Hoping you can give me some direction on how to resolve this weird issue I’m having. First here’s the situation:
- i7-6700k Skylake CPU (non oc’d, using it at stock)
- PNY Geforce GTX 970
- 16gb DDR4 (evga memory I think?, 2400mhz)
- Gigabyte z170x (gaming-5)
- ~550ish Antec PSU
- 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD’s (where the game is running)
- 3 monitors (2 Dell 2412m, 1 Dell 20 incher)
I’ve got the onboard GPU enabled on the i7 for Quicksync functionality when using Twitch or other streaming capabilities.
Battleborn stays consistently at 20-30FPS in game, it tends to be towards the lower end 21-25fps in almost every single scene I play the game in. This seemed wrong, so after comparing to a few other PC’s with similar specs (i7-4790k’s, i5’s,etc & Geforce 970’s, 980’s) it is clear that I should be getting close to 50fps at the least at 1080p.
Tried a number of things but first I tried to identify a problem. Fired up GPUZ and EVGA PrecisionX to attempt to monitor the problem. The graphics card immediately showed me the issue. The GPU stays stuck at 848mhz or 1050mhz core clock no matter what. It will NOT run at full speed (12-1300mhz, depending on turbo clock) with gpu or memory on the GPU (memory stuck at 1780mhz). I then proceeded to test the following:
- In game, set every graphical setting to low or off, set resolution to 1920x1080, ensure graphics card driver had all settings set to off.
- Attempted removal of drivers for Nvidia, using DDU and rebooted to safemode for removal. Reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers - 368.22
- Attempted removal of drivers again, next used older march driver (364.72).
- Attempted using a single monitor for all gaming.
- Attempted using Lower resolution of 1280x1024 or less.
- Attempted shutting down Intel GPU within the BIOs.
Finally the results and possible theory?
So upon all these tests I discovered that the GPUZ would showcase the PerfCap reason as “UTIL”. Now this suggests that the Graphics card has been fully utilized, which it obviously isn’t maxing its core capabilities or memory bandwidth, I then decided to compare this to other games that have no issues on my PC. I loaded DOOM to discover that it was VREL perfcap or Ark, again VREL perfcap reason. This suggests to me that somehow the game is not working properly with the driver. I then decided to attempt one last time using the following set of tweaks:
Again no joy with these tweaks enabled in the ini files on the game.
There has been several posts on reddit/steam/etc, that seem to suggest an OS reinstall would solve the issue. I will make an attempt with this as soon as I have a spare drive (incoming shortly). I will not replace this OS permanently with it, but I feel in the interest of good troubleshooting/helpfulness with the game community this maybe useful to know the results.
So with all of this having been performed, is there any additional support team info that you could provide? Any checks, debugging mode or some kind of logging I can generate that might be helpful to the support teams? Let me know what I can do to help document this weird issue.