Good mods to play that are actually complete?

I’m trying to find some good remastered mods to play on the steam workshop, but almost everything seems to be for pre 2.0 patch or not really something like a map or a total conversion or complete. Is there anything fully playable?

2 Likes

Nothing is ever really “complete” :smile:

1 Like

This impressive mission by @b8factor:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746511899

3 Likes

I will let other people judge whether or not it is “good”, but check my Wing Commander total conversion for 2.0:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403171608

It has three new factions with AI, research and building trees, etc., as well as new features like fuel and ammunition consumption. It’s not complete, but definitely playable. We’re working on a fourth new faction, then it’ll be time for more campaign mission (there is a demo single player mission in the mod already).

3 Likes

Yep, that one is good… I’ve been trying/failing to beat that map for ages :slight_smile:

Seems cool :smiley: I played it a bit.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. It’s centered on carrier warfare (tactical jumps are incredibly limited, with no hyper generator and just some hyper buoys deployed by special ships while strike crafts, albeit extremely powerful for their size/price, have limited fuel and ammunition) and due to the very small size of the team, I’m always welcoming bug reports and try to fix them ASAP. It works properly in MP, BTW.

3 Likes

So I’m thinkig, are you literally the only one with a finished HWRM mod? I think you are…

2 Likes

Kinda, yep. But this is for many reasons:

• I got gifted a very large number of ships with high-definition textures, for all classes and several factions, reducing the required workload massively,
  • I had an initial Total Conversion to work with, that did a good job but was technically very basic, replacing factions but without adding new mechanics under the hood like several big names did,
  • the Steam Workshop structure allowed me to do a rolling Beta, with the players as QA testers reporting bugs and crashes that I could fix very smoothly on the go, unlike in the ModDB era in which most teams organized themselves,
  • I had a workflow that would make our beloved devs yell at me and hire hitmen (they are right, I took shortcuts I shouldn’t have, and I had to fix various problems later, but I did not need some advanced functions anyway),
  • finally, I did not try to do advanced coding and tinkering like the shields shenanigans from the Star Trek or Stargate mod teams.

In the end, this combination of factors allowed me to port an already finished product and improve on it gradually. First port the low-definition HW2 mod to HWRM, then replace the existing factions with their HD versions as soon as the new content became available, then fix the unholy mess that my code was. I reached good playability only a few days ago, with the AI finally doing actual stuff for all factions. It will still need a lot of additional work, though.

The other teams are not working in the same conditions, with the same assets or with the same goals, with the proper tools like DAEnerys still being in development, therefore they necessarly take longer to reach the point for a release.

7 Likes