Evolution of badass rank - guardian tokens

I love this bit of info from the recent Gearbox VIP article…

The Guardian Rank bar sits above your usual XP bar on all your Vault Hunters and is leveled up via experience points; every bar you fill unlocks a Guardian Token, which you can spend to unlock bonus stats across three distinct trees. Spending a Guardian Token lets you choose one option from a total of six randomly selected stats, two from each tree, from a total list of 17 helpful varieties:

Enforcer

• Critical Damage
  • Grenade Damage
  • Gun Damage
  • Gun Fire Rate
  • Melee Damage
  • Vehicle Damage

Survivor

• FFYL (Fight For Your Life) Duration
  • FFYL Movement Speed
  • Max Health
  • Shield Capacity
  • Shield Recharge Delay
  • Shield Recharge Rate

Hunter

• Accuracy
  • Action Skill Cooldown
  • Luck (Rare Drop Rate)
  • Recoil Reduction
  • Reload Speed
2 Likes

I love it because:

A) experience will have value even when you’re max level. FINALLY. Still, I wonder if those Kill X with Y challenges will still be around and relevant too?

B) you will always have 2 from each category to choose from. One of those categories is my favorite: damage output (enforcer). I also like hunter for Action Skill Cooldown or Luck (rare drop rate)

4 Likes

well looks cool, but if they give small numbers gonna be a problem

1 Like

Why would that be a problem?

1 Like

Well… I see what he’s getting at. Imagine if:

A) the guardian rank bar increased as slow as the bar from level 79 to 80 does. Which is probably about 12 to 15 kills of Uranus.

and

B) if your increase in a guardian stat was only 0.01%

I have a feeling that the guardian rank bar will be balanced differently than the level bar. I suspect it will generally increase faster than your regular XP bar.

As for item B, if it’s like BL2, it will probably be larger jumps at first and then eventually smaller jumps. But maybe not.

It’s hard to tell how rewarding it will feel until we try it. I suspect I’ll enjoy it. I really didn’t like how XP felt wasted at max level during BL1 and 2. When thematically, as people, I feel we always can learn something new from our experiences and improve our life and chances going forward.

1 Like

probaly something along the lines of paragon points in D3, the first few lvl goes fast then it takes more time as you go up in ranks.

3 Likes

I am hoping it is basically the same as Badass Rank (BAR). Just the tokens awarded are handed out/spent different than how they were on BAR. Because I loved chasing those challenges and completing them. I also hope they kept some form of the BAR Prestige so you can keep increasing.

2 Likes

Not really a problem since it appears to just be straight exp gain rather than having to complete in game challenges with characters repeatedly or exploiting token glitches. Basically the more you play the more ranks you get without having to track specific activities.

4 Likes

well i wrote that ignoring the mayhem mode and the xp boost.
the way I saw it was so much xp for little numbers, but now i have no problems with small numbers …

1 Like

Going heavy on thw Enforcer then some Hunter for the rares

1 Like