Game Freezes during Leviathan Fight

I’m encountering a strange issue while I’m in the Leviathan boss fight. a few minutes into the fight my game pauses and displays a pure white screen for a few seconds then goes back to the fight. This will happen 3 times in about a minute then on the 4th time my game locks my computer completely up and I’m forced to power down manually and power back up.

The weird thing is the game works perfectly fine for hours on end outside of this fight and have zero problems with other characters in other parts of the game.

I’m on Windows 10 with a ROG 2080Ti vid card. I’ve already tried updating my video driver, reinstalling video drivers completely, verifying my game files on steam, running in Windows 8 compatibility mode and turning down my video settings and resolution.

Any suggestions? My character is stuck and I can’t get him out to play other parts of the game until I get through this fight.

1 Like

Did you change any of the .ini settings or install the UCP (or other mods)?

Not sure what UCP is but I didn’t install any mods or open up the .ini file. This is just a standard install from Steam with all the offered DLC.

That’s a new one. :blconfused:

I take it you validated your Steam files?

Yeah, I did. I agree this is strange!

Do you have the upgraded textures/4K enhancements installed? If so, can you disable them and re-run the area?

Check your journal to see if the video drivers had an error and needed to disconnect and reload. This can happen with NVIDIA drivers.

For a summary:

Computer Management > Event Viewer

For details sorted by time:

Computer Management > Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrator Events

Lots of useless info will be there. If you cannot find anything useful, then make note of the date/time when it happens again and look for any log entries around that moment.

2 Likes

Thanks for all help so far. I didn’t have the the 4k enhancements installed I didn’t realize it was a separate download from Steam. What I did was completely uninstall Borderlands 2 and reinstall.

I tried the fight again and the same thing happen, 3 white screens then a hard crash on the 4th screen.

I checked the event viewer and this is what I see:

This message occurs 3 times, pretty sure these line up to the 3 white screens that recover per my original problem statement.

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 4/27/2019 12:59:55 PM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-SU4GRE0
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
DESKTOP-SU4GRE0

nvlddmkm

Then on the 4th time where my computer locks up and I can’t bring up task manager forcing me to restart I get this message

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 4/27/2019 1:00:33 PM
Event ID: 4109
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-SU4GRE0
Description:
Application Borderlands2.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
DESKTOP-SU4GRE0

Borderlands2.e

After this I get a slew of other warning and error messages for other windows services and application which are probably related to the crash of my system. After this I tried to install the HD texture pack to see if I get the same behavior which I do. Again all my other characters play fine, I don’t have this problem. What ever my issue is, this fight is triggering it.

1 Like

Hey folks,

I ended up working around this problem by installing the game on my laptop which has a 1060 card, completing the boss fight and saving the game.

I went back to my desktop and went through the room with no problems and back in the game.

Thanks for all the advice on this.

1 Like

Hol’ up…

You installed Steam on your laptop, downloaded the game, brought your save games over, loaded this character up, and got past the Leviathan.

Then, back on your PC, when you load this save game (Cloud Sync, I imagine?), with the Leviathan dead, you got to hit the treasure room?

Specifically, I’m not sure what the fix was. There’s a side mission in Oasis where you get a second run at the Leviathan and that room… if/when you get there, have a go at it on your PC, and see if you get the same problem? It might tell us if this was a fluke and/or some hitch with your save game file (as opposed to a legit issue with something on your PC).

I have the same problem but with The Warrior fight on my Gaige, I have an RTX 2080 Ti + 9900K on Z390 Motherboard. Also I noticed the white screen/freeze occurs when I’m shooting and only then (I’m almost certain after some testing).

I was previously playing the game on Windows 7 with RTX 2080 Ti + 6700K and it worked fine, so I can rule out the graphics card dying or having an issue with it.

This happened on a new install of windows 10 and no I can’t use Windows 7 with 9900K/Z390 motherboard as there is no drivers support for anything other than Windows 10 64-bit.

Edit: I killed The Warrior in coop session whatever that made the white screen/freeze in The Warrior encounter for me didn’t happen in coop.

2nd Edit: Asus my MB manufacturer released a new BIOS/UEFI update about a week ago after installing it my issue is now gone. Wanted to update my post in-case anyone is still searching for an answer it might help.

1 Like

Also had this problem on my Gaige, I have done the fight without issue in the past, although i am unsure if I had my current graphics card (1660). I am also on win10.

For me, this seemed to be caused by interspersed outburst procs, avoiding letting it trigger or wasting the proc on a rack/crystalisk allowed me to avoid the issue for the second half of the fight.

If I end up fighting the warrior again, I’ll try respecing out of the skill but with bl3 round the corner I doubt I will.

This has been noted before. You may still be able to use IO without freezing if you turn down the Ambient Occlusion setting - that has apparently worked for others. IO releases a pretty dense particle cloud…