FOR COMPLETIONIST SOLO PLAYERS: remove lore challenges in which a group is required

Anybody else out there want to complete the master challenge on all characters w/o having to ask friends, and or random group members to play as a specific character/character type in order to complete lore challenges?

10 Likes

LOL yes. I’m having the worst time with Benedicts challenge. I’ve heard boldur’s is even worse. oh well.

1 Like

Meh, they already made them leagues easier. I don’t mind having to kill a few players. I detest PvP, but I don’t really mind dealing with it a little to unlock lore. Gives me a new perspective on the game and how to play.

1 Like

If you’re on XBox Live I’m CyberShinigami1 going to be working on a peacekeeper after I grind out four more ranks as Toby.

Also I admittedly drag out character selection times. If I’m trying to complete a group based lore challenge I sit and wait to see who everyone else in my party will be playing as.

2 Likes

I’m one of those people that likes to get all the achievements. I’m on the fence here since this is a hybrid PvP/PvE game, and the PvE lore challenges are not really challenging. For the most part, they come naturally through playing the character. Some finish quicker than others, but if you’re taking a character to 15 through PvE missions, you’d surely complete 95% of them without trying, providing you switch up your helix choices here and there. Whiskey Foxtrot’s “shank 500 dudes” is one exception I can think of.

I finished Boldur and Benedict just by nicely asking pick-up groups and being patient, but one was completely lucky/random - at character select, the first person picked Benedict, and then a second immediately followed. At the time, I didn’t know about Benedict’s lore challenge, and was kinda miffed, so I picked him out of spite (it’s funny now), and then the 4th player followed - all without saying anything to each other. And since people only need to chose from the faction you need, not specifically Boldur or Benedict, I bet you’d find some people willing to help. If someone asked me, I wouldn’t have a problem choosing an Eldrid or Peackeeper on any specific mission.

1 Like

This is the real problem. I’m not blaming you at all, hwcohen11, as I’ve done that a number of times myself. These days, though, many games can be a wait-fest down to the 10-15 second mark, as everyone else is waiting, too. In these instances, I try to break the ice early, with something like - “Hey guys - anyone planning on playing Galilea? 'Cause if so, I’ll go Alani and ram tidal waves up your nethers all game!” A lot of times, a little joke like that works :wink:

1 Like

…711 hours PvE Advanced and agree with this sentiment.

Worst part for Gearbox is, there are groups who are doing cheesy things to get past this.
I kind of find that embarrassing.

I’d list them here but they are probably considered cheats.

Dear Lord yes, you have no idea how many hate messages, wishes for my suicide, and “love making” other players will do to my wife if I keep this up. I try to explain that I’m doing lore challenges and that they’re not really helping me either, but it seems like its just adding more fuel to the fire. Instead of them saying, “Hey, how about after this match, I’ll help you out…” its, “Lore challenges, thats your excuse, you’re such a loser blah blah blah…”

Really, its childish, but whatever. When I’m done, you won’t see me back in there again. Sorry I’m having to play a character I’m not great at! (Not really, your temper-tantrums are rather humorous)

*Since we’re all gathering here and discussing our personal woes in lore challenges, if anyone needs help on PS4, feel free to add me: I_am_Havoc
That way, we can all be told to kill ourselves together! Wouldn’t that be fun? :laughing:

5 Likes

I’d settle for Gearbox dropping the PvP requirement for the lore challenges of more than half the characters.

As it currently stands, I’ve nearly finished getting the lore mastery for the 13 characters that are possible for me.

Not really sure how I’m going to keep my interest up in this game after that, while I wait for the DLC missions to be released.

I would prefer that all of the “must kill so-and-so X times” challenges be exchanged for “must play on the same team with so-and-so X times” challenges.

and don’t get me started about Kleese’s lore impossible challenge… do the PvP’ers really need people to have yet another excuse to suddenly “disconnect” after the map/character they want isn’t chosen?

1 Like

I am completely in favor of removing or altering all lore challenges that require interaction with other human players. Mostly because playing with other people doesn’t go well for me and I really don’t enjoy it, but also because I don’t really see ‘challenges’ that depend on the behavior or participation of other people as a challenge or test of my own skills, and they’re often just as easy (or even easier) to cheese as playing against bots is.

8 Likes

I gonna go against the grain and disagree with this - I’m doing so because most of the time, all you have to do is ask. And if people don’t go along with it, hey, whatever. Just roll as normal and try again later.

There’s no big rush to get the character’s lore challenges done (at least, to my knowledge), so just try to take it easy. If you can finish it in short order, great. If not, try not to fret, as it’ll come eventually.

2 Likes

It depends on what you’re doing. Are you trying to help the team while keeping an eye towards lore, or are you single-mindedly singling out a particular target every single time you spawn? If you’re trying to help, and are getting called out anyway just because you’ve not got much PvP or character experience, then I say just ignore them.

The thing is - the recent changes mean that most PvP lore is now really just about basic kills. The question is only something like this - are you going to go get yourself killed trying to get first blood as Ghalt, or are you going to wait for it to come naturally? Are you going to get super-aggressive every time Toby’s ultimate is up, or are you going to use it when it makes sense?

Of course, Pendles has that new ridiculous slapping challenge. That one is actually cause for concern (but I will admit - quite funny).

Does Kleese get credit for leaving immediately after the match start? I thought you needed to finish the game to get credit. If not, it should definitely be changed. The other map challenge is that Attikus needs to get a win on Echelon - which means he needs to stay to the end.

The rest are either kill or assist-kill X number of Battleborn in a mostly-normal way (El Dragon, Benedict, Thorn, Miko), kill or assist-kill a specific Battleborn 5 times (Galilea, Whiskey Foxtrot), or just use a skill on enemy Battleborn (Kelvin, Whiskey Foxtrot) some number of times. These can all be done without going 0-20, they just take time … like many of the PvE challenges do. Unless you’re specifically cheesing it, you can’t Black Hole or Shank 500 enemies in one game. you can’t take 1 million damage or fire 50,000 bullets in one round, and so on. People shouldn’t expect to finish a PvP challenge in one match, either (sure, maybe you can get lucky on some, or are just good enough to get 10 or 20 kills in a single match, but it shouldn’t be guaranteed or expected).

For the most part, if you communicate with people and and at least try to work within the spirit of the game, I think it should be fine. On the other hand, if someone tries to, for instance, tentacle slap 50 Battleborn in a single match, no matter how it negatively impacts their team, then I would probably complain as well in that situation.

You didn’t have the pleasure of trying to get 10 double-kills with Toby’s ultimate before the recent changes :wink:

1 Like

I think Kleese’s and maybe Attikus’ are the only that need adjustments. It’s difficult to get Echelon, but much harder to get the capture maps and Coldsnap, especially if I want to play as Kleese (which I haven’t done since the buff because his healing is nerfed), and the new maps exacerbate the problem.

This has been brought up a few times since launch…

Well, I’m playing as Alani, and I was needing to hit 5 people with Riptide, so sometimes I was over-extending myself. I will throw myself to the wolves in an (failed)attempt to pursue this goal. I will admit, that my aim for the heal is not the greatest (WHY DID I HEAL A MINION AGAIN!), and after so many failed attempts I became very apathetic to the match and played rather horribly.

Then, a wild douchebag appeared! He casts vocabular bile… CRITICAL HIT! Target suffers 3m of unstoppable humor.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t really mind challenges like Alani’s riptide lore (even if it’s still a pain in the ass) the worst challenges are the ones where you need to ask a bunch of people if they are willing to help you out by picking certain characters. For somebody like me in Europe it’s hard to get some people online and willing to play at the same time as you.

I’d love to have a way to earn all lore in private PvE (or private PvP at last) tbh. I just want to finish the lore and finally be able to play without minding lore challenges.

3 Likes

i was one of the first on pc who leveled benedict to 15… and i still haven’t finished his lore because of the peacekeeper crap.
It happens sometimes that 2 people pick a peacekeeper too, but 3 others is nearly impossible for soloplayer on pc (would be easier if we atleast had a peacekeeper support)… and that’s only pvp.
pve on pc never starts for me with enough people to even ask for it… usually starts with 2-3 people total.

In meantime i finished Kleese, Orendi, Kelvin, Marquis and nearly completed Pendles, S&A and Toby… but Benedict still only one single match with 3 other peacekeeper and that was at releaseday when everyone picked OM in pve.

1 Like

yep. i’ll be on tomorrow during the day. I’m in MN. gametag masterblizak.