Expectations in retrospect

I’ve recently read some articles, and YouTube, reddit comments etc written by players complaining about things like the original drop rate, uvhm scaling, lack of backpack space etc. If you were a part of the forum back then you likely remember the same type of comments. In the articles I have read, namely this one. (https://tay.kinja.com/is-there-any-hope-the-next-borderlands-game-wont-suck-1563740007 )
The authors ended up moving on before the final patches of the game were released. These articles are usually really old and highlight to me how different borderlands 2 is now compared to when it was released. I can only assume that gearbox and the developers will deliver a product that is more complete than its predecessor. Sure the vanilla game was gigantic, but it was essentially missing it’s end game, and when the uvhm packs were released the scaling was a bit off, and the drop rates were still underwhelming. The 3x multiplier the have now hits the sweet spot for me. Legendary drops are rare enough for me to get excited, and I have to farm my ass off if I want an op8 Bekah.

When borderlands 2 was released it had fixes a lot of “problems” of the original, more varied environments, loot felt more varied (even if technically it’s not) the playable characters were a lot more interesting and the game had a more cohesive story. The original issues that borderlands had were seemingly solved but replaced with new problems.

With the “leak” that recently happened and a lot of fans and YouTube alike expecting a release within a year feel that this is a topic that will soon be on a lot of our minds. Whenever the game does drop, I plan on enjoying it for what it is, not for what the others are or are not. I am patiently and eagerly waiting for what I am sure is going to be an amazing game. And I think it’s important to not build up expectations for what it will be like. It’s borderlands. And borderlands is awesome. And that’s all I expect.

4 Likes

My advice for the release of bl3 is to not jump on the hype train. Watch the trailer when it releases(has one been released?) and don’t look at anything else

2 Likes

the leak is fake though.

2 Likes

I think the most difficult expectation is how they will handle the multiplayer aspect beyond couch co-op.

I love me some couch co-op but have there been many successful games lately without some sort of massive multiplayer or social aspect?

Will they or won’t they change the recipe?

1 Like

The picture is fake for sure. Doesn’t mean the information is. Regardless I’m not posting about the leak, I’m posting about the fact that when bl2 was released it was hyped up so much and delivered on all the hype, but was missing some things that fans of the original missed, and some things that make bl2 great now. I think it’s OK and absolutely natural to be hyped and want every bit of information possible. But we should be wary not to get dissapointed if it’s not exactly what we hope for.

2 Likes

I agree. Couch Coop is very important to me. I won’t be able to not be dissapointed if that isn’t included. However, battleborn had couch Coop, unlike other similar games.

4 Likes

Honestly my love for couch co op stems from my childhood playing the Tony Hawk games on my PS2 with my friends and going to sleepovers and getting tons of candy and just kicking it playing games together. That experience and type of enjoyment from games is sorely missing from the gaming landscape of today. Sure online is great but nothing will ever quite stack up to sitting next to a friend and going through an entire game in one night on nothing but soda and some leftover pizza. That’s what Borderlands is for me now, a light at the end of the tunnel, one of the few games that still includes splitscreen play. And I love it for that. I remember about a year ago I got together with a friend I hadn’t seen in 6 years and we decided to go out and buy a cheap PS2 and re live our childhood by playing THUG2. It’s just awesome to think that even though we are very different people than the ones we were and that we have gone our separate ways in life, we can always come back and just play games together like we used to when we were 10 years old. Regardless, I think BL3 will include couch co op and that MANY MANY more games need to do it.

5 Likes

Absolutely this. Many people don’t consider gaming a social experience because gamers are seen as sitting alone in a dark room. We don’t want to sit alone.

1 Like

So very true, nothing can ever quite compare to sitting next to a friend and just bonding over some games

1 Like