On behalf of the entire team at Counterplay, thank you for coming with us on our journey through Aperion. Thanks to the feedback and guidance from YOU, our players, we’ve forged a stronger and more engaging Godfall since we launched over a year ago!
One of our many aspirations with Godfall’s gear system was to create “the tinkerer’s dream” - a deep and engaging toolkit for creating builds that resonate with each and every player’s unique playstyle. After the releases of Primal and Cursed gear last year, we were excited to see the variety of builds shared in our Reddit, Discord and Youtube communities.
When it comes to the tinkerer’s dream, one point of feedback we’ve been keen to address since launch is the role of your Valorplate and its lack of unique gameplay identity. We took a cautious first step by updating our ailment system with the Lightbringer update, allowing each Valorplate to use their ailments for different purposes - whether playing as Typhon to chill the enemy and slow its speed or playing as Moebius to curse the enemy and reduce its damage output. Since then, we’ve been eager to take the next step to address this feedback further.
That’s why we want to talk about Valorplates today! After absorbing months of feedback and suggestions, we’re ready to fulfill the power fantasy all you Valorian Knights are craving!
Valorplates have always had a core mechanic or ailment they focus on, along with a unique augment constellation and powerful Archon Fury ability. Despite this, there weren’t enough “game changers” in each Valorplate’s playstyle, and as a result the moment-to-moment combat loop for each Valorplate felt too similar.
Introducing, Valorplate Shards. With our next major update, players will be able to unlock four unique Shards per Valorplate. Every Shard contains a power that will transform the combat experience in ways that set each Valorplate apart.
In this blog we’ll unveil the Shards of four Valorplates, with more to follow in the upcoming weeks with additional blogs. Please keep in mind that the information (the numbers, visuals, or descriptions) are not final and subject to change before the update goes live. Let’s dive in!
Roar of the Righteous
- Banners become supercharged whenever you perform a Polarity Attack within the Banner Aura
- Supercharged Banners grant X Weapon Technique charge speed, Polarity Attack charge speed, and Shield charge speed
- Whenever you defeat an enemy with a Weapon Technique, the enemy drops X Technique Orbs that you can pick up
- Orbs grant X Weapon Technique charge speed for X seconds
Shield of Courage
- Whenever you perform a Shield Ability, you have a X chance to restore all of your Shield charge and gain X damage on your next Shield Ability
Way of the Lion
- X of the Weapon Technique damage you deal is stored in your Vengeance Meter (Max: X damage)
- Whenever you perform a Charged Heavy Attack, expend your Vengeance Meter to unleash a shockwave that deals damage equal to the amount expended
Stone of Brilliance
- Whenever you hit a Weakpoint, fill X of your Vengeance Meter
- Whenever you use your Life Stone while your Vengeance Meter is full, expend your Vengeance Meter. You and nearby allies gain X Overhealth per second for X Seconds
- Shield Throws hits count as Weakpoint hits
- Whenever you hit an enemy with a Shield Throw, gain a Weakpoint Charge that grants X Weakpoint damage (Max: X charges)
- Your Banner unleashes a shockwave every X seconds that deals X damage and reveals enemy Weakpoints
- Whenever you hit a Weakpoint while within your Banner Aura, extend the duration of your Banner by X seconds
Way of the Sunbird
- Whenever you hit a Weakpoint with a Heavy Attack, deal X additional Breach damage
- Whenever you Breach an enemy with a Weakpoint hit, gain X Takedown damage for X seconds
- Your Polarity Attack deals X Breach damage and creates Unstable Ground for X seconds that deals X Breach damage per second
- Whenever you perform a Takedown on an enemy that is on Unstable Ground, extend the duration of Unstable Ground by X seconds
- Whenever you deal Soulshatter Damage equal to at least X of an enemy’s max Health, deal X Breach damage to the enemy
- Deal X damage and X Breach damage to all enemies within your Banner Aura every X seconds
Way of the Anvil
- Whenever you perform a Takedown, gain a Battle Charge that grants X Takedown damage and X Breach damage (Max: X charges)
- Whenever you perform a Takedown while you have at least X Battle Charges, unleash a shockwave that deals X Breach damage
Dust of the Earth
- Whenever you hit an enemy with a Petrifying Slam, deal X bonus Earth damage that inflicts Poison
- Whenever you perform a Petrifying Slam, create a Poison Cloud for X seconds that deals X Earth damage per second
- For each enemy hit by the slam, gain X Poison power while you are within the cloud
- Whenever you consume Poison, X of the damage is stored in your Vengeance Meter (Max: X damage)
- Whenever you hit an enemy with a Weapon Technique while your Vengeance Meter is full, expend your Vengeance Meter to deal Earth damage equal to the amount of expended and inflict Poison
Line in the Sand
- Whenever you place your Banner, unleash a shockwave that deals X Earth damage and inflicts Poison
- Whenever you hit a Weakpoint while within your Banner Aura, increase the power of each Poison stack on all enemies within the Banner Aura by X
Way of the Mountain
- Whenever your Sundering Slam becomes fully charged, consume Poison from nearby enemies. If any Poison stacks were consumed this way, unleash a shockwave that deals Earth damage equal to X of the damage dealt
We hope you have enjoyed this special sneak peek of the new Valorplate Shards, launching with our next major update. The team is so excited to bring you a new and powerful toolbox to really push the limits of Godfall’s combat!
Stay tuned for our next blog post where we do a deep dive on the role Shards play in the player’s loadout. We have a few surprises that we are eager to fill you in on.
Game Director, Counterplay Games