TLDR: Look at this screenshot: http://puu.sh/giqiq/4dcf45c538.jpg Intrigued yet?
First off let me just congratulate Gearbox on succeeding. HW:R is everything you promised and then some. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not dropping the ball on this and delivering more than I had ever hoped in my wildest dream. Honestly, anyone who says differently is severely out of touch with reality. This is after all a re-master and not a remake. I am particularly excited for the mods!
ps. please fix multiplayer kthanx.
I have finished HW1:R and is busy with my second play through and that brings us back to the screenshot. A couple of interesting things to help find out what is going on here (because I have absolutely no clue, but a few theories).
- This play through is a no salvage play through.
- I’ve only built two salvage corvettes and they have only ‘salvaged’ one of the assault frigs on the 3rd mission.
- I have less total ships at the start of this mission this run than I did in my previous run through.
- Similar to my last play through I have not built a single strike craft so far. I have only relied on light and heavy corvettes, assault frigs and a few ion frigs.
- Unlike my last play through I have two support frigs, a drone frig (although I built that in mission 7 not mission 6) two repair corvettes and 15 of each heavy/light vettes instead of 10 of each I believe. That’s all I can remember off the top of my head
- My previous run I saw a total of 7-9 Multi beam frigates over both missions, that screenshot has 28.
- I did not see ANY multi beam frigates at the start of mission 7 (actually not sure if I saw ANY in mission 7, only mission 8)
- Those 28 frigs? They are the very first ships I saw in mission 7, even BEFORE the cut scene with the diplomat.
- Have saved the game at that spot. I have not restarted the mission yet to see if I can replicate this but will report back when I do
Now as to WHY this happened. So far I have heard everyone complain that the kadeshi missions are too easy and my first play through confirmed this.
I have a theory that these missions does not consider salvaged ships as being part of your fleet for purposes of calculating what ships you’ll face. Because my entire fleet consists purely of ships I myself have built my fleet carries a lot more weight than most who have a largely salvaged fleet.
Another theory is that this is some kind of easter egg, either from the original code or from Gearbox that has some obscure trigger. Perhaps not salvaging any ships ever, perhaps because this is my second play through or because I have beaten the game already. Perhaps because I salvaged all of the multi-beams in my last play through. Perhaps the trigger is the drone ship I built and will be my first test by not building it at all.
So any thoughts/suggestions?