

So much of what defines these characters comes from how we play them, over hundreds of matches, and the way we learn to move WITH them, rather than just controlling them. They start to feel alive in our hands, and changing the fundamental WAY they play changes the very essence of that experience. It turns that character in to something wholly unfamiliar, and that’s very unsettling!

So rather than post some set of suggestions, I’m going with “Just bring the old Mellka back! And also Orendi!”

1 Like

He won’t. He’s had three or four of these posts, and has yet to have a single person agree with him. The last post he made got him suspended for a week.

6 Likes

I was gonna try argue with this person but he’s banned again…

1 Like

Yep. This guy just keeps creating the same topics about the same things. Glad he’s banned. Once again.

1 Like

Hey folks, there’s really no need to discuss what happens to other forum users here.

1 Like

Just stating facts like the OP was.

Aaaaaaaand it’s time to get back on topic. Thanks.

3 Likes

What was the topic?

2 Likes

Hmm.

Fair point. Definitely not other forum users, though.

6 Likes

Blaine, blaine. I got this. ahem.

do you have any idea what that would do to calculated risk and that other thing kleese does?!?!?!?!?!??! and that’s just the primary stat. taking into account secondary stats would render the comeback king worthless in comparison.[quote=“sonyktukevil, post:1, topic:1556411”]
Deande should have a holotwin buff on her helix’s, ALSO, her “+50 dash distance” should be DEFAULT, not a helix, the wonder twin mutation should replace it.
[/quote]

okay fam. lemme break this one down. FIRST! Deande has several helix choices that buff holotwin. the complete list of helixes that buff holotwin directly is as follows:

Double trouble
wonder twins
all safeties off
refined emitters
Ire’s echo
and of course lingering light.

if you find these buffs to be insufficient then please explain what kind of buff you were going for with this.

SECOND!

her “+50% dash distance helix” is non existent. I’m going to assume you are talking about Deadly Reach, which is a 40% (not 50%) increase to damage distance (not dash distance). There is an extremely important distinction to be made between dash distance and damage distance.

Dash distance would affect the distance travelled by Deande during the burst dash

Damage distance is the distance the damage wave travels after Deande stops moving.

If you want a more detailed explaination then I recomend reading one of my old threads on the topic here

And no it should not be default IMO.

THIRD!

if Deadly Reach was the default and was replaced by wonder twins then no one would ever chose wonder twins. no one does even now. And more importantly what would replace wonder twins at the bottom there? A 50% increase to all skill damage? An augment that turns burst dash into a paradigm shift? a stillborn zebra? Give me something to work with here! anything! hello?

Damn i just realised how late it is.

Okay Blaine that’s it. I got your back. :wink:

5 Likes

and please lets stay on topic. Ive been trying to have this discussion over a few threads and they keep getting shut down before i have time to say anything.

1 Like

I am not sure how I feel about 1 minute, but here’s a couple thoughts.

Dying should matter and have a cost, especially in an objective game or it will be abused.

If you had instant respawn time then you’d respawn back in your teams spawn area so quick it would be extremely hard to make any progress in meltdown or incursion past mid-field.

As a spectator for a minute, you should be watching the battlefield to see who needs help on your team next, what objective you can help, who is causing the most trouble for your team, etc…

Also, I’m fairly sure the respawn clock doesn’t start at 54 seconds. I think the more deaths the team has, the longer it takes for anyone to respawn?

4 Likes

It might be part of balance? I don’t know. I haven’t tried Pendles yet so I can’t judge. But let’s say that every character is balanced via numbers adding up to 100. Maybe his primary is rated 50, his helix 20, his ultimate 25 and his secondary 5. If his secondary was too good then maybe he’d be over powered? Essentially if his numbers added up to more value than 100. So perhaps each class has to be compared to every other class. What is their secondary like, how much DPS, what are it’s pros/cons/limits? If you have a class that has a really strong everything compared to all other classes then perhaps that class is over powered and valued much higher than 100.

If I were to judge Reyna I’d say her ultimate is 35, her primary is 20, her secondary is 30 and her helix is 15. It’s hard to judge it though, especially including the helix. It might be easier to judge her as if she’s level 10 with some decent helix builds selected for various purposes.

I’m not sure if anyone else has asked this or you’ve covered it, but what are your thoughts on what they’ve done for Caldarius vs Mellka? I could be wrong, since I haven’t looked at the notes in a while, but they outright buffed caldarius without nerfing him. I though he was good before, but they seem to have overall made him better. Mellka though, I’ll never understand why they nerfed her. Yes, she was annoying, yes she was powerful but that’s Mellka, and that’s what she did best, she could be dealt with in a number of ways. Now she’s just…I don’t know. She still has some potential, but I believe she was (almost) perfect before, maybe a slight nerf was needed, but they’ve taken it too far in my eyes. What I don’t understand is why they have given buffs to some characters that I feel weren’t exactly NEEDED, and took things away from characters that weren’t exactly NEEDED. This is purely discussing balance btw.

Simply calling “facts!” is no discussion or a debate. Next time please allow a discussion to grow and flow, it´s what these forums are ment for.

For everyone: Please use the flag system or PM a moderator with concerns about other users, posts, topics, ect. The open forums are no place for that.