FL4K's choice of pronouns

It can also be used as a gender-neutral singular pronoun, as “it” is kinda dehumanizing.

5 Likes

Above, I have explained how it works.

Basic example of how you’ve always used a singular they.

Everyone wakes up in the morning and brushes their teeth.

checks in again…still can’t make any sense of why this thread exists…assumes GBX devs are pissing themselves laughing at this catastrophe…checks out…

4 Likes

Here is my stance on the matter. I am a straight, christian man. I started the Borderlands series with Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 is chocked full with sexual innuendos, and filled with homosexuality, and bisexuality. Moxxi swings both ways, Hammerlock is gay. Tiny Tina likes girls, her parents were both men but she called one of the guys “mommy”. None of this has put me off of the game. In facf, it’s been my favorite game since 2014 when I first started playing it.

Therefore, I wholeheartedly believe that Fl4k’s gender neutrality fits in with the aesthetics of the games. And I doubt they are going to dig too deep to establish that one way or another. It will probably be vague, and hidden in context of lost echos like the vault hunters had in the second game.

2 Likes

Then play FL4K. Seriously, how is it exactly that calling the character “they” instead of “him” or “it” will take away from your enjoyment of the game?

1 Like

@Gut0nez I know I am playing Fl4k… Out of the 4 new vault hunters I like “his” look the best. Like a returned war vet gone hobo who finds themselves in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. And raises animals to help him fend off the hordes of the undead. All while struggling with the fact that he is no longer human and has become robocop

1 Like

How’s Torgue one dimensional? He likes guns AND explosions.

4 Likes

Do you think gearbox will have echo logs that use this in the new game? Fl4k isn’t human in the first place though. I feel the whole situation is silly. Would it be wrong if I had Fl4k as a guy through my play through, despite Fl4k’s pro noun.

Yes. Misgendering a character in a game with a clear gender that has been told to you is refusing to acknowledge those people exist in the real world and a terrible thing to do.

1 Like

Why not some other word? My whole point is They, Them, Their is suppose to reference that there is more than one being, person, etc. I can see how “It” is dehumanizing but Fl4k is not human, FL4k is a computer driven AI.

I literally told you that’s not true.

1 Like

3 Likes

Now I want to read “William and the Werewolf”… :man: :wolf:

4 Likes

But that Middle English though. Tough read.

1 Like

When someone makes an example, they should make sure that it’s less ambivalent :smile:

Personally I don’t play Borderlands or any game to be educated on LGBTQ issues I don’t feel like it’s the correct platform to venture out political correctness. Myself and my partner are both members of it and I feel that its an irresponsible way to connect to that area of the community , as I’m sure the LGBTQ players of borderlands already have their own opinions and don’t need to be force fed someone else’s. Also the playable character is a robot so I’m confused as to where the LBTQ community fits into it, if I’m wrong in this I am open to discussion and I’m sorry if I may of caused offence, was never my intention.

1 Like

Its not education, they just exist in that world. They aren’t teaching or preaching, just people of different backgrounds are in the world.

If I’m standing in line at the grocery store and the person in from of me is gay, its not educational or politically correct, they are just in the same space as me.

7 Likes

A reminder from the FORUM RULES:

Any questions or concerns should be directed to one of the forum moderators or the community manager (@Noelle_GBX)

And finally:

FL4K’s pronouns are ‘they/them’. You are not forced to change your beliefs or viewpoint, but we’re clarifying and confirming that that is how the character is written. Please remember that this forum’s rules include not attacking others for their beliefs.

7 Likes