[EXAMPLE] Backgrounds #1 - Discussion

Anyone successlfuly made a background here?

Raises hand… :wink:

I think EatThePath has, yeah?

1 Like

I was able to get the example to work and export skyboxes, I didn’t go much further as when I tried to make my own planets and objects I had lots of really weird behavior that I wasn’t interested in debugging at the time and I was waiting for the star field tools

Right, my mistake was most likely that I jumped directly into my custom bg. I’ll run the examples as they are first.

That’s correct. Most of my troubles getting it working were actually trouble with blender. The HW:@ asset pack actually has HODOR sources for our own backgrounds if you want them as an alternate example, though they’re far from ideal in technical detail.

2 Likes

Didn’t you and I have a conversation about this? Or is it someone else I’m thinking of?

As one who wrote a ROT tool for HW2, I can tell you that the ROT format was really kinda pointless. It was just a wrapper for TGA or DDS files, when the game understood those formats anyways…

1 Like

Yes, we had. My question was about the sub settings in the dds plugin, not the choice between 8888-dxt1-dx5-etc… :wink:

edit : Oh my god ! How did I manage to say “we add” instead of “we had” :scream:

Okay good! I’m glad I wasn’t going crazy! (Not this time, anyways) :wink:

Thanks to your quote, I just saw the ENORMOUS crazy thing I wrote :scream:

I remember the original release with the upside down inverted color problems until we figure out that Rot wasn’t useful, I don’t even remember what features it had

Here’s the VB code snippet for the ROT format:

Global Const HW2ROTFORMAT_UNKNOWN As Long = &HDEAD&
Global Const HW2ROTFORMAT_8888 As Long = 1024
Global Const HW2ROTFORMAT_DXT5 As Long = 1029
Global Const HW2ROTFORMAT_DXT3 As Long = 1030
Global Const HW2ROTFORMAT_DXT1 As Long = HW2ROTFORMAT_UNKNOWN ' 1031?

Global Const HW2ROT_HEADID = "HEAD"
Global Const HW2ROT_MIPSID = "MIPS"
Global Const HW2ROT_MLVLID = "MLVL"

Type HW2ROT_HEAD
  lWidth As Long
  lHeight As Long
  lFormat As Long
  lMipMapCount As Long
End Type

Type HW2ROT_MLVL
  lMipMapIndex As Long
  lWidth As Long
  lHeight As Long
  lSize As Long
  bData() As Byte
End Type

Type HW2_ROTFile
  header As HW2ROT_HEAD
  MipMapLevels() As HW2ROT_MLVL
End Type

Yes, it really was that simple lame.

seriously ? Just a container with the “base” format and a table with each mipmap format ? oO

Yes.

So no additionnal informations at all compared to a tba/dds file… I wonder why they implemented this to begin with, that’s strange