So, I think most people can agree that the loot tier mechanic we currently have (white, green, blue, purple, orange - each increase in colour is equal to +2 levels) isn’t working any more.
The biggest problems are that:
- Once you pass a certain point in the game, you never touch whites or greens again, rarely even look at blues and only sometimes use purples.
- Items in the same tier feel wildly different in power (especially orange). It’s supposed to be 2 levels better than purples and some do several times more damage/DPS.
- The “rare” tiers are now far too common (to deal with the ridiculous RNG caused by anointments) and make the “common” tiers even worse.
So, looking at how the gear is arranged, I’d like to propose a new loot tier system, with some colour changes. Ignore anointments for now, as they just mess things up. Let me know what you think.
- White - base level loot. Normal stats, no special effects.
- Green - better loot. Stats are 2 levels better than White gear, but still no special effects.
- Red - alien loot. Stats are 2 levels better than Green gear. All items have special effects that consume extra ammo (like consuming an extra ammo per shot for a huge splash radius).
- Blue - after-market loot. Stats are the same as Red tier, but items have a part from a different manufacturer, which adds that company’s “gimmick” as well as the base item.
(So, for guns: Jacobs=ricochet, Hyperion=gunshield, Vladof=underbarrel, COV=backpackmags, Dahl=altfire, Tediore=throwreload, Maliwan=elementalswap, Atlas=homingbullets, Torgue=stickies.)
- Purple - unique loot. Stats are 2 levels better than Red or Blue gear. Contains red text and gear has some special effect (like projectiles that travel in a weird pattern).
- Orange - Legendary loot. Stats are 2 levels better than Purple gear. Contains red text and the most powerful special effects.
So, all the alien barrelled guns (like the Carbuncle) become their own tier. You can get unique or legendary versions of these guns, but you can’t get white or green versions.
The crappy legendaries we have (like the woodblocker and handsome jackhammer) which just feel like a mix of two manufacturers, get dropped down to make the blue tier feel interesting again. Again, you can get unique or legendary versions, but not white or green versions.
The weak orange gear drops down to merge with the purple tier, making for something like how orange gear felt in previous games. Crucially, this tier would be made RARE, to feel like a great reward.
And the best legendaries (Kaoson, Monarch, Lightshow, Flipper, etc) get their own tier, where they’re allowed to feel special. This tier - importantly - can only drop under certain conditions, such as higher mayhem levels or maybe even only in TVHM. It’s more like the pearlescent tier from previous games and offers a powerful reward for those who want to push themselves to the highest level. This tier should NEVER drop under normal conditions, as it would feel too powerful against base game enemies.