Explain how ELO would work

Yesterday I made a rant about losing all the time and giving up, besides the point, if an ELO system is put in, how would it work? Arpad Elo made the system for chess skill, how would ELO determine skill in battleborn?

By K/D ratio?

Wins?

Defeats?

Rank?

Someone explain this to me please.

I’m not sure whether Battleborn has had “ELO” enabled for quite some time…

Back when they did, I’m pretty sure it only took overall wins / losses into account?

I could be waaaay off base, though…

You get a certain number (lets say 1000) at the start. If you get defeated in a match you loose points, if you win you gain “ELO-points”.
The main idea is that you get matched with players close to your ELO-rating.

GBX changed it several times, to allow matchmaking with more players, so the ELO-rating is less tight than before.
(means if you´ve +1000points you can get matched with -500players and +3000players too if MM takes to long. At least its how I remember it.)

K/D and CR-Rank does not count, only wins/losses.

How many points a starter has and how many get sunstracted or gained? I have no clue. The numbers used above are only ment as example.

Although atm I´m not sure if ELO is still active at all, I lost track through all the Battleplans^^`

Jythri explains it in the OP of this topic as well.

1 Like

Unless outcomes are tracked for how each player scores with each character and matchmaking is done after character selection, there can never be accurate matchmaking. There are too many variables.

1 Like

It was mentioned not that long ago and if I remember correctly, it’s always been on. Just set to really, really loose.
Also from what I remember it kind of work like this. (Don’t know exact numbers, but stay with me here!)
Every time you win a match, your ELO goes up a point. When you lose it goes down. All things considered equal.
Team 1 has an ELO of 5000; they join matchmaking.
System looks for a team with an ELO of 4900-5100. And waits a bit. If it finds a match, game time. Else…
System looks for a team with an ELO of 4800-5200. And waits a bit. If it finds a match, game time. Else…
Etc.
But right now I’d gather it looks more like this:
Team 1 has an ELO of 5000; they join matchmaking.
System looks for a team with an ELO of 4500-5500. And waits a bit. If it finds a match, game time. Else…
System looks for a team with an ELO of 4000-6000. And waits a bit. If it finds a match, game time. Else…
5-10 minutes later…
System finds a team with an ELO of 2000 which really has no business playing a team of 5000 but it’s all it can find so it throws them in a game ending in 2 or 3 people uninstalling and 2 more complaining about the “try hard” team they just lost to while 5 other players sat through 10 minutes of waiting followed by 10 minutes of unsatisfying game play against a team they knew they’d steamroll just to rinse and repeat.

That about sums it up!

3 Likes

So effectively, you’re ELO is a product of your W/L (Win-Lose ratio)?

And I take it that it’s universal, and not queue specific. I.e not having a seperate Incursion ELO rank from the combined ELO for Meltdown Finale, Capture and Face-Off.

I know solo/duo has its own ELO. I would assume that bots battle is probably separate as well as that would kind of make sense.

1 Like

solo que had elo when it was introduced, nothing else did at the time. qhether or not solo still has it on its one day is questionable.

the population is too small for very bad players and very good players to essentially never fond a match.

Solo had/has it’s own ELO from day 1. Quick match has always had it on, it’s just been set to a really wide range. (similar to the example I gave.)

That post he made is less than 8 weeks ago. So it’s always been on, just not running as tight as it should in order to bring faster matches.

1 Like