FFYL help needed

Hey guys.
I’ve noticed alot lately that I can be using a gun that is killing enemies in 1-2 mags , but I go in to ffyl and suddenly the same gun can’t kill anything , even after 5-6 mags.
I can understand the difference when using a bee or something , but without it I didn’t think there’d be any difference.

Are there penalties to gun damage when your down?
Are there instances where immolate can have a negative effect?

1 Like

I don’t see anything about negative effects in the wiki entry (scroll down for the BL2 info). All I can think of is that you may have had some perk or kill skill active boosting fire rate or damage that you lost the instant you went into FFYL?

You mention Maya, so I assume you’re playing as her: while Immolate shouldn’t have any negative side effects, going into FFYL interrupts Phaselock. If you have Wreck maxxed out, you would lose a lot of DPS when you lost the fire rate and damage boosts (50% and 30%, respectively, at 5/5).

5 Likes

Immolate is all good! No downsides to it!

But what gets my attention is when you say that you usually kill enemies in 1-2 mags. That sounds like a lot to me (unless you use guns with really small mags). So, I wonder which playthrough you’re on, and also which level you and your guns are on.

If you’re on UVHM, then the difference between shooting enemies that are slagged or not is huge. If the slag wears off while you go down, then it can be tricky to get back up. Especially if the enemy is resistant to fire in some way (i.e robots or fire skags).

5 Likes

Im mostly on OP8 , and I always switch to a slag weapon straight away when I take a knee , fire off a few shots and switch to a damage gun.
I get losing damage from phaselock or kill skills but it seems to extreme.

The thing is , I can see the shots landing but the enemy just takes no damage.
It seems to happen alot lately.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that if you’re using a Moxxi weapon at any point while you are down, such as a Grog to slag or a Heartbreaker, the game will “think” you have health and you’ll lose the benefit of Immolate.

8 Likes

Does reaper affect ffyl damage in any way? I wouldn’t of thought so , ill have to do some testing with different builds , see if I experience it more on certain ones.

1 Like

I kinda wonder if you’re losing time while switching from your slag gun to your kill gun; if you’re spec’d into Scorn you can throw it while in FFYL, which I think may save a half-second or so over gun swapping. Maybe. Or not.

2 Likes

Like I said though , sometimes I can get a couple of mags off , but the enemy bar doesnt budge.

I remember @SomeRandomGuy11 saying something recently about coming across enemies he couldn’t slag or damage , but that wasn’t in ffyl.

I was hoping there was mechanics at play that I didn’t know about , but its not seeming likely.

1 Like

Are there any enemies you see this with more often? Because Nomads, Constructors, and some other enemies have a way to mitigate or eliminate frontal damage, which would be especially prevalent once you’ve taken a knee. Also, if you’re Maya and specced into Immolate, it’s unlikely you don’t have Cloud Kill, and even at OP8 on flesh Cloud Kill will noticeably wear down healthbars. If you’re not seeing these enemies taking this kind of damage, there’s possibly an issue.

2 Likes

I have cloud kill and it happened against run of the mill loaders when I was farming bunker.
And BA varkids in caustic caverns , come to think of it.

1 Like

PWR Loaders, BUL Loaders, ION Loaders and Badass Varkids all have ways of deflecting bullets or stopping them entirely. Could that be at play here?

1 Like

If thats the case a Kerblaster would still work wouldn’t it?
Ill make sure I have one equipped so I can test it.
If its just the case that I’m forgetting about enemies deflecting during my ffyl panic , I’m gonna feel like a right tool! :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

If you shoot a loot midget with an elemental gun, before he has landed on the ground (when he jumps out off the box), you will not be able to slag him. The same thing goes for the Ancient Dragons in TTAoDK. If you shoot them in mid air with an elemental gun, they cannot be slagged when they have landed. Explosive is not elemental, so that works fine.

Airborne marauders that fall out of the Buzzard when you destroy it, or midgets that drop off the shield when you kill the nomad, are other examples of enemies that can’t be slagged if the kill was done with elöemental guns.

3 Likes

I thought they became immune to the element you hit them with…it applies to slag as well, no matter what the element was?

1 Like

There is a similar bug with OMGWTH, if slagged before he has completely spawn, it becomes immune to slag. I don’t know if that would occur with an another elemental type.

2 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

Did not know that part…thanks.

1 Like

That’s some pretty cool info. I never knew this. You should put that in the random info thread.

As for the enemies getting immune to DOT’s; if they “spawn” airborne then applying a DOT or slag to them will remove it when the enemy becomes grounded and make them immune to all DOTs and slag. I regularly forget this and try applying slag on loot midgets while they are airborn and threatless only to end up making them a lot harder to kill.

2 Likes

@MeatPopsicle that’s correct. My Kreig is the toon i was referring to and every 8 to 10 enemies at times just will not take any damage at all, and all i can do is save and quit, and restart to fix the problem and the same thing also happens when it comes to slagging enemies, even large flesh enemies like Orc’s and i can only presume that this problem is “toon” specific to me.

This same toon just doesn’t have a FFYL timer sometimes when you take a knee for a second time, just a death animation. Instant death.

He also has some very weird Bloodsplosion occurrences from the bit of testing i did at Pete’s. This is where my FFYL problem became very apparent. When trying to chain the Bloodsplosion, sometimes the “chain” occurrs, but without the visual explosion and you just see a chain of spiderants dying even though i only attacked one of them. On other times i have spawned both the spiderants and the rats and have had what i think will be a great chain with Pete 2nd or 3rd last from the end in the chain, watched everything explode on the way to Pete, then completely miss Pete somehow only to have the last two rats explode after Pete and Pete himself has taken absolutely no damage at all, not even to his shield as if completely untouched. The next time he just gets shat on with only four spiderants and one stuck in the pipe above, but Bloodsplosion can be a bit crazy anyway.

The point that @Ronnie_Rayburn makes about slag in FFYL life is spot on. This becomes my main priority in FFYL, Scorn with Maya and switching to a slag weapon with other VH’s is my first move, even if they are slaged at the time, because if it wears off it can often be to late to try to re-slag and then switch back again, however it seems your onto this anyway.

I think my toon is just a bit bugged and hope you don’t have a similar problem, but for me it’s an excuse to make a new Meat Man, and keep this one for raids maybe.

There are a lot of great points here and i hope this helps to clarify my problem and you find a fix for yours :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Wow , my problem seems minor compared to yours.
Ill keep plugging away , see if I can figure anything out.
If I do I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes