Five and Five: A Little Experiment

I’m going to try something out here.

I want to see everyone’s top 5 choices for the things they like/love about the game. The things they think Gearbox got right. The things they want more of. The things that they keep playing the game for. The things that just resonate with them. The things that just hooked them.

I also want to see everyone’s top 5 choices for the thinks they dislike/hate (or least like if you don’t dislike/hate anything) about the game. The thinks you think Gearbox got wrong or think they could have done better. Or maybe just the things that don’t click/resonate with you. For some the things that perhaps make them want to put the game down for a while.

Even better if you can explain in detail for every point. Just post your thoughts, feelings, opinions and such and then leave it at that. No need to discuss other people’s posts. Just share your thoughts and move on after you have explained yourself. We’re not here to debate anything. We’re just here to map out what people like and dislike about the game so that the developers have some more feedback that they can use to help improve their game without having to sort through a lot of heated debates that are just run in endless circles.

I admit this is a bit of an experiment and I don’t know how it is going to work out. There are going to be people who don’t listen and start debating other people’s opinions anyway. A lot of people just want attention and will stir up trouble just to get it. I don’t want that here but I know that it will probably happen anyway. Still, for the rest of you I am hoping that we can let the developers know what we as individuals feel is working and what isn’t working so they know where they may need to focus their efforts in the future. Some things are going to be obvious, but it doesn’t hurt to add them anyway.

The results of this experiment may be entirely predictable or we may get a few surprising results. I just wanted to try something out and see what comes of it. I’ll add my own thoughts to this later after I’ve given it some more thought but I wanted to get the ball rolling, so have at.

5 Likes

Not necessarily my top 5, but first 5 things I think of that I like:

1. I love the KO graphic in PvP. The big explosion just feels so satisfying when I get a kill compared to games like COD or Overwatch where kills are much more subtle. Love seeing it pop up in the top left of my screen.

2. Character variety and depth are great. I’ve put 100 hours into this game and only have 5 characters over level 10, with over half still 5 or lower. This game is going to last me a while at this rate.

3. Another small thing but I like that each Battleborn has one audio file lore. I’m sure it wasn’t cheap for voice acting but getting to hear the character speak for an extended period just adds to my appreciation and immersion as them.

4. Also along the line of dialogue, I enjoy the character specific lines between certain Battleborn with lore connections. Hearing Alani fan girl over Gal is a nice touch to my experience

5. The different FP views for different characters. I know some people hate looking through Kelvin’s mouth or seeing Attikus’s horns but it makes playing as them feel even more unique than their playstyles.

First 5 things I can think of that I don’t like:

1. Legendary drop rates + nerfs. It’s just disheartening to spend so much time hunting for legendaries with their abysmal drop rates only to see them get destroyed in nerf and become nothing like what I spent my time hunting for. I’ve still yet to get a Chrono Key but the 500 to 2000 change has made me feel bad about the time I spent looking for it. It makes me afraid to try to get any of the good legendaries for fear it’ll become relatively useless as soon as I get it. RIP Voxis Core, only good legendary I had.

2. Repeat taunt/skin comp. I don’t feel 500 coins at all replaces a new skin or taunt. I would personally much rather see it be impossible to get repeats, and then the coins come in once the possible pool is exhausted. Spending 1900 on a pack only to get 500 back doesn’t feel good when there’s more taunts and skins out there.

3. Maxed out stagnation. I know this has been addressed extensively already but some sort of conversion of EXP to credits once you max out at least Command Rank but maybe Character Rank too. I like progress, even if it’s an illusion.

4. Character Rank being almost entirely linked to Time Played as opposed to success as the character. At level 12 plus, once all lore is completed, it can take 4+ hours of in game time just to level up once. It feels unnatural that whether I go 15-2-11 or 0-14-3 I get the same XP. Am I wrong on this? Is there something I’m missing? If not, I’d like to see challenges like Battlebest award Character XP not Command XP or something, idk.

5. This last one isn’t really something I think can be changed, but it still irks me. I hate failing a Story Mission right near the end. It just kills my entire mood when I’m 40 minutes into an advanced run and something silly happens and I lose. To me, the entire point of the run is almost 100% trying to get a legendary drop from the final boss, and wasting 40 minutes only to lose that chance just makes me want to stop for a while. Like I said, no suggestion here. Just that long Mission times make failure hurt even more.

2 Likes

5 Things I like

1. The characters and lore. Great style and variety, not cookie cutter and keeps me wanting to dive deeper.

2. The slower pace. I like how there are no real one hit kills (ok, maybe spin to win) and you can strategize and work together as a team, even with randoms when they know their characters.

3. PVE and PVP all in one place. I enjoy both modes and appreciate the story more now than when I first started as you keep hearing different characters commenting different things during the run throughs

4. The helixes - being able to play the same characters in different ways is satsifying.

5. The Forums - first forums I’ve read and contributed to in many a year and I’ve been gaming for 35 years

5 things I don’t like

1. The negativity and entitlement some players feel, mainly learned through these boards. They want it their way, now, and mainly come off as whiny and self entitled.

2. The level cap at 100 - would be good to just do the Prestige thing and start over with a bronze bordered banner, then a silver, then a gold etc. Wouldn’t really affect gameplay and you would still keep getting loot packs and your xp.

3. The disconnects - frustrating when players leave when they don’t get their character or just give up 2 minutes into a match. Bots are not the answer but I don’t have a solution.

4. The music - wait, what? Actually, the music is awesome, I wish there was more of it - during character selection for PVP and before the match would be good. Too silent.

5. Some of the lore challenges are a little too luck based.

Overall, I game quite a bit but I’ve been jumpy the last couple of years and haven’t really sunk into anything for very long. This game has sucked me right in (says 7 days played on Xbox) - I just want it to get better and grow.

3 Likes

Good:

1. Private Co-op.
  2. The wonderful writing and voice acting.
  3. The great variation of characters.
  4. The variable combinations of helix choices and the low percentage of choices that aren’t usable.
  5. The fact white and green gear has use and are no longer a joke.

Bad:

1. People who begged for something new and are now attempting to whine BB back into something they’ve played before.
  2. No offline mode.
  3. Platinum currency and the apparently arbitrary value assigned to what you can buy with it. The market should assign value, not some greedy beancounter behind a desk. I mean really? Let’s charge this much in England, this much in the US, this much in Europe and this much in Australia, with NO direct mathematical conversion. Oh, and make sure nothing comes out even so they have to either buy more or let us keep the change. The kid selling lemonade down the street knows this is unethical, so do you, GBX, 2K, and Take2!
  4. The imbalance of nerfs to buffs.
  5. The poor implementation of just about everything to do with marketing this game.
4 Likes

Like:

Character variety

Depth

In-match progression system

Lore

Vocal interaction between characters in game

Don’t Like:

Legendary drop rate

How incursion maps are single lane

GBX’s heavy handed nerfs

No ranked yet

Skins are color swaps and not model changes

I’m not sure I could choose a ‘top 5’, but I’ll choose 5 things for each anyway…

5 things I like (no particular order):

1. Co-op -
    including this function is very important in this household…
    Why play alone (or just with random people), when you can sit in the same room as someone and have a good Ol’ giggle and make some memories while we are at it.

2. I’m not sure how to write this one… But the main display screen? -
    I like the way the colours pop, it’s very eye catching, and if I feel like I’m going to have a colourful fun time, before I’m already in the game (where you select mission, match, see your character standing there, etc)…
    that just makes me happy.

3. Variety of characters -
    from the way they look, to their dialogue/chemistry, to how they function, I think there’s a good balance of whom I want to play, whom I might play, and also whom I wouldn’t consider playing.

4. Titles -
    I really like this, earning/unlocking these is really enjoyable to me, gives me something to constantly work towards…
    I like their little logos, and it allows me to identify whom other players enjoy being.

5. Rewards, for lack of a better wording -
    I like to earn credits to unlock things, and I like gear and loot packs, I wanna feel rewarded with more than just a level up for my grinding…
    and I feel I get rewarded pretty fairly, it’s not just pure grind for only a tiny something something, I get quite a lot I think.

Now 5 things I don’t like (in no particular order):

1. The layout for co-op -
    it’s awful, been said on this forum many times…
    The way it’s split, from the wasted space with the mini map, to the impossible to read anything, and can’t see challenges, and just… No!

2. Queue times (PvE/PvP) -
    it takes a long time. I want quick turn around, not 30 mins wait for a 5 minute match or possibly lost mission. Needs to be quick quick quick…
    I don’t know if this is server related, region related (which you can’t change on console), or something else.

3. Graphical noise -
    there’s too much going on when everyone has their ults going in one small space, etc…
    because I’m literally looking through the eyes of the character, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with everything…
    don’t get me wrong, I love to see how much damage im doing, and pops of colour here and there… But some things take up a lot of on screen space at one time.

4. No difference in opponents colour of ult/skill -
    I can’t tell if that’s a friendly blight on the ground from my team Thorn, or an unfriendly blight from an enemy Thorn, for example.
    The graphical noise above is overwhelming enough, yet alone not being able to tell whom it’s coming from in a match…
    I’d like a bit of colour separation in this regards, would be helpful overall I think.

5. No sharing primary console ‘paid for’ contents -
    This is a big one that bugs me…
    That while in the past on console (PS4 for me), I could buy something in my PlayStation store for a game (be it borderlands), like a set of exclusive skins or a season pass of DLC, and each account on my primary console (so myself, my co-op player) would recieve the same benefits for the one price…
    Now with Battleborn, we have to buy two of everything, no sharing amongst the primary console for some reason?
    Not even the in box redemption codes for exclusive golden skins were shared amongst all console players, would need to buy a whole other physical copy just to recieve another in box code to unlock for someone else - not cool…
    and it’s not an ‘online game’ thing either, otherwise Overwatch wouldn’t allow it too, and it lets you share content, their in box redemption code for an exclusive skin, shared amongst all console users. Battleborn did not…
    No money grubbing please, encourage households to play together, putting an extra dent in someone’s wallet, can also put a dent in the hearts of players when they have to be choosey about the overall ‘cost’ (emotionally, financially, etc).

2 Likes

I like how every character has something to say in all situations. Seeing an enemy, killing an enemy, using a skill, dying, being on a kill spree.

I like the base idea behind the Helix system and the mutations, even though many choices there are not at all useful.

I like the zero-price white gear. It was a great idea to balance the negatives with no activation price.

I like Temples. It’s the best PvP map in my opinion, followed closely by Paradise.

I like visiting these forums and Discord, but with the latter there aren’t as many people as a few weeks ago.

I don’t like the story of the game. There is no real plot, no connection between missions and no sense of epicness (the Universe is ending, why doesn’t the game give it more focus? I want goosebumps, not a pat on the back).

I don’t like how I wrote a lengthy post in battleplan 6, got 3rd most likes in whole Gearbox forums, and it was completely ignored. I still don’t know whether to hope for some things, or to just shut up about them.

I don’t like the legendary gear. In fact, I’ve never used it in PvP, because it’s so expensive! I can build two turrets and a minion, and will still have enough shards to activate green or blue gear that is one or two percent weaker than a 1800-shard legendary. I don’t understand why they’re so expensive when they have such small effect on stats.

I don’t like Rath’s spin-to-win and hate how they still haven’t changed it to something more balanced.

I don’t like the little things that accumulate the more you look. Inconsistent keybindings, inability to heal right after reloading, minimap showing outside of its circle, etc.

2 Likes

Not really top 5, I don’t think I can put these into any particular order.
I have so many likes that I’ll probably just write what comes to my mind first!

1. CHARACTERS :ok_hand: Definitely Gearboxes strength.
  2. Calds Ult. Man it makes me feel badass.
  3. Art Style!! The game looks so good!
  4. Dialogue - I know GBX writing doesn’t click with everyone but I really like it. I love all of the Battleborns interactions with Wolf… Poor Wolf :frowning:
  5. Very highly addicting and fun PvP - this can be seen as both a like or a dislike, though… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I can’t stop playing!
    Bonus: Alt-J Fitzpleasure. Love this song, thanks for (again) introducing me to great music, Gearbox!

Dislikes (I won’t go very in depth with these, because while I don’t have that many gripes, I have a lot to say about them)

1. AI. - I wasn’t expecting anything mind blowingly advanced, but at least something more fleshed out. Especially with the Battleborn Bots.
  2. PvE - There are many things that I don’t like about it. GBX is one of the masters of fun PvE shooters but BB PvE just really doesn’t manage to entertain me.
  3. Collisions - I can’t come up with many games that had collisions this cumbersome. Even jumping up to the sniper perch in Overgrowth is a struggle. I keep getting stuck on stuff. They have improved some of the toe traps but they shouldn’t have been this bad.
  4. Gear Screen - I can’t believe the same problem that existed in Borderlands is still a problem. When I click on a piece of gear I want to select that specific piece of gear, not some random other piece of gear at the top of the list. Seriously. Stop this. I have a lot to say about the UI but this is my main gripe. Really, why is this still happening?
  5. Input Queuing and general responsiveness of controls. When I switch between my primary and secondary, I shouldn’t have to release the other button completely. It’s cumbersome and annoying.

I’m going to go to sleep now since I’m tired, sorry about my Night Time Rambling™

1 Like

Five 5 Things I Like

1.) Goal Oriented PvP modes with long TTK in an FPS
I’m an old gamer and this is the very first FPS competitive game I have had any interest in playing. I love that you can have a 0-2 kill match and still be the most important player on your team in a victory. So kudos to the devs in getting the spirit of their PvP mode right. I am absolutely having a blast in PvP in BB, and that is something I never expected would happen.

2.) PVE & PVP Modes Combined with PVE not being an 'after-thought’
I’m a PVE gamer. I didn’t have any plans on playing the PvP, but the PvP is such a blast that I’m enjoying that too. I wouldn’t have been able to get some friends to buy the game if there wasn’t a lot to do on the PVE side.
I love, love, love the random challenges that you get through-out the PVE mission, and really enjoy the different dialogue which takes place through-out multiple mission replays.
I understand that the PVE isn’t for everyone, and I do think that PVE solo is a bit too hard for the casual gamer (though I do just fine), so there are things to still work out. But I appreciate the time and work they have put into the PVE, and I look forward to the additional content which will be coming out via Season Pass.

3.) Unique Characters/Different Play-Styles
I really feel that there is, at the very least, one, if not quite a few more, characters to suit any particular gamer. I think they have done a great job at keeping the characters unique, and setting up a wide range of kits to fit pretty much any player’s preferred gamestyle.
I also appreciate the fact that you can excel with one type of character in PVP while excelling in a completely different type of character in PVE.

4.) Command Ranks/Character Ranks/Lore/Titles - I.E. Progression
I love progression. I love putting time into something and seeing a tangible reward at the end of it.
It’s fantastic to get to a particular command rank and then unlock that character you were wanting.
It’s so much fun to unlock a character mutation, and then whine about it not being any good, or choose it next play-through to see if it can help you, or to use it to finally allow you to change a character’s play-style.
And I really like having the lore challenges.
I especially appreciate well-thought-out lore challenges which helps a player learn how to better play their characters. A specific one which I think truly captures the spirit of the lore challenge is the Orendi lore which asks you to push-back targets into your shadow-fire pillar. That is a fantastic challenge which helps the player learn how to better utilize their character’s kit. I wish more lore challenges were like that, but though there are some problems with some lore challenges, overall I think it is a great addition to the game.
I know there is no Prestige mode available at the moment…but I am certain they will implement something, because it is something that is desparately needed for this game…so I’m going to pre-emptively say that I love the fact that at some point they will implement something to cater to those stuck on Command Rank 100 or Character Rank 15.

5.) Gear, Gear, and more Gear
I love the fact that there is gear in this game. I also appreciate that it is intended to be a helpful tool to aid a player, rather than being the ‘ultra-tier-god-mode’ aspect which determines who wins and who loses.
I love the implementation of gear into the game where shards are the price for them. This was absolutely brilliant and what is so great about the implementation is that common/green gear can absolutely be the very best choice for a particular character in a particular mode, rather than everyone just going after legendaries. Coming from BLs, (and having grinded a good amount of legendary gear in BB) I love that my PvP loadouts are more based around ‘perfect’ common/uncommon gear than legendaries. It’s just refreshing to see that any rarity can be a valuable addition to a load-out based on the specifics of the situation.
I also like the fact that I can farm legendary gear from the story missions.

Five Things I Don’t Like

1.) PvP: A solo-queuer like myself against pre-made teams
From a PvP perspective the only thing I really don’t like is getting obliterated by a pre-made group. I completely understand that if I don’t join up in a group I have no-one to blame but myself. But since I don’t have any gaming friends who play PvP, and since I’m not the most social of people, it can be a bit difficult.
I hate solo-queing into a team and hoping that their will be a pre-made of 3 people or something on my team, since I know that it will greatly reduce my chances of getting killed in a game. (I don’t mind losing, just hate complete obliteration)
I also know that there isn’t anything that Gearbox can do to address this, at this time. Forcing pre-mades of a certain number to be paired up with similar number pre-mades would negatively impact the queue times, so as much as I’d love to have a solo-only queue set-up, it’s not realistic given the numbers currently playing. Perhaps in a couple of years there will be enough players, but for now, it’s just something I have to deal with.
I do mention it here though, specifically because it’s what I most dislike about playing PvP…that I never know when I’m going to run into 3+ straight matches of solo-queue vs. pre-made…and never even have a chance to compete.

2.) PvP ‘Scoring’ system
I really, really dislike the ‘Scoring’ used for PvP matches. It makes zero sense for an objective-based game to then be scored based on Kills/Assists. None whatsoever.
I firmly believe that this scoring lends itself to having players play death match rather than the modes objective. I especially notice this when a team is losing. At that point, if people figure they are going to lose the match, they then figure that at least they can try and get a good score and start working for kills even more so, rather than still attempting to work the objective. All-in-all it is poorly conceived and needs to be fixed.
If someone has the most kills/assists, but no shards, minions, thralls, objectives, while also having the most deaths…and your team loses…that person should have the lowest score on the team, not the best…because it just encourages poor decision-making.

3.) PvP Only Lore Challenges
As I mentioned, I’ve mostly been a PVE player, and the friends I got to play the game only play PVE. Now I have personally branched out into PvP and find it a lot of fun. But none of my other friends will ever do it. So it’s frustrating hearing them complain about PvP only lore challenges which they can’t complete because they won’t ever touch PvP.
And I hear about this every single time I play Co-Op PVE with them…and ultimately I’m hoping that it doesn’t become such a large focus of frustration that they lose interest in the game.
I keep telling them that this issue is being looked at, so I really hope that some sort of fix is put into place. (Either by changing the challenge, or allowing some sort of completion via private PvP games)

4.) PVE Failure: Challenges and Missions
As mentioned in the things I love…I love the Random Mission challenges. However, I hate being given a challenge which cannot be completed. Archive in particular is chalk full of them. (i.e. Collect 1000 shards…when you’ve already collected all of the shards, or kill X number of enemies…when you’ve already killed a few…and there are not enough left)
I also dislike the Object Mission Failure set-up. If you lose an objective (say Sabotuer 3rd objective or Chronicle) you should lose a certain amount of lives, and then respawn at the last respawn area to re-do the objective. If you don’t have enough lives you lose the mission. That way you have a chance to recover and not lose the time put into the match. Number of lives can be equal to the number in the party…or twice the number of people in the party for smaller groups, ect. Just allow lives to be consumed to keep the mission active if an objective is failed.

5.) Inability to Farm Bosses
Pretty nick-picky…but I do wish I could just farm Mission Bosses for gear, rather than having to play the whole mission. Now, I can get through most missions in about 25-30 minutes (except for Heliophage) while playing solo, so it’s not horrible…but after having killed Pete/Hyperius/Terra/Vorac/Dragons/Bunker 100,000,000 times, it would just be refreshing to be able to do something like that in BB.

2 Likes

Things I like:

1. Depth of Gameplay
    The Fps Moba is a very interesting idea and they pull it off relatively well with a big roster, real choices, and lots of flexibility for team comps. The core of the game is really, really good and it’s what keeps me interested.

2. Amount of Different Characters
    There is quite a bit of choice for how you want to play and most of them feel completely different from one another.

3. Some of the Writing
    Quite a bit of the humor is pretty canned and underpar from Borderlands 2 but some of it is really quite good. I remember the first time encountering Geoff/Arachnis and it was very funny/memorable. There was quite a few moments in the storyline that legitimately had me laughing.

4. Visual Display
    Although I agree some of the colours firing at the screen get intense sometimes in general I like how the game looks. Bright colours and cartoony atmosphere work here.

5. Two ways to play
    I like the idea that there is a fairly real campaign coupled with the multiplayer and both are meant to be replayed. This helps the game appeal to a wider audience which would theoretically boost it’s population.

Things I don’t like

1. They are going for a “I’m an evil money grubbing company vibe” which makes me uncomfortable.
    I’m a big fan of gearbox and love the borderlands games. It may just be 2k busting their balls behind the scenes but there are a lot of garbage systems they are implementing that are NOT CONSUMER FRIENDLY. Lets start with FUNBUX or platinum or whatever they call it. If you want to sell skins on the DL, that’s cool, I don’t mind. Just charge a real amount of money instead of using a garbage system to overcharge for skins and attempt to squeeze more out of the playerbase. This kind of thing is acceptable in Free to Play games because they literally can’t make money otherwise… but you charged people for your game so this is frankly unacceptable.
    Another anti-consumer thing they did was announce that all relevant multiplayer DLC is going to be free for everyone who purchased the game and then hid it behind a Free to Play currency style wall. Not just that, but it’s absurdly high for the first and I imagine the following characters. I have 35 hours in and I’m only about 30k ish currency so it seems like you need to go without EVER spending currency in order to obtain them. This means as someone who bought the game I’d need to sink somewhere in the order of 225 hours or so to get the cast of 5 and do so without bank expansions, buying packs, hunting for skins, etc. This sort of behaviour is fine for a Free to Play game because it’s the only way they make money, but you guys charged for it so this sort of crap is unacceptable. To be honest if it was announced that this was the way you would have done it I probably wouldn’t have bought battleborn.
    There are a bunch of other things but I’ll leave this point at that for now.

2. Everything is locked
    I don’t know why they felt they have to lock everything behind a rediculous time sink. You have a huge roster of characters and most of them you can’t play right away, and more take hours and hours to unlock. I’m 35 hours in and I still don’t have deande or ghalt unlocked because you have to silver every story mission which is hella time consuming when all I’d rather do is play PVP. I am no stranger to unlocking things in games but this was a terrible way to do it. If you want people riding the progression high just do it with skins, achievements, and loot. Not locking the important content away. Not to mention there are legendary pieces of gear that require you to complete their long grind of a lore challenge and don’t drop naturally (as far as I know).

3. Radio Silence
    I really enjoy Devs that are open and discuss real things with the community. I also understand that timelines can shift and adjust or get canned completely. Instead of being afraid of announcing anything just don’t give timeframes. Say we are working on X Y and Z and we are looking into 3 other things. That is significantly better than just “we can’t talk about anything because people get upset sometimes”. Now is even more important because of how the PC version is doing at the moment so if you have some saving graces coming down the pipeline you need to show everyone you are patching the holes in the ship instead of making more.

4. Lack of Advertising
    This one is a dead horse but hell just host fan made crap on youtube, promote twitch streamers, whatever. A ton of people want to be internet famous and with low amounts of effort and excited people in the community the game can grow itself. Hype is hype so if you can beat the cold blizzard juggernaut make a smaller, more involved community that feels like home.

5. Story mode
    After going through the missions I felt that it felt flat after a while. I remember the first two missions were memorable, the one where you fight the Eldrid Guardian, and the one with the burning forest. The rest of them felt like all you did was run up to an area, trigger several wave fights, clear them and repeat until you fight the final boss. I get there is only so much you can do but some of the levels felt varied and interesting and others were repetitive and bland. I was excited to do story at the beginning and half way through I was doing it like a chore.

1 Like

I can only think of 4 for each.

1. The writing. I am still hearing new lines all the time and I love the humor of the game. This is what drew me to the game and keeps me here.

2. Character diversity. In a game where you can only do so many things in first person, the characters are all diverse and interesting.

3. The controls. I actually really like the controls. They work very well for the style of game and for the most part feels responsive.

4. Level design. I really enjoy the themes and design of all the levels, as well as the different boss fights and mission types. I hope we can see more story mode missions types or something like an endless defense mode.

Dislikes:

1. There are a lot of helix choices where there really isn’t a choice. Some choices are good for certain situations but there are other choices where you are just making your character worse or the choice doesn’t help you nearly as much.

2. Lack of item viability. A lot of items are not worth using either because the effect does not last long enough afterward or it doesn’t trigger frequently enough. It would be cool if there were shorter, harder to accomplish triggers that gave larger boosts to stats for some amount of time. There are also a number of legendaries that are just not that helpful, especially the Lore Legendaries you can earn.

3. Challenges. Many of the challenges are dependent on chance and hoping the other team picks the right character. Or they are significantly harder or take longer than other challenges. I finished Orendi by the time she was rank 5 but I finished Toby after he was 15.

4. Abrupt ending of progression. You hit 100 and that’s it. Many of the challenges that award Command XP will never be unlocked before you get to 100 anyway. It would be nice if the continued experience I earned went to something though at this point, I would be disappointed if I missed out on stuff I could have gotten by completing challenges since I’ve done so many already.

3 Likes

5 Things I Like:

1)[quote=“elle_tee, post:7, topic:1521190”]
Co-op - including this function is very important in this household…Why play alone (or just with random people), when you can sit in the same room as someone and have a good Ol’ giggle and make some memories while we are at it.
[/quote]

2)[quote=“Tokesy97, post:3, topic:1521190”]
The first game with heavy influence on PvP I’ve really enjoyed.
[/quote]

3)[quote=“uncia03, post:10, topic:1521190”]
Unique Characters/Different Play-Styles
I really feel that there is, at the very least, one, if not quite a few more, characters to suit any particular gamer. I think they have done a great job at keeping the characters unique, and setting up a wide range of kits to fit pretty much any player’s preferred gamestyle.I also appreciate the fact that you can excel with one type of character in PVP while excelling in a completely different type of character in PVE.
[/quote]

4)[quote=“uncia03, post:10, topic:1521190”]
Command Ranks/Character Ranks/Lore/Titles - I.E. Progression
I love progression. I love putting time into something and seeing a tangible reward at the end of it.It’s fantastic to get to a particular command rank and then unlock that character you were wanting.It’s so much fun to unlock a character mutation, and then whine about it not being any good, or choose it next play-through to see if it can help you, or to use it to finally allow you to change a character’s play-style.And I really like having the lore challenges. I especially appreciate well-thought-out lore challenges which helps a player learn how to better play their characters. A specific one which I think truly captures the spirit of the lore challenge is the Orendi lore which asks you to push-back targets into your shadow-fire pillar. That is a fantastic challenge which helps the player learn how to better utilize their character’s kit. I wish more lore challenges were like that, but though there are some problems with some lore challenges, overall I think it is a great addition to the game.I know there is no Prestige mode available at the moment…but I am certain they will implement something, because it is something that is desparately needed for this game…so I’m going to pre-emptively say that I love the fact that at some point they will implement something to cater to those stuck on Command Rank 100 or Character Rank 15.
[/quote]

5)[quote=“damiensrealm, post:11, topic:1521190”]
Visual Display
Although I agree some of the colours firing at the screen get intense sometimes in general I like how the game looks. Bright colours and cartoony atmosphere work here.
[/quote]

5 Things I Do Not Like:

1)[quote=“uncia03, post:10, topic:1521190”]
I really, really dislike the ‘Scoring’ used for PvP matches. It makes zero sense for an objective-based game to then be scored based on Kills/Assists. None whatsoever.I firmly believe that this scoring lends itself to having players play death match rather than the modes objective. I especially notice this when a team is losing. At that point, if people figure they are going to lose the match, they then figure that at least they can try and get a good score and start working for kills even more so, rather than still attempting to work the objective. All-in-all it is poorly conceived and needs to be fixed.If someone has the most kills/assists, but no shards, minions, thralls, objectives, while also having the most deaths…and your team loses…that person should have the lowest score on the team, not the best…because it just encourages poor decision-making.
[/quote]

2)[quote=“reliikki, post:9, topic:1521190”]
Collisions - I can’t come up with many games that had collisions this cumbersome. Even jumping up to the sniper perch in Overgrowth is a struggle. I keep getting stuck on stuff. They have improved some of the toe traps but they shouldn’t have been this bad.
[/quote]

3)[quote=“reliikki, post:9, topic:1521190”]
AI. - I wasn’t expecting anything mind blowingly advanced, but at least something more fleshed out. Especially with the Battleborn Bots.
[/quote]

4)[quote=“elle_tee, post:7, topic:1521190”]
No sharing primary console ‘paid for’ contents - That while in the past on console (PS4 for me), I could buy something in my PlayStation store for a game (be it borderlands), like a set of exclusive skins or a season pass of DLC, and each account on my primary console (so myself, my co-op player) would recieve the same benefits for the one price…Now with Battleborn, we have to buy two of everything, no sharing amongst the primary console for some reason?
[/quote]

5)[quote=“elle_tee, post:7, topic:1521190”]
The layout for co-op - it’s awful, been said on this forum many times…The way it’s split, from the wasted space with the mini map, to the impossible to read anything, and can’t see challenges, and just… No!
[/quote]

Why spend time typing something when I can just quote others with the same sentiments? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Note these are not in any particular order I just listed them as I thought of them.

Good:

1. Extremely interesting and unique characters that become even cooler once you start unlocking their lore and backstory especially their inter-character relationships
  2. Borderlands-style humour and character interactions that make both PvP and PvE re-playable even when you are farming for legendaries etc
  3. PvP modes where it actually doesn’t feel like you are walking out into a 1-shot-headshot shooting range and encourages being more tactical as opposed to simply being the quickest person to line up a headshot to win. This here is a really big deal to me and is why I have always preferred PvE over PvP in other multiplayer games such as Destiny. But Battleborn does it in a way where even losing doesn’t always have to feel bad since you are still gaining XP/Credits and stuff regardless of the final score, and most importantly, having fun while doing so.
  4. Having a weekly Battleplan (along with constant interaction on the forums) to track ongoing changes to the game. It is also awesome it happens to fall on the same day as the Bungie Update as that’s 2 game updates I get to read in one day!!
  5. Being able to load up a private PvE game when I get tired of playing with randoms / low number of people matchmaking or just want to spend an hour casually running through a story mission. This is also I feel the best way to new a learn character rather than just jumping head first into PvP with no idea.

Bad:

1. No prestige options once your characters reach Rank 15 and/or you hit Command Rank 100. (We all know they are coming though)
  2. Rate of credits earned does not match the quality of drops from Loot Packs. Ideally I would like to be opening at least 3 or 4 of these in one sitting without spending hours collecting enough credits. Drop rates are fine (stuff is supposed to be very rare), but players should be given more opportunities to earn these rewards so it doesn’t end up feeling like what you got is significantly less than the time and effort you put in. (Improvements to #1 will probably alleviate some of this)
  3. Better visual feedback with gear perks during matches/missions. Similar to how Borderalnds 2 displayed all your skills with timers at the bottom of the screen. Knowing when a perk is active or what stack a particular skill is on (I feel) would result in better players.
  4. Allow a friend to join you mid-match instead of having to quit or waiting until you finish. (When you have a very small number of friends playing the same game as you, you really don’t want to deny them from playing any more than necessary)
  5. More support for fans with coding experience so we can create more apps to give back to the community.
3 Likes

1. Deande’s butt
  2. Ambras’s butt
  3. Phoebe’s butt
  4. Alani’s butt
  5. Thorn’s butt
    Dislikes:
  6. Kleese’s butt
    2 )Montana’s butt
  7. Shayne’s butt
    4)Isic’s butt
    5)Attikus’s butt
2 Likes

P.S. This Empress Lenore character better have some butt. :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Good

1. Original Character Design. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to soar majestically of the battlefield as Benedict, or thrash into a mob of Thralls as Rath. But I digress.
  2. The GBX humor (dialog and voice-acting). So quotable, so funny. ISIC-wow I still laugh over his voice.
  3. The Co-op community. I have met some great people and played some great matches.
  4. The Game Design itself. This was a great game. It was just fun as crap to play.
  5. This one is tough but how you can play the same character so many different ways (or at least you used to).

Bad

1. The consistent dumbing down of characters. When most of these characters were introduced they were mutli-faceted. Now after the nerfs, most of very standard archetypes. If it continues soon all all the characters will be reduced to their most rudimentary forms (a melee, a healer, a tank, etc).
  2. The gear. At least in the beginning some of the gear was something to strive for. Now, not so much. I just buy random common packs now in hopes of getting a 0-cost item. Everything else is like the Epic butter knife of better bread buttering. Greens cost too much and do too little. Blues are too expensive for their conditional benefits. Purples can be nice but cost too much to activate. I won’t talk about Legendaries. These are basically useless.
  3. Anything to do PVE once you CL100. I can level up other characters but once I hit level 15, its just wasted XP and crappy loot.
  4. Lore that requires PVP. I don’t like PVP. I am told but many on the forum that PVP is the main focus of the game; however, the game’s tagline is “The hero-shooter for every kind of badass!”. So maybe PVE has a place too?
  5. Quitters, AFKers, game leavers. I don’t mind if you go. Hell I live in a part of the world with bad thunderstorms, stuff happens. But it’s really annoying when you wait for a long time for a match, only to have everyone leave because (and I had someone say this) “We were just here for the lore so…sorry we are leaving”. Just wow.
2 Likes

Aught I’ll bite lets see.

The Good.

1. The Roster. GbX met and crushed my expectations for a roster of colorful unique and fun characters. Being a Borderlands fan for years I had to expect this of them and they nailed it.

2. The Voice acting: Again I had high expectations and GBX crushed em. assembling a solid voice cast and using their now trademark tongue in cheek comedy.

3. The PvP. Now I’m not gonna sugar coat this, it;s a double edged sword for me. Wgen it;s bad, IT;S BAD. but when it’s good. when you find that right team and opposing players and that meltdown timer starts it works and works well. Matches can get intense, crazy and frantic as the tide swings back and forth.

4. Kleese. My friends know I’m a Emperor Palpatine nerd, I love me some evil old bastards and anti heroes and when I saw Kleese, My initial thought was. " Hold up. A crockety old bugger in a tech battle chair? Did I die and have Gearbox give me my biggest dream? I mean he fliats on the chair…no walking? I mean the tiny penguin in a mech is freaking sick but this? YES"

5. The Helix and Level options: I had a lot of doubt that this would work well enough. I was wrong, it works and I love how every match is fresh and I can instantly switch up my style of play just by picking a different helix option.

The Bad.

1. The online: I said double edcged sword. Wghen it’s bad…It;s soul crushing and makes me want to trade the game in. Be it a whiny trash talker, being stuck with a KDM team in Meltdown, having to cope with a AfK nightmare or people who disconnect if they don;t get the map they want or character they want…Ugh.

2. The Doomsayers. DRIVE ME NUTS. Play the game, enjoy the game and if it dies welp ok. But stop comming here daily and screaming from the top of the mountain that the games dying and all hope is lost. Just. STOP.

3. The Marketing: GBX your great but here you screwed a pooch. Why on earth would you drop this game a few weeks before Overwatch and now market it properly? WHY GBX. The ball was dropped and stepped on by godzilla. should have either bumped the release up or pushed it back away from overwatch and spend some more time doing some actual marketing. The games now a arena hero shooter it;s a FPS MOBA come on.

4. Loot. I’m sorry but why do we not get loot in PvP? and why does the credit cap earned not match up to the cost of loot pack costs? It’s turned me off Loot entirely. I don’t bother with it. I use my basic good purple and freen gear and most games only activate it after our base is set up and hardened.

5. The splitscreen. God in heaven above. GBX what possessed you to not use the tried and true Borderlands style? whoever told you this model was a good and better idea. Slap them. Seriously. Slap em. It’s horrid! I;d play this game soo much more if a buddy and I could couch co-op and jump online.

1 Like

phew, I started reading the first reply and I realized that it was going to skew my thinking, so I had to stop, lol.

5 Likes

• Characters
  • Rich variety of characters and personalities. From Montana to Reyna to Boldur.
  • The dialogue: When it’s good, it’s good (more on that in dislikes)
  • I just like the way they look (gonna double dip this point a bit)
  • Appearance
  • I love the art style of the game. With so many companies going super polished and “realistic”, I love the cartoon aspect.
  • The effects and animations are loud and colorful, a welcome change from games that apply the “50 shades of gray” art style.
  • I really like how the characters look.
  • Game Modes
  • I like that there are 3 different game modes, that each apply different strengths and weaknesses (and game times!)
  • I really like Meltdown…
  • I like that (barring surrenders), I know how long a match is going to be. And that the time is going to be less than 30 minutes
  • The game HAS a story
  • With games putting less and less emphasis on Story mode, GBX could have left it out, entirely (and would have probably received less flak for doing so). They went for it.
  • The missions that aren’t (protect the flimsy thing) are really fun.
  • GBX Listens to us on the forums.
  • We said we wanted a replayable prologue. It was up that day. They’re listening and they want to listen. Don’t punish them for it.
  • We didn’t like random character legendaries, so they did something about it.
  • And the mods on the forums are great

5 DISlikes

• Catchall for bad character aspects
  • Some characters have awful Dialogue (ugh. Looking at you, Orendi)
  • Some characters were neglected in model development (Deande and some taunts)
  • WF is the red-headed step child to whoever designed OM
  • Marketing. We need(ed) more of it.
  • I saw little more than the occasional targeted ad.
  • The ads we got close to launch were bad… I mean … “Save the THE UNIVERSE”?
  • Story Mode could be better.
  • It does feel tacked on, or at least like they gave it less attention.
  • Don’t get me wrong, it’s still fun, but “protect this doily against the nukes. bai!” Those missions suck
  • Legendaries feel… not
  • Yea, I get it. Legendary gear is FOR the 3rd stat. but I’ll never get to the third stat if the first two are minimum values.
  • I have an Orange Shard Generator with 1.50 shards/second. I didn’t they went that low.
  • Character Legendaries are average, when they should be MAX.
  • The tedious slog to farm story legendaries is… just the worst.
  • Matchmaking / Leavers
  • I’m not talking about Command Rank, I’m talking about skill/effort. I had a game where two of us were decent, and the other three were… letting their dogs play? IDK. We couldn’t win 5v4 (enemy had a disconnect) in Meltdown
  • Why are there not sharper penalties for leavers?! It’s not hard. Don’t put me in a room with them. done. (PvP, not PvE)
  • Tacked on Cheater 6th one:
  • non-pc needs better communication. “ping” is not enough. Also, ping is broken in Incursion for… reasons…
1 Like
  1. First person
  2. First person melee
  3. Guns that don’t reload
  4. An assassin with fans
  5. Two mechs, one with a tiny alien, the other with a tiny alien genius penguin.
  6. Lack of Detritus Ring and Arcfleet.
  7. What happened to the Magna Carta?
  8. Premades that go for kills
  9. Disorienting or lackluster verticality for the majority of the characters.
  10. Hedronic Arc (just feels not as fun as other skills).

1. The unique style of gameplay.
  2. The fact that there is so much content on it. Story, PvP meltdown, incursion and capture.
  3. Too many things I like to narrow down on the others xD
    Dislike
  4. Some character balancing. For example deande she is supposed to be an assassin. Her abilities fit but her stats don’t and it seems like its something easy to do maybe not though.
  5. The fact that it takes them so long to fix the things we are really making apparent. For example the marquis on overgrowth with the sentry. The communityy discussed it for ages but it took so long to actually get fixed (I will admit they are getting better at that. Voxis core was fixed/dealt with very quickly)
  6. Those are the only things that actually bother me love battleborn too much to hate any more.
  7. Actually the fact that aus servers are so dead makes me sad… Not much they can do about it though.