FPS low while neither GPU nor CPU are used 100%

Hi,
I tweaked the game visuals and all as fine as I could for hours, but lowering them more doesn’t change a thing.
I can’t get either my GPU (Radeon R9 280X) nor my CPU (AMD FX8320 - 6 cores/3.5gHz) to be near their max potential even while getting low fps (40ish or lower) :

The GPU is overclocked at 1170MHz as seen on the lower screenshot.

Why is that? It doesn’t happen on other games. Is it poor optimisation?
I’d like to get higher FPS, either by lowering the settings, but even with all in-game settings to low it doesn’t help, or finding another way. Thanks for any help

Anyone? In three days of playing a lot,I haven’t seen my GPU usage get higher than 80%.
This is really pissing me off, especially when it gets down to hardly 30 fps and my GPU/CPU work at 50%.
I have 16GB of RAM and I play at 1080p

The problem is you are using and older processor, which is missing tech the game needs. Basically you put an old engine in a new car, and the computer of the new car does not know how to optimize it. Just it looks like you video card and processor are from around 2013, and we are only getting 31 frames on a similar setup when running medium. Now on this computer I get around 53 frames per second on utlra with a 60 inch TV:
https://www.gamingtribe.com/profile/fb_10154071479274561/pc

Also this is the min system requirements:
MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD FX-8350 or Intel i5-3570 - you do not meet the min
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2 GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 75 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

The FX8320 I have is a lower clock version of the 8350 if I recall correctly, anyway it’s way underloaded when I play. So you say I shall limit my fps at 30 to not have drops basicaly?

Sadly the 8350 is a bit more than just an underclocked 3570. We are getting lower frame rates on medium with a FX-9590. Your best bet is to set everything to the lowest graphic setting, and hope you can play. Also check your motherboard, because you can probably slot a FX-9590 or other AMD+ chip to fix your performance issue.

I’ve spent hours tweaking the graphics, setting them lower doesn’t change a thing. Most things are on low or disabled. Everything at low gives me maybe 5 fps more in the best case but that’s it.
Even setting the rendering resolution to 75% or 50% doesn’t improve performances (I feel like it gets it worse actually but it would be so stupid that I’d rather not mind that), which is all the more hard for me to believe my hardware is too bad. I can play for example the Witcher 3 at 60fps and at 100% the “1080p” resolution (my display is not 16:9). Imo the graphics gap between the two is small if not null

The problem is you processor is missing architecture this games needs to run. Like how it handles the L1 ad L2 cache and lot more that has changed in the last 7 years. Another way to think of this, is most hardware becomes obsolete about every 6 years. As in it will no longer play games coming out.

Like my 6 year old gaming laptop plays Borderlands 3 OK on medium, but it will not play Doom Enteral. Also if you want to double check what I am saying:

I have an FX9370, which I almost never used, but it is a power eater. I think it consumes 250W on paper https://cpu.specshero.com/en/amd-fx-9590-vs-amd-fx-9370-power-consumption/comparison-121-122-10
I tried it when I built my computer and saw it wasn’t worth it, don’t know why. Just like now it ran at low %

I would try that, simply because it is newer chip that supports some of the newer architectures. And yes the Bulldog line was really power hungry. I have a 1000 watt power supply because of the FX-9590. Oh and to give you an idea what I mean, the same slot supported a wide array of how the chips were configured. Like you could have a video card and 3 core processor, a single 6 core, or two 4 cores. And each time they monkeyed with stuff they added more functionality to the processors just like shades for video cards.

Just this game was build from scratch on the Ryzen processor, so that is what it really likes. I just had to laugh when I got the system specs after upgrading my desktop and realizing I bought the parts this puppy wanted.

F***! It wasn’t Borderlands nor my PC at all, it was AMD chill mode.
It’s the thing that limits the framerate to avoid oversampling your monitor and overload your GPU, except I had it to 30 fps when “afk”, except it doesn’t work well.
In fact, when playing it was maybe struggling to decide if it was enough “in the heat of action” or something like that and the framerate was low with low GPU usage because of that!
I now have it on 50 fps max AND min (because it dips to the 50’s in wide areas), and I get 50 fps all the time!