Final Boss: Lame?

So…after epic fights like Rampager, Traunt Jr. and Graveward - was expecting something spectacular. A planet sized monster? An epic, multiphase thing like BL2?

Nope. A…pretty easy, by the numbers, rather small ‘Destroyer’ that looks like something from Ninja Gaiden.

Anyone else find this a pretty big let-down, especially considering how good the rest of the game was?

Let’s hope we get some truly epic encounters in DLCs, something to give the BL series a worthy send-off.

3 Likes

Yeah, i was also disappointed. Why would Tyreen fuse? I was ready for her to absorb it but not fuse with it. The mechanics were good, though.

But the story, while interesting, was full of wasted potential.

4 Likes

I was expecting a surprise ‘real’ boss, at the scale of the Leviathan from BL2.

Eh. A bit of a damp squib.

4 Likes

Well it could be that destroyer had too much power so instead of just sucking his power she had to fuse with him, never the less the fight indeed was disappointing compared to some others. I kinda wish game would end when they all “died”

2 Likes

I was more annoyed that they had to resort to recycling The Destroyer rather than coming up with something new. But yes, if nothing else, the fight was rather easy. But in hindsight, so was beating The Warrior. In it’s defense, I had a legendary fire pistol and was playing as FL4K with insane critical hits. Pretty light show, though.

1 Like

I thought we’d kill the boss, then the real boss would pop out and we’d have to fight that.

3 Likes

This was disappointing to me, too. I loved the story, but the entire planet was falling apart for that? Like, that tiny thing eats stars? And there was no reason for her to fuse. It all just made no sense.

3 Likes

Some hope for you guys, some of the bosses act very differently in TVHM. Not all of them. Killavolt is still Killavolt, but some of the bosses had completely new attacks in TVHM. I haven’t gotten to the final boss in tvhm, but I’m hoping it’s the same deal there.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s good to know. I’m playing the game through on Moze/Zane/Amara first and then choosing a ‘main’ for TVHM.

1 Like

Did they? I finished TVHM and noticed the same moves and patterns for everything so far.

1 Like

Huh, maybe I just never saw the attacks in normal mode then… But yea I’ve seen 2 bosses with new attacks. I’m not that far in tvhm, so I haven’t had the opportunity to see more than that lol.

Who knows, maybe I just got super lucky in normal mode and never saw these attacks (or maybe you got unlucky in tvhm and killed them too quickly???) , but they were definitely new to me in tvhm cuz I was like HOLY CRAP THEY CHANGED THE BOSSES THAT’S SO AWESOME lmfao

1 Like

The destroyer was also supposed to be planet sized, we see nothing at all, if that’s all the power Tyreen had after leeching it or whatever, what was the threat in the first place? It was weak.

Did the game ever even explain how the destroyer was alive despite it being killed off in TPS?

2 Likes

There’s some definite canon contradictions… clearly Jack and Hyperion had harvested the eye of the Destroyer in TPS, that much is obvious.

However, in BL1 when you defeat the destroyer it retreats back into the Vault… at least on the enhanced version. I think there’s been a little retconning going on because in the original edition of BL, when the Destroyer is defeated, the screen just fades to white and it’s assumed you’ve killed it because of what Angel’s dialog had been implying (“in this reality it can be killed” etc etc), but they changed the cutscene for the enhanced version, clearly showing it retreating back into the Vault (I assume because at this point, the devs knew they would be bringing it back for BL3.)

So… yeah huge plot hole heh.

4 Likes

What makes you think there won’t be more?

Most disappointing thing for me was falling through the map at the end of the cut scene and missing f*ckn loot drop ;(

Why would you miss the loot drop? I also fall through the map, then i die, respawn and go back. :confused:

just kept falling straight after cut scene…quit game came back …no loot… ava, firehawk where standing still but no loot?

My personal disappointment isn’t how easy the fight is, it’s how static it feels in comparison to other fights in BL3. My favorite fight - by far - is the Rampager with it’s 3 distinct forms and interactions with the arena. But Tyreen got nothing of that. The fact that they basically spun the narrative of TPS just for this fight makes me mad as well. I mean, Timothy has posters in BL3, so TPS still happened in the Canon of BL3, but the whole eye of the Destroyer thing doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Either that or what we fought in BL1 was just the mortal shell and the real Destroyer fused with Tyreen.

Tyreen fusing with the Destroyer makes sense as she is just not strong enough to be more than a parasite for the Destroyer, but the fight really was too easy. They should’ve given it mutation like phases where Tyreen gets absorbed more and more and the Destroyer ends up being the dominant being in this twisted body. Let it have tentacle attacks that get you wherever you are, but are avoidable by sliding under/jumping over. Let it jump through the air like a maniac trying to get you. Let it infuse itself with elements to become immune to said element for the time being.

I mean, there could’ve been so much more to do with the Destroyer than what it ended up being.

4 Likes

nope. That tiny thing was part of destroyer. Like in first game.

1 Like

The boss was clearly too easy even tho it looked cool but the most disappointing to me is that i don’t really understand why Tyreen just let herself fall onto the destroyer and merge with him that doesn’t make sense to me (did i miss something ?) .

I mean that’s not how she absorbs powers during the whole game. And yes this is clearly not the full destroyer because the great vault is barely starting to open so there is no way he’s fully out and we wouldn’t be able to beat him. She merged with a part of it but she has control over it, we can still hear her throwing voicelines at us.

Also why is there a “vault of the destroyer” after we beat her, the destroyer is in the great vault so wtf is that “vault of the destroyer”.

If anyone has answers to these questions, i’d like to hear them because this is kinda confusing or maybe its just poorly executed and there are no answers.

I absolutely loved the game but that last scene with tyreen is what bothers me the most

1 Like