FOR COMPLETIONIST SOLO PLAYERS: remove lore challenges in which a group is required

I am completely in favor of removing or altering all lore challenges that require interaction with other human players. Mostly because playing with other people doesn’t go well for me and I really don’t enjoy it, but also because I don’t really see ‘challenges’ that depend on the behavior or participation of other people as a challenge or test of my own skills, and they’re often just as easy (or even easier) to cheese as playing against bots is.

8 Likes

I gonna go against the grain and disagree with this - I’m doing so because most of the time, all you have to do is ask. And if people don’t go along with it, hey, whatever. Just roll as normal and try again later.

There’s no big rush to get the character’s lore challenges done (at least, to my knowledge), so just try to take it easy. If you can finish it in short order, great. If not, try not to fret, as it’ll come eventually.

2 Likes

It depends on what you’re doing. Are you trying to help the team while keeping an eye towards lore, or are you single-mindedly singling out a particular target every single time you spawn? If you’re trying to help, and are getting called out anyway just because you’ve not got much PvP or character experience, then I say just ignore them.

The thing is - the recent changes mean that most PvP lore is now really just about basic kills. The question is only something like this - are you going to go get yourself killed trying to get first blood as Ghalt, or are you going to wait for it to come naturally? Are you going to get super-aggressive every time Toby’s ultimate is up, or are you going to use it when it makes sense?

Of course, Pendles has that new ridiculous slapping challenge. That one is actually cause for concern (but I will admit - quite funny).

Does Kleese get credit for leaving immediately after the match start? I thought you needed to finish the game to get credit. If not, it should definitely be changed. The other map challenge is that Attikus needs to get a win on Echelon - which means he needs to stay to the end.

The rest are either kill or assist-kill X number of Battleborn in a mostly-normal way (El Dragon, Benedict, Thorn, Miko), kill or assist-kill a specific Battleborn 5 times (Galilea, Whiskey Foxtrot), or just use a skill on enemy Battleborn (Kelvin, Whiskey Foxtrot) some number of times. These can all be done without going 0-20, they just take time … like many of the PvE challenges do. Unless you’re specifically cheesing it, you can’t Black Hole or Shank 500 enemies in one game. you can’t take 1 million damage or fire 50,000 bullets in one round, and so on. People shouldn’t expect to finish a PvP challenge in one match, either (sure, maybe you can get lucky on some, or are just good enough to get 10 or 20 kills in a single match, but it shouldn’t be guaranteed or expected).

For the most part, if you communicate with people and and at least try to work within the spirit of the game, I think it should be fine. On the other hand, if someone tries to, for instance, tentacle slap 50 Battleborn in a single match, no matter how it negatively impacts their team, then I would probably complain as well in that situation.

You didn’t have the pleasure of trying to get 10 double-kills with Toby’s ultimate before the recent changes :wink:

1 Like

I think Kleese’s and maybe Attikus’ are the only that need adjustments. It’s difficult to get Echelon, but much harder to get the capture maps and Coldsnap, especially if I want to play as Kleese (which I haven’t done since the buff because his healing is nerfed), and the new maps exacerbate the problem.

This has been brought up a few times since launch…

Well, I’m playing as Alani, and I was needing to hit 5 people with Riptide, so sometimes I was over-extending myself. I will throw myself to the wolves in an (failed)attempt to pursue this goal. I will admit, that my aim for the heal is not the greatest (WHY DID I HEAL A MINION AGAIN!), and after so many failed attempts I became very apathetic to the match and played rather horribly.

Then, a wild douchebag appeared! He casts vocabular bile… CRITICAL HIT! Target suffers 3m of unstoppable humor.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t really mind challenges like Alani’s riptide lore (even if it’s still a pain in the ass) the worst challenges are the ones where you need to ask a bunch of people if they are willing to help you out by picking certain characters. For somebody like me in Europe it’s hard to get some people online and willing to play at the same time as you.

I’d love to have a way to earn all lore in private PvE (or private PvP at last) tbh. I just want to finish the lore and finally be able to play without minding lore challenges.

3 Likes

i was one of the first on pc who leveled benedict to 15… and i still haven’t finished his lore because of the peacekeeper crap.
It happens sometimes that 2 people pick a peacekeeper too, but 3 others is nearly impossible for soloplayer on pc (would be easier if we atleast had a peacekeeper support)… and that’s only pvp.
pve on pc never starts for me with enough people to even ask for it… usually starts with 2-3 people total.

In meantime i finished Kleese, Orendi, Kelvin, Marquis and nearly completed Pendles, S&A and Toby… but Benedict still only one single match with 3 other peacekeeper and that was at releaseday when everyone picked OM in pve.

1 Like

yep. i’ll be on tomorrow during the day. I’m in MN. gametag masterblizak.

Really, dude? That was the EASIEST of his lore for me. Find four other players willing to all take peacekeepers (some doing challenges for OM, Monty, or Benny), group up, do a few missions together. BAM. Cyber headshot.

You just gotta ask!

And for the two weeks that Lootpocalypse was on, into the Humble Bunde phase, I was getting 5-man PvE groups very very regularly - maybe 50% of the time. Sometimes, when it loaded 2 people, I would ask the other guy if he wanted to 2-man or jump back in the queue for a larger game, and very often the person wanted a larger game (like I did) so we both quit and got back in the queue.

I’m not lucky, I don’t play 8 hours a day, and I’m probably around average-good, but if I can do it - you guys can to. Just try asking and communicating and don’t let a few games where you tried and that didnt work get you down - just keep asking. The other thing that helps is when you do get a good game, with people who are talkative and sound pretty mature - friend them after the match. There are 15-20 people who have friended me or I friended them - we don’t talk over steam, but often, when starting a match, people will simply invite everyone on their list and you can get a ton of 5-mans that way. More than I ever thought I’d get, since I’m going it solo most of the time myself.

1 Like

Just FYI - I don’t play Alani a lot, but I will play her on specific missions just for this reason. If you get a 5-man group on Heliophage, you can normally get 2-3 5-man hits right at the start, in the elevator, and another once everyone’s standing on the teleporter to Rendain. In the second mission, you can normally get one activating the final boss, and once you teleport to Varelsi space. If you’re quick, you can sometimes also get one before Wolf opens the first big door, depending on your team. You can also sometimes get them during the trap areas of Sentinel, if your team’s together. There may be other places, too - but anything with a 5-man activator would be a good spot, and right at the start of a mission if you’re quick.

Well, since many people seem to agree these group lore challenges are shite… Any four PS4 players want to team up to do all of these challenges? Talking Boldur, Benedict and whoever got similar lore :’) (seriously I’m gonna cry I’ll never get those)

While forming groups ahead of time is obviously the most guaranteed way, I still encourage folks to ask in pick up groups - you never know who you’ll be grouped with. Lots of people want to finish these.

Also … pay attention during the scene where they introduce your team’s characters and they all taunt. There’s some interesting text that pops up beneath the character names.

I don’t wanna ruin it for anyone, but they’re pretty hilarious when you have 5 of the same character. Kudos to Gearbox, yet again, for above-and-beyond polish. :clap: I laughed my arse off the first time I saw those messages.

Also, 5 Boldurs all doing the bum flash taunt is pretty epic :slight_smile: It’ll be worth the wait!

You got a point there. But I have social anxiety and I can’t really get myself to talk to strangers over a mic and I can’t even dream of asking them for help. It’s hard enough for me to talk to people I added in advance… So that’s sadly not gonna happen.

I still wish I could just unlock the lore without teaming up. I’d pay 25k credits to just avoid communication over a mic :disappointed:

4 Likes

that’s funny mate.
lol

Well, what I’ve found normally happens in public games, is there’s usually that one guy who ALWAYS sits way behind everyone. But it’s alright now, went on a spree on Monuments and got it completed finally. Perfect map for it.

I second you, OP.

…and yet, Gearbox still hasn’t changed that aspect of the lore challenges have they???

I suspect, until they do, that you will continue to see threads like these get created every so often (and I will continue to reply with my support in every one I see!)