Freezing (and occasionally crashing)

primarily happens in slaughter shaft/slaughterstar.

error msg: the ue4 oakgame game has crashed and will close. low level fatal error [file unknown line 3455 retry was not successful] followed by a lot of 0x000 things.

alternatively, the game will simply freeze as if it’s a throwback to a scratched disc on ps1. audio/vibration will still be present but on loop. this is more common.

i went from directx12 to 11 and back. i play on windowed borderless. reduced graphics quality.

running win10. i know the pc can handle it because it’s my buddy’s, and he had bl3 on here with a lesser gfx card, and when he sold it to me he upgraded the card. so i’m just really unsure of what to do. don’t want to keep restarting my pc or the game when there’s no guarantee it’ll even work.

err

Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

You’re the third person I’ve seen recently experiencing problems while running an nVidia card. At least one of those people managed to resolve their crashing issues by reverting back to an older version of the driver than the most recent one, so you may want to give that a try.

apparently my driver hasn’t updated in a while. it’s currently on 461.40. the latest release is 472.84.

would you recommend trying the most recent update and then going backward to the next-most recent?

edit: tried the latest of both studio and game ready. froze at claptrap loading screen. lol.

edit 2: saw a post where someone turned off mob mentality. i did and finished the dlc. also, received a response from 2k. recommended that i run a system file check and repair, verify integrity bl3 files, then run the game in clean boot. i did all - it repaired some files, files were validated. tried slaughter shaft and made it 90 seconds before fatal error again.

ALWAYS run the most recent driver for your video cards.

Another thing to check would be to make sure that you have XMP enabled in your motherboard BIOS for your RAM. Unless you’re running the oldest DDR4 RAM on earth odds are you’ll need to enable XMP to get the right memory timing settings for it. In my case, even using an older i7 8700k with PC3600 DDR4 RAM with a CL14 memory timing, the difference between having XMP on is about 12% faster frame rates than with it off in BL3. It’s also much more stable with the XMP enabled.

BL3 is a very memory intensive game and getting those memory timings right can make a huge performance and stability difference.

1 Like