The problem of Fl4k isn’t their survivability, but that they have nothing standing out from other Vault Hunters. The other games all had a glass cannon character, but as all characters in this game are cannons, Fl4k feels like nothing special damage wise, so all that’s left is the “glass”, which sticks out in a negative way.
Basically at some point you do not need more damage and from that point on there is almost no difference anymore. And while the other characters can build on other aspects of themselves once they reached their “damage output potential”, Fl4k has their pets, which, while usable, don’t make the difference they need to make to make Fl4k as a character more appealing.
There are several possible solutions, like granting more bonuses to the pets to help Fl4k, like lifesteal from all damage the pets do, which would make Atomic Aroma an awesome skill for that or lifesteal from all Fade Away damage Fl4k inflicts, a generally higher focus of enemies on the pets, massive bonuses to the pets while Fl4k is down and a free revive when they kill something and the obvious solution: Fixing Rage and Recover and increasing the amount of health regeneration from all sources.
Many possible fixes aren’t even hard to code as its for the most part about fixing and adjusting numbers:
- Self-repairing System: Make it 2% health regen/second
- Turn Tail and Run: Make it 2,5% health regen/second
- Lick the Wounds: Give Fl4k 2,5% health regen for it’s duration after being revived
- The Fast and the Furryous: Give it a second “active state” (while Fl4ks health is below 50%) and let Fl4k regen 3% health per second while in that state
- Rage and Recover: Fix that skill and extend it’s duration to 5 seconds and that would already make a huge difference for Fl4ks survivability
- Who rescued Who?: Make it 4% health regen/second
- Falconer’s Feast: Make it regen 15% health per target hit
All those would help greatly to make nimble movement with Fl4k (more) sustainable as the health regen would permanently be above or around 20% of their max health per second at least once the health goes below 50%. This would help healthgating at least a bit.
Additionally I would greatly increase the aggro the pets draw, so that the pets have a higher priority than Fl4k. We shouldn’t need a Red Fang class mod to make our pets a good distraction. Increasing the pet aggro with their damage would be one way to do it that wouldn’t feel unnatural as more dangerous animals have a higher priority to be slain in real life as well. I would just scale it in a way that is relative to the pet base damage. If pets currently deal 2 times their base damage due to being buffed by skills, I would also double their aggro draw with that.