Crashing with a “ran out of video memory” popup: roughly 50% of the time in Mercenary Day when I shoot the giant snowflakeman. Also crash randomly when just shooting stuff (anywhere). I mostly play Mechromancer and seems to be related to Interspersed Outburst triggering.
Played 700+ hours over the years on Win7 x64 with a variety of video cards ranging from a 5870 to a GTX980 without ever seeing this “out of memory” crash.
I upgraded from Win7x64/2500k to Win10/8600k in Aug 2018, played roughly 40 hours between Aug and Nov 2018 without crashing (on a GTX980).
Crashing started Nov 2018 after upgrading to an RTX2080ti - also moved from 1080p to 1440p. I’ve played maybe 10 hours total since then, on average crash every 20 minutes or so (not including the places that I almost autocrash like Mercenary Day).
This machine has no issues doing other things; Witcher 3, RE2, EvE (abyssalspace), CreationEngine games with ENB’s, etc.
Fixes I’ve attempted:
- Three clean Win10 installs
- Compatibility modes (win7 win8)
- Disabling fullscreen optimization
- Ingame vsync off/on
- Driver vsync off/on/adapative/fast/etc
- Two clean BL2 installs
- Deleting Borderlands 2 folder from mydocs (after backing up my saves) to rebuild default settings
- Physx High/Med/Low (I usually play in low)
- Clean video driver installs using DDU
- Video Drivers it has crashed with: 398.36 - 398.82 - 399.07 - 411.70 - 416.94 - 417.71 - 425.31
- Other things that I can’t even remember
Essentially, whenever I install a new GPU driver I play BL2 for a bit, it crashes, and I go “yup that didn’t work” and repeat every month.
FWIW: At my settings, BL2 generally sits around 800-1000mb of VRAM usage while playing.
I will start playing a different class and hope this gets sorted out eventually. Not really holding my breath though, as it seems to only affect a very small percentage of people. If it was symptomatic of all RTX cards you’d expect to see a lot more posts.
After reading around a bit more I’ve seen people with 1070ti/1080ti’s reporting the same issue. The Pascal/Turing cards seem to be the only thing we all have in common.
I just flashed the most recent mobo (ASRock z370) bios and will see how that goes. Also plan on moving from winver 1809 to 1903 soon.
I should probably mention that I’m using a Steam installed BL2:
- Fully updated
- No mods
- No UHD texture pack
- No ini tweaks (all setting changes done ingame)
- I only play single player
- I use gibbed just to zero out my XP so I can stay L50 with all DLC installed (because I’m really bad!)
- Drivers are installed standalone (no Geforce Experience)
- Not using DSR or any reshade type things