Gearbox Community Badass: Kitty_Jo (Mod Tribute Part 2)

Gearbox Community Badass is a new feature we’re trying out as a way to recognize members of the Gearbox Community for their creative efforts – be they cosplays, artwork, community events, guides, or any other means of letting their Gearbox flag fly! Each week, we’ll spotlight one of our awesome community members and the cool things they’re doing. Anyone is eligible to be a featured community badass, so being a member of the forums isn’t required (although it helps since this is where our badasses will be featured!) Additionally, every featured Badass will receive a “Legendary” forum badge, so it’ll be hard to enjoy your flair without a forum account, right?! Please note that while each week’s Community Badass will be selected by forum staff, nominations are welcome and will be taken into account. If you’d like to nominate someone to be a Gearbox Community Badass, just PM @JoeKGBX with your nomination!

This week, we’re again paying tribute to one of our Dedicated forum Moderators, @Kitty_Jo! KJ is a hugely positive voice on the forums and they wouldn’t be the same without her. She’s been around for quite a while and is always willing to offer her wisdom to any thread may want (or need) it. Kitty_Jo has helped the community through multiple titles, lots of locked threads, and even the dreaded move from the old forums. she’s such a fixture around here, that our own Randy Pitchford popped on the forums to wish her a Happy Birthday last year. Everybody loves KJ! We appreciate everything she’s done for the community as we know you guys that know her, do as well. On behalf of of everyone here at at Gearbox and the whole community, thank you Kitty_Jo for the countless hours of service you’ve given to all of us. This place truly wouldn’t be the same without you!

Now – everyone dry your eyes and enjoy Gearbox Community Badass: Kitty_Jo Edition!

*How long have you been playing Gearbox games?*
I joined the party later than some. The first Borderlands was my first taste of Gearbox ... and it tasted good. So 7 years I've been playing.
*What's your favorite Gearbox title?*
Without a second thought, the original Borderlands. That is one of the very few games I've played that I still play to this day. What was it, 7 years I said above? I've been playing that game 7 years and still love it all the same. I still laugh at the jokes and priceless quotes. In fact, I started a whole new character again just the other week. I'm not sure if I should be proud or concerned over the sheer amount of characters i have in Borderlands 1, but it's a classic. And will always be one of my favorite games ever.
![image](upload://yRJUdq28c9EM93f1MK7SqRJmJV6.jpg)
*How long have you been on the forums now?*
I have been on the forums since early 2012. So 4 years roughly. A bit of a late bloomer. Forums were never my thing before that. I would browse this wonderful place prior to having an account to read the Borderlands 1 forum. Eventually, I found myself here so much that I figured I might as well make an account and join the shenanigans. This forum is addictive.
*What does a "Moderator" do and how did you become one?*
Is this a test? What happens if i get the answer wrong? I poke at buttons. Sometimes bad buttons. Sometimes wrong buttons. Other times just to see what the button does. Wait, I shouldn't be saying this. As moderators, we try our best to keep this place as welcoming as possible and weeding out those who are having a negative impact on the community. I think that's what sets this forum apart from others, in a good way. A lot of forums I see are unruly and overall just not friendly. They're not places Id want to be. But we strive here to be better than that.

I Still question why Jeff and Chris F. gave me such responsibility. I’m half convinced it was an attempt to humble me – ha! But sure enough in 2013 I was privileged to become one. I was extremely active, helped as much as i could and reported the bad things. I thank @Psychichazard for a lot of what i know. He’s taught me so much and helped me grow into the position and overall just be a better person. There is no one better to look up to and to have lead by example than him.

What’s your favorite thing about the forums?

You guys! If it weren’t for the eccentric community that has been built here, I wouldn’t be here. Over the years I’ve made some lifelong friends because of this place and i am so thankful for each of them. It’s because of everyone here that i keep coming back. Each one of you add your own unique twist to the forums and that helps make the great community we have here. If I ever have a bad day, I can always count on everyone here to make me smile and laugh. This forum is my home away from home and always will be thanks to everyone who makes it.

Any advice for the would-be Mods out there?

Be active, helpful, and understanding. Lead by example. Use common sense and don’t be a dick. But mostly, just be a good person. The community thrives on good people.

Who’s your overall favorite Gearbox character?

Mordedai, but you already knew that didn’t you? Surprisingly he was not my first choice when I first played, Lilith was. Mordecai’s appearance threw me off and I thought he looked weird. But after giving the weird masked fella a try, I ended up falling in love. No other character in the whole series even comes close to how much I enjoy him. From his skill trees, to Bloodwing, his affinity with pistols it’s all just lovely. That lethal strike, his sarcastic wit, and that giggle when he pops a headshot. I just adore everything about him as a character. My pride and joy among all my gamesaves is my Truxican. No sweeter sound than when that lethal strike procs.

To commemorate my love for the first game in the series, I got a fairly simple tattoo of the skull with wings found in some scopes crossed with Mordecais blade. Got it years ago and I still dont regret it despite being told I would multiple times.

What are you most looking forward to seeing from Gearbox in the future?

Borderlands 3 without a doubt. I am beyond excited to see how Gearbox will evolve the series after the amazing success of Borderlands 2. I look forward to the new characters they’ll introduce for us to love (or hate) and where all of our old favorites will be. Mostly just excited about more story and lore. I know people say Borderlands has no story, or not a very good one, but I disagree. Its one of my favorite aspects of the series. From whats told in the games to the novels and comics. I cant wait!

46 Likes

Hooray for kitty, who also kept me in line for a long time before I was a mod.

This place wouldn’t be the same without you.

13 Likes

/doffs hat.

KJ is my favorite person that I’ve never met. Her personality shines through this forum, and is frankly far too nice, and kind, and thoughtful to be a moderator.

When I found out that she’d be joining team purple, I knew that Gearbox forums would be okay.

Best.
Mod.
Ever.

(Yeah, other purples, you’re fine, you know that, but c’mon…KJ sets the standard.)

11 Likes

We all know kitty is the best, no worries

8 Likes

I just realised that when presented with moderating problem, I do find myself thinking ‘what would Kitty do?’.

Okay, sometimes that turns out to be nicer than I can be, so I think ‘what would a slightly EVIL Kitty do?’, and I go ahead and do that instead.

12 Likes
17 Likes

Congratulations Kitty!

(Because i dont have a better image on the harddisk)

10 Likes

Er…That was my fault…I mean…I may have had something to do with that. Sorry.

6 Likes

ive always thought highly of KJ, she gave me some pointers on Mord stuff years ago on the old forum shortly before she got Mod status and is a prime example of why GB forums is (are? Can a grammar wizard solve this for me, subject verb agreement is important) one of the few online communities I participate in at all.
Thanks for helping keep the place cool ma’am.

4 Likes

The day has finally arrived. The most badass badass has been crowned.
Congrats kitty you should have been crowned this long ago

6 Likes

Allow me to pile on more congratulations! @Kitty_Jo is WAY more than just a “Forum chambermaid”. Time for some celebratory cake!

8 Likes

How i think i look right now

How i really look right now

You guys are making me feel all warm and fuzzy :3

14 Likes

I can say this same thing about PH.
“Your sigs too big. Change it.”
“Your sig is still too big. Change it.”
“Why havent you changed your sig?!”
“SIGGGGG”

-I Become a mod-

“Good. Now she has no choice but to change it.”

It was all a ploy to get me to behave, I’m telling ya.

13 Likes

KITTY <3
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

congrats on the badassitude lady, extremely welll deserved

7 Likes

Typical of the sort of mistake I’d expect from anything associated with Gearbox! This Moderator frequently participates in silly, off-topic threads, being friendly and cracking wise, which has been improving overall morale and camaraderie among forum members!

How am I supposed to lodge angry, entitled complaints about games I bought at sale prices, when there’s all this stupid cheer and goodwill being spread? Be warned, I have secured legal representation, and they will be aggressively handling this matter if my demands aren’t met!

But seriously, I’ve been on forums a long time, and left most of them because the moderators were, well, petty, power-hungry, crappy humans. But this place has great mods for some reason, and Kitty Jo seems the best of them all.

Well, at least until the next patch. I hear v2.2 buffs banhammers.

8 Likes

Yay! Congratulations Jo. :smiley_cat:

http://i.imgur.com/7otoRQQ.gif

http://rs717.pbsrc.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Congrats/599d1325.gif~c200

7 Likes

Congrats! Although wasn’t this supposed to happen on Friday? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Congratz @Kitty_Jo !!!

I believe in the good old time when i was making Borderlands 2 wallpapers you requested these two babies.

I also started off playing BL1 solo as Lilith but as soon as my friend got the game i started playing Mordecai. Sniping with my pistols :smiley:

8 Likes

Haha! That was a good laugh. Thank you @Qmzn. That means a lot coming from the likes of you :heart:

Shhh no one was suppose to know that.

OH MY SEVEN. That butt wiggle!! :heart::heart:

Blame Joe. -slinks away-

Ah yes. I remember when you made those! Good ol days.
Thanks, buddy :slight_smile: :heart:[quote=“VaultHunter101, post:11, topic:1540870”]
Time for some celebratory cake!
[/quote]

CAAAAKE!!![quote=“FunkJunkie, post:9, topic:1540870, full:true”]
ive always thought highly of KJ, she gave me some pointers on Mord stuff years ago on the old forum shortly before she got Mod status and is a prime example of why GB forums is (are? Can a grammar wizard solve this for me, subject verb agreement is important) one of the few online communities I participate in at all. Thanks for helping keep the place cool ma’am.
[/quote]

Aw thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: It was my pleasure.
I am no grammar wizard though, but I believe you have it right.
Do i get a wizard hat now? I want a wizard hat.

8 Likes

Best I could do on short notice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes