Gearbox Community Badass: VaultHunter101

Gearbox Community Badass is a new feature we’re trying out as a way to recognize members of the Gearbox Community for their creative efforts – be they cosplays, artwork, community events, guides, or any other means of letting their Gearbox flag fly! Each week, we’ll spotlight one of our awesome community members and the cool things they’re doing. Anyone is eligible to be a featured community badass, so being a member of the forums isn’t required (although it helps since this is where our badasses will be featured!) Additionally, every featured Badass will receive a “Legendary” forum badge, so it’ll be hard to enjoy your flair without a forum account, right?! Please note that while each week’s Community Badass will be selected by forum staff, nominations are welcome and will be taken into account. If you’d like to nominate someone to be a Gearbox Community Badass, just PM @JoeKGBX with your nomination!

Community Badass is back again and this week we’re featuring forum member @VaultHunter101. What’s the deal with VH? The first line in his first answer pretty much sums it up – giving back. VH is a positive and knowledgeable presence on the forums. We could drone on forever about VH, but the most succinct way to put it is that he’s a great example of what’s best about the Gearbox community. Without anymore stalling, let’s hear from VH!

What would ya say ya do here?

Mostly, I just try to give back. I lurked a fair bit in the old GBX forums before signing up, and learned a great deal about the game from many of the regulars (particularly @Chuck80, @Derch, @HeyCarNut, @MidnightNova and a whole bunch of others) They’ve got me through several tough patches (particularly my first time through BL2 UVHM), so I identify strongly with anyone who’s likewise struggling with the game. It’s also a great community just to hang out and interact with - my XBL friend’s list is made up mostly of folks I met here first.

How long have you been playing Gearbox games?

Since around 2010 I think? My son got me into playing the original Borderlands a bit after it came out, but at least a year before Borderlands 2 was announced. I really didn’t know what I was doing at first (especially because he kept killing everything before I’d even figured out the controls) but, once he let me get on with it myself, I was hooked.

What’s your favorite Gearbox title and why?

Anything that starts with a letter ‘B’! If I had to pick one, it would probably be Borderlands 2; it’s certainly the one I’ve got the most hours in. BL1/BL2/TPS and Battleborn are probably my top four games overall, though.

What is it about that one that always keeps you coming back to it?

Good question. I really enjoy the exploration and loot aspects (no coincidence that I’ve also got a lot of time in Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4). The other thing is the story and characters - there’s something about the absurd humour in the whole franchise that keeps me greatly entertained. Well, and explosions: it’s also a great way of letting off some steam and relaxing when life is a bit stressful.

Who’s your favorite Gearbox character?

If I had to pick one, it would be Maya. First, she’s a siren; second, she loves books; and third, she’s amazingly fun to play. I mean, just look at this class mod - awesome, right?

By the way, a BIG shout-out to all the artists at Gearbox - the amount of care and detail you all put into your work is amazing. I’ll add the artwork to the list of things that keep me coming back to these games.

If you had a real-life Action Skill or Ultimate Skill, what would it be?

Teleportation. Seriously, it would make my daily commute SO much nicer!

What’s your favorite thing about the Gearbox Community?

Hard to pick one thing, but probably the fact that such a diverse group of individuals all find it a place to call a virtual “home”. Take the Off-Topic section, for example: it can be extremely silly, but also highly supportive and encouraging. There really aren’t too many on-line communities as positive and welcoming as this one.

Any social media, Twitch, or YouTube channels you’d like to plug?

The Gearbox Forums! Other than that, I think Rath sums up my views on social media best:

31 Likes

Grats on the BA title VH! :smiley:

9 Likes

Gratz buddy ! :smiley:

7 Likes

Another one joins the collective. Yes, yes, this is good.

7 Likes

You are the baddestass (badassest?) of all community badasses. But I must correct you when you said…

…and shared a picture of the Legendary Siren COM, I know you meant the Legendary Binder! :wink:

9 Likes

They’re all so good, I can’t decide between them. So I have them all! Fortunately, you can make a Maya build that works pretty well with a good selection without having to respec all the time.

6 Likes

This is the beauty of Maya, her two favourite words are synergy and versatility.

Edit: Oh, and congrats!

2 Likes

┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

8 Likes

VH101 is the Ultimate Badass, as far as I’m concerned.

Always has been, always will be. An exemplar of what this place is all about. Totally reliable. Always helpful and friendly to new folks, without fail. Calm. Positive. Thoughful. Badass.

12 Likes

Congrats Vault. Long overdue.

8 Likes

…Same exact story here.

8 Likes

Yay! Congratulations

8 Likes

Congratulations @VaultHunter101, it’s well deserved :smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations, @VaultHunter101!

Yes, tis certainly a silly place:

9 Likes

About time! I’ve been waiting for him to get the honor.

Congrats buddy!

11 Likes

A HUGE congratulations, old friend!

Like, MONTANA huge!

No, more like 5 Montanas stacked on top of one another in a very silly fashion huge!

These forums are amazing, and you are a shiny and shining example of what helps make / keep them so!

Multiple thumbs up!

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

:facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

:sunglasses::sunglasses:

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m picturing five players picking Montana in character select and then all running the same taunt together… (Did that once with five Benedicts for a lore challenge - hilarious!)

And thanks to you and everyone else!

3 Likes

My pleasure, buddy.

Thank YOU for years of awesome friendship / tips / fun!

3 Likes

If the forum were the night sky, Vault Hunter is our North Star. Often feels like some one made an AI to post useful info and we’ve not all caught on to it yet. (Except me, I’ve found you out.)

The real comedy was the moderators discussing if we were really certain that Vault Hunter wasn’t a CBA already a while back. It was the forum equivalent of everyone in the family forgetting to pick up the kid from school, we were practically all like; “HOW DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?”

Anyway, I forgot what I was on about.

Oh yea, keep posting nice stuff.

6 Likes

Congratulations.

5 Likes