Gearbox's Randy Pitchford Steps Down As Gearbox Software President

• Displeasure doin’ business with ya! - Crazy Earl
  • Heh-heh, thanks for the Eridium, chump! - Crazy Earl
8 Likes

Thanks for sharing, but will it have any significant impact? Is Steve any different than Randy?

1 Like

Wont be doing any magic tricks hopefully lol

6 Likes

They say he steps down but according to the article he got promoted!

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one :muscle:

2 Likes

jo what?
that came out of nowhere

1 Like

Just some corporate restructuring. As Gearbox has grown a bit as of late, it simply needed more structural positions to function. Its not uncommon. Shouldn’t change things much on the customer end.

2 Likes

Saying he’s “stepped down” is misleading. He didn’t retire. He side-stepped or, more accurately, stepped upward.

4 Likes

how much higher can you go from CEO of GBX?
did he join 2K?

2 Likes

More like he’d end up at Embracer Group, since they’re the folks that bought GBX. 2K is a publisher-developer arrangement; AFAIK they don’t have an ownership stake at this point, just licence agreements?

3 Likes

He basically just relocated his field of work from the general CEO primary to a double-lead position as CEO and lead of Gearbox’s new media department. I think that it’s a more fitting role for his personality. Don’t know the new lead of “Gearbox gaming” (or rather I never noticed him specifically), but ideally he would be a more business-oriented and level-headed person. But we will see, probably from the game after Wonderlands onward. So if Borderlands 4 sucks we know who to complain to (just joking).

For us as consumers that could mean a lot, like a sudden shift in priorities and practices. But from the track record it looks like the “new guy” has a solid history, especially with the Borderlands franchise.

3 Likes

Until the merger with Embracer there was no one that could have made Randy step down, no matter how bad people might have wanted to. Gearbox was a privately owned company with just minor public stakes, mainly in form of the publishing deal with 2k regarding the Borderlands IP, although we to this day have no real insight into this deal. Randy was the CEO and co-owner of Gearbox and to my knowledge he was the only one left as current owner (I might be wrong here, so please correct me if I am!).

So yes, Randy being repositioned could be a result of the merger, but we will never know for sure most likely. And that is probably for the better.

3 Likes

The articles saying he ‘stepped down’ are a joke, he stepped up to be head of all the gbx things as gbx has now split into 3 divisions

4 Likes

Are we under the assumption he is going to do CEO stuff and not be as involved in the actual content of games like Borderlands as he used to be? If so, I don’t really see the point in complaining. It’s basically what happens in any business, except, as in this case, only a certain demographic (gamers, in this case) is ever aware of it when it happens. Be interested to see how the company works with three divisions now.

There probably isn’t any. Randy should be less involved in the gaming side of things, just from his new positions alone. But that might not be a “Randy is out and about” kinda thing as it depends on how clear the lines are drawn at Gearbox. Still, I would assume that the devs will have way less of Randy in their lives, for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like