Game Informer's Harsh yet Honest Review

I agree. He spent a lot of words to say “Not my cup of tea”.

3 Likes

I agree on the count of numerical ratings being a poor way to do things to begin with.

But really, you can’t expect objective ratings on anything, since the very act of stating if something is good or bad is completely subjective. Reviews aren’t objective by their very nature.

I only had a legit failed group mission once. That was when I got a group of noobs that respawned instead of waiting for a revive. Even other games played with other noobs were better since most know to wait by reading the on screen indicators, and by listening to those of us who actually have mics…

These are like raids. I am guessing this guy has never played an MMO before where some raids take several hours to complete. These take me no more than 30 minutes to play after just a couple runs, with randoms… 30 MINUTES IS NOT A LONG TIME.

Ah, this explains it. Console player.

======================================================================

Here is what I have a few more posts down to 'splain…

Well, maybe I should have put a few more paragraphs in there about why his review from a console version of the game is largely at fault then.

He has issues with mission length and character control and readability of the UI in and outside of screen sharing. These are all issues unique to consoles and explains much about why the review was negative.

He takes issue with other forms of gameplay which are from games he has no access to on console. (MOBAs)
He takes issue with ranged characters, “shooting feels stiff and unsatisfying”. It’s hard to shoot stuff when you usually have an aimbot aiming for you.
On melee characters. “Run up to foes and wildly swing in their general direction”. It’s hard to accurately point at a player and hit them without an aimbot assist and hard to move around when relying on a slow moving analog stick.

GI’s Overwatch review was given a 10, and has objectively less content with less skill required to play it and a far more generic art style (as well as literally copying the entire gameplay model from TF2). It is tagged with “PC” which, presumably, means that is what the review experience is from. (EDIT: BB review is tagged PS4)

So, when I bring up that it is console player review and dismiss him, it is because his review means nothing to me as a PC user. The review might still be useful to other console players, but should be taken with a grain of salt by other PC users.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Agreed wholly, nor do I expect them to be, but there is an added burden when they put it on there. It is presented as formulaic, where it isn’t. That is really my gripe. That is why I’d rather just read the the review itself. Just give me the content, and let me decide. I prefer it that way.

Remember gentlemen and ladies.

No platform wars.

They’re against forum policy.

This might be a flaw in my character, but when presented with reviews that have numerical ratings I always read the best and worst first. I decide whether or not the author’s view is even worth considering based on my personal critique of their worst and best.

If the best and worst reviews aren’t even written by the same person, I skip the whole review section.

Well, I think that is reasonable.

You’re more so seeing which games they preferred and for what reason (or to what enthusiasm) than your giving weight to their actual rating.

If anything, it is a good shortcut.

1 Like

Well, maybe I should have put a few more paragraphs in there about why his review from a console version of the game is largely at fault then.

He has issues with mission length and character control and readability of the UI in and outside of screen sharing. These are all issues unique to consoles and explains much about why the review was negative.

He takes issue with other forms of gameplay which are from games he has no access to on console. (MOBAs)
He takes issue with ranged characters, “shooting feels stiff and unsatisfying”. It’s hard to shoot stuff when you usually have an aimbot aiming for you.
On melee characters. “Run up to foes and wildly swing in their general direction”. It’s hard to accurately point at a player and hit them without an aimbot assist and hard to move around when relying on a slow moving analog stick.

GI’s Overwatch review was given a 10, and has objectively less content with less skill required to play it and a far more generic art style (as well as literally copying the entire gameplay model from TF2). It is tagged with “PC” which, presumably, means that is what the review experience is from. (EDIT: BB review is tagged PS4)

So, when I bring up that it is console player review and dismiss him, it is because his review means nothing to me as a PC user. The review might still be useful to other console players, but should be taken with a grain of salt by other PC users.

2 Likes

Ah, I see what you mean @lazlolonghair.

Genuinely, my apologies, as your avatar and final sentence made me assume that it was a matter of comparison as opposed to applicability.

(Changing the last bit in that flagged post should remove the flag though, automatically if I’m not mistaken).

Thanks for the clear up.

That’s ok, it was a bit dickish looking and should have been expanded on before shooting it out.

1 Like

Even as a predominantly console player, the entire undertone of the article was “I like playing CoD style games, and not much else”. That writer shouldn’t have been picked to do the review on the basis of clear bias and not exactly review smart.

1 Like

I didn’t get the slightest hint of him implying he “only likes CoD style games.” Perhaps that’s your bias snaking into it. The ol’ “If somebody doesn’t agree with me they must be stupid.”

2 Likes

possibly, but if you take it as ‘i dont like this, i like to opposite’ its not hard to see it. Plus i never said the writer was stupid, dont throw insults. Merely that maybe the reviewer wasn’t the best choice to do that particular review. Read all of what is written before knee jerking.

1 Like

EEeeehhh, I got a little of that vibe, but for a different reason. As I had eventually stated it looks like the reviewer was used to games that work a certain way on consoles. BB is a game that really takes a hit on that platform because of the things I had stated.

If he was a CoDer I would have expected more complaints about how it takes so long to kill and how health doesnt auto fully regen after hitting cover for 5 seconds, etc.

I really just dont think this is the type of game the dude would get into. I would like to see more reviews like this done by people with a history in the genre’s of the games they are reviewing. I also take blog post reviews very lightly anyway, since they are completely opinion pieces. The last post from this guy was in 2010 (as recorded in his profile).

I’m curious what he has been doing since then.

1 Like

I read all of what you wrote, don’t worry. You called him “not exactly review smart” (how would you like it if I called you 'not exactly grammar smart?) which isn’t exactly the opposite of calling someone an idiot. Also you accused him of “clear bias” where there really isn’t any. At least none you’re able to indicate, except for declaring an “undertone” you seem to feel is so obvious it doesn’t need any more clarification than that one word.

But yes, if you read whatever you want into it and put words into his mouth you could probably interpret it as… whatever you want. You got me there.

There is a vast difference between not knowing much about a given form and being an idiot.

No need to get into arguments here.

2 Likes

Okay, so what evidence are you basing your assertion that he doesn’t know very much about this form/genre? Was it when he correctly described all of the modes available in the game? Was it when he explained what MOBA’s were? I’d be interested in knowing what EXACTLY makes you feel he’s unqualified to be writing this review, why he isn’t “review smart” and where he mentioned anything relating to CoD whatsoever (even with “undertone” that apparently can only be sniffed out by a bloodhound). The only other game he mentioned was Borderlands, which I think is a pretty fair thing to do in a review about a game by the makers of Borderlands.

Hey. Cool it.

Anyone continuing to post like they’re looking for a fight should expect an official warning.