Giu's Wine, Spirit & Cocktail thread

So guys, I figured I’d do my best to assist some one whose in the mood for a mid-afternoon drink, nightcap or general tongue loosener.

This thread may tank, but if I can help anyone, I’d be glad to lend a hand.

Date night? Need a wine to pair with your food? Ask Giu!

Looking not to break the bank but seeking a good wine/cocktail! Giu again!

Have limited materials and need a recipe? Mine will probably suck! But I am willing to try!

Ask what you will and I’d be glad to lend any sort of hand.

__

Disclaimer: Giu is a wine proprietor, but not a licensed professional or a psychiatrist. He has no qualifications above neurotic adoration for booze.

Don’t know much about wine really. I know I like a red and something dryer. So if I want to go fish what would be a good wine ?

At the risk of me sounding more confused than Brick when he he is taught literally anything, I am not sure as to whether you meant what goes well with fish or whether you’re just “fishing for a good wine”.

If you’re speaking specifically of Fish, then it is probably one of the more difficult categories to choose.

Salmon, Snapper, Bass, Halibut, you name it and there is a vastly different pairing of wine for it.

Usually the rules with fish is you can go either two ways; find a wine that makes up for how the fish naturally is and how it will be treated.

I.E. With Sharks (I wish to say that the finning industry is an abomination so I don’t sound like a damn poacher), they’re usually treated in vinegar because of a VERY high ammonia taste. This means that you’re almost required to choose a fuller wine in order to combat the vinegar taste, even though the meat of the shark is actually on the lighter side.

So if you meant fish; how do you like your fish and what kind?

If you meant you’re fishing for a good wine. I usually suggest that a Valpolicella (Ripasso, as Amarones can rack up a pretty penny) is actually a really great way to gain a palate for nuances in wine. Ripasso has a fair deal of body in it, but is also a wine with a subtlety and a few defined notes. They’re very much on the dry side too.

I am more looking for something that would go well with a Salmon

I like reds

Excellent.

Salmon is actually one of the more interesting dishes you can pair wine with. I usually pair whites with fish, but I prefer red wine to white on most occasions.

Pinot Noir is known for being a sipping wine, and it is exceptionally popular on its own or with hors d’ouevres. Oddly enough it goes super with lightly seared salmon, or just any salmon that hasn’t had “too much done to it”. Most people will tell you to go with a Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, or a Monterey one. Both amazing, but they do tend to ring up a bit depending on the vintner. Oregon will give you some really light bodied, dry, Pinots of really good quality.

If you have a cream sauce on it, or anything else that gives the salmon a bit of texture, go for a Syrah.

A REALLY odd pairing is if you like to pepper up the Salmon or give it a dry rub. Shiraz comes off naturally pepper, especially from Down Under.

If the way you’re going to prepare it is not listed above, just tell me and I’ll be glad to change the pairing.

1 Like

Suggestions for an excellent sweet vermouth? I’d love to be able to make a stellar manhattan, but haven’t hit it yet, and suspect it’s the vermouth.

The vast majority of the times it is the bitters which throw off a Manhattan.

Could you tell me what you’re using in it as it stands?

Boubon is typically Woodford Reserve.
Sweet Vermouth is Gallo (what my local corner liquor store had).
Bitters is Angostura.
I prefer candied cherries in them, but haven’t found a good source around here, so been using maraschino cherries.

Is it kosher if I call vault soda + aristocrat vodka “Hobo’s Delight”?

Hm, I usually say that mixing a bourbon with a sweet vermouth is a difficult little bit of alchemy. Bourbons always have that syrupy corn after taste, and sweet vermouth tends to compound that. Gallo is essentially one of my least favorites to deal with in regards to Sweet Vermouth.

In any cocktail, it is usually best to control your bitters, sweet, sour, and citrus with the use of a single ingredient. I’d suggest trying a really dry whiskey (perhaps a rye) and change up the sweet vermouth, then alter it from there (reverting back the bourbon once you’ve mastered the balances). Also, make sure to let the maraschino cherry bleed out a bit before putting it in.

Don’t get me wrong, Bourbon can make an amazing Manhattan, if not some of the best. It does although force you to rely a great deal on the bitters to balance it out.

Use Martini Sweet Vermouth. It isn’t super expensive, and it is used often enough that most recipes on line will probably use it as one of their standards. G&D and Opici are lower cost alternatives that are pretty decent. If you want to mess around a bit without taking a toll on the wallet.

Without a doubt. I’ve heard far less PC cocktail names. Also, the Aristocrat could be replaced with Georgi or Nikolai to give it that “my liver will be on the black market soon” taste.

Thanks for the suggestions. My quest continues…

It is my pleasure mate. Please feel free to report back, I’d be glad to help with any steps.

I prepared pisco sour yesterday. AND THE PEOPLE LIKED IT xDDD

Have you tried it?, it’s a peruvian drink. Piscola is chilean though xD

I was literally typing “No mate, I haven’t” until I remembered trying it at a bar about 6 years ago.

I couldn’t recreate it if you paid me to. I’ll definitely check in to it now though.