First UVHM play through

Is it best to save all side quest until the story mode is completed? If so do I have to accept them or will they all still be available when all story missions are completed? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

All the side missions should be unlocked by the time you finish the story. Personally, I take the side missions that have good rewards or give access the a farmable guy as early as I can as the level of them goes up as yours does. That way you can farm for an on-level legendary whenever it’s needed.

2 Likes

All sidequests will be available, though some are not during the story playthrough if the NPC that gives the quest is not available for that time (until that section of the main story is complete)

You can choose to leave them and pick them up whenever you want (that one exception with NPC’s in the main story quest)

It’s up to you how you wish to tackle the sidequests in terms of saving them versus doing them. You don’t get much character XP for doing sidequests unfortunately.

I find it’s best to leave the sidequests that have good weapons as rewards until you are at a level where you want them…The quests scale with you as enemies scale with you in UVHM, but if you take a quest at level 50, the weapon reward you get from the quest will be L50 even if you are at a much higher level when you finish the quests…maybe the UCP fixed this, but I don’t know…

otherwise, it doesn’t much matter…the Grog Nozzle scales with you, so don’t worry about that one and the Rapier is for the 200% melee damage so level doesn’t much matter…Law is mainly for the 100% melee damage too, but it can actually kill things up to a point, it’s not a bad pistol…

Quests where this might be an issue by weapon reward but you can lookup the quest name on the wikia site, Sandhawk, Pimpernel, Jolly Roger, Law, Order, Orphan Maker, Swordsplosion, Lady Fist, I’m sure I’m leaving out one or two (toss the Fibber & Striker in there if you are a Gaige player), but I’m mainly thinking of top tier-ish (yes I know the Swordplosion and Jolly Roger are in the group just below top tier and it can be argued the Law/Order combo is below that) weapons…

That said, I figure it’s too much a pain to keep it all straight and I wanted some of those weapons for parts of the my UVHM playthrough, so I did a complete reset when I got to OP8 and did everything again on OP8…you can do this at any point, but it resets all DLC’s and the main quest (you keep all character progress and gear of course), not just the one you are on…again, the UCP may have fixed some of these issues if you are on PC…

3 Likes

or just save the missions with rewards worth farming.

3 Likes

Ninja’d - was just about to post that! Note to @TimboSlice - there’s lots of commentary in that same thread linked by @nat_zero_six which you might find helpful. You’ll want to turn in a bunch of side quests for eridium and XP, and there’s a lot you can do safely without worrying that you’re missing out on something.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the advice everyone this really helps.

1 Like

Since this is your first time into UVHM, you may also want to check out this post (and the linked character-specific ones):

2 Likes

It has been a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I have only died once so far. Just beat Wilhelm last night without a hitch. I will have to read up on that discussion it is defiantly getting harder as I go on though. thanks again.

3 Likes

As pretty much everything. Key is in balance. Farmable guys are better unlocked early while some specific mission rewards are better saved and/or done as you need them leveling up.
And remember when selecting a character that have unlocked UVHM you can always restart the story.

3 Likes

If you keep with it and go into UVHM mode, things do get much harder - especially for people new to the game.

As UVHM scales with you, including the missions, depending on your class and play style gives you a choice of doing the missions or just running the story. For this reason I tend to arm myself with the best weapons and gear and do the story alone and earn as little xp as possible, then do the missions after. UVHM is a long grind of XP so it’s nice to have the luxury of doing missions one at a time and then it’s less hassle of gearing up. The key to this is finishing TVHM at level 50-51 so the gear you start UVHM with is has better impact. By the time you get near the Wildlife Preserve things start to toughen up.

Normal mode and TVHM it’s best to take missions to help you keep up to level, and when you learn about the weapons dropped from bosses and missions, you can follow a path through the game trying to grab what you want or to boost your level and get a few extra skill points.

The DLC don’t give you as much xp as you’d think, so it’s possible to grab things like the Pimpernel and Sandhawk (for example) without leveling up, and it’s nice to have them there for other play throughs. Quite often people use the Bee Shield for the high Amp Damage for UVHM, kinda makes it easier whilst running the story as things are often a few levels above you. For this reason you can get to the Forest in Tiny Tina’s and leave it there, so going and farming the Treants is accessible when you feel like a new Bee.

If you have any other questions, just ask, plenty of itchy fingers in the forum :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t always agree that UVHM get harder as you level up. Sure some late missions are harder but as areas level up with you. Earning skill points make a big difference. From level 50 to 72 it’s 22 points added to your skill trees while you’re always fighting ennemies at or slightly over your level.

2 Likes

The rough spot for many players is always 55-60. In that range there aren’t quite enough skill points to compensate for the scaling, After that, things open up dramatically. But you still have to get through that bit first.

3 Likes

Got to the WEP last night and was getting my rear beat down by the rabid stalkers. With every one of them at 60 and I am at 58 right now. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes